Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Academy Over 18 gigs

Options
  • 15-02-2015 6:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 27

I know there's been a few posts about this, but a lot of them aren't so recent so I thought I'd ask again to see if there's been any change (although I doubt it)

Im going to a gig in the Academy in April, but it's over-18s, which is kinda strange as the band are more associated with teenagers, but whatever. Anyway, how strict are they with the whole Id thing? I wouldn't chance going without one so I'll get a fake or borrow someone else's, but do you reckon they'd cop on? I'm 16 but i do look a bit older than I am, and without caking myself in make up too so that it won't be so suspicious and look like I'm trying to make myself older.

Also, what's the worst they could do? Turn us down? There's only three of us going and tickets were cheap. My fear is that if I borrow someone else's id - they'll take it off me. Would they do that?

I've been to Academy gigs before where they were selling drink but it was only over-14s...

Any help or experiences would be much appreciated :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

If you're a woman, they'll ask you for ID. If you even look like you're maybe underage, they'll ask for ID. And even if you give them the fake ID, most bouncers will pull a question out of the air, and people flounder with this one. If your two mates are also underage, you won't get in. Grow a beard.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,933 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

The guys on the door at The Academy are really on the ball and if you look young you WILL be asked

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭Saruwatari

Yeah what the other chaps said, it's too risky.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭nxbyveromdwjpg

I wouldn't think they have any right to keep your ID.

I'd give it a shot, as you said worst that can happen is you get turned down.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,933 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

nm wrote: »
    I wouldn't think they have any right to keep your ID.

I'd give it a shot, as you said worst that can happen is you get turned down.

When I worked the doors I confiscated any fake id's I found and gave them to the cops, they were always delighted and sometimes popped round to the kids houses and spoke to the parents.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27 catb

Thanks for all your replies. So does anyone reckon I should just try it anyway with fake/ borrowed ID or should I just leave it? My friends cousin got into an over 18s gig there when he was only 14, but it's different for guys I guess.

catb wrote: »
    Thanks for all your replies. So does anyone reckon I should just try it anyway with fake/ borrowed ID or should I just leave it? My friends cousin got into an over 18s gig there when he was only 14, but it's different for guys I guess.
    I'm thinking your friends cousin doesn't exist. If it's borrowed ID, and the person gets into trouble, my bets the buck will be passed to you, and you won't be seeing any gigs for quite a time.

I'd say if you need fake ID to gain access, you won't gain access.

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭Viva La Gloria

I've been asked so many times for ID at the Academy... 3 fond memories in particular.

At the New Found Glory gig in November (which was over 14s), I was asked how old I was by the bouncer.
    I'm 27.

When I went to Rancid in 2012, I realised as I was heading up to the venue that I didn't have any ID on me...so I ditched my friends to walk in by myself; they stopped me at the door and asked me my age. "Ehhhh, 25??!" Luckily my brash response was enough to get me in unscathed :P

Then at Less Than Jake last year I was immediately asked for ID at the door, followed by: "HOW OLD ARE YOU??" as if I couldn't possibly have just turned 26.

I don't look like a child, I swear!

I'm guessing it's "Rory and the Island"?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,861 ✭✭✭RayCon

At this stage this topic should become a sticky it pops up so often.
    YOU WILL NOT GET INTO THE ACADEMY IF YOU ARE UNDERAGE. YOU WILL BE ASKED FOR ID.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭Level 5 Vegan

Yeah I've seen loads of people turned away at the Academy. Both underage and others who had just forgotten their ID.

Yeah I've seen loads of people turned away at the Academy. Both underage and others who had just forgotten their ID.
    It's humorous when they come back ten minutes later with a different coat, etc, on, thinking the bouncers won't cop.

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭ts_editor

RayCon wrote: »
    YOU WILL NOT GET INTO THE ACADEMY IF YOU ARE UNDERAGE. YOU WILL BE ASKED FOR ID.
    Sure, but not before:
    THOSE NUMBERS ARE FOR INTERNAL COUNTING - YOU DO HAVE A STANDING TICKET

RayCon wrote: »

Haha, just came in to say exactly that since there was a similar post here a few weeks ago.

Underage folks; Dublin venues in general are very strict, the Academy takes this to a whole new level. If you are underage you will very likely not be admitted. Do not get your hopes up about seeing your favourite artist/band there, do not get your hopes up because your cousin's mate's dog's uncle's younger sister got into a gig there with a post-it note with her name scribbled on it, do not get your hopes up at all.

However, do by all means go down and chance your arm, but just don't expect much or put yourself in a position where you'll be devastated if a doorman refuses you entry.

Advertisement