Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Lansdowne Road Riots - 20 years ago today

Comments

Loved seeing lads getting their heads cracked with batons

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Quite tame when you see some of the violence around football worldwide these days.

:pac:

article-2331342-00E70AF500000190-323_634x446.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,402 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

rarnes1 wrote: »

article-2331342-00E70AF500000190-323_634x446.jpg

Lol I've never seen that before

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Jaysus I'm getting awful ould :(

ireeng34-390x285.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,720 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

I was there - there really was a poisonous atmosphere around Lansdowne that evening

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,428 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

thebaz wrote: »
    I was there - there really was a poisonous atmosphere around Lansdowne that evening

I was not at the game but was in the area that afternoon.

And your right the atmosphere was poisonous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

thebaz wrote: »

My grandfather says the same he said you knew something was going to kick off at some stage during the game. I was 7 at the time and he wanted to bring me but I had school and wasn't allowed go by my mother. I guess I was kinda lucky not to go to that game.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭fuzzydunlop85

Remember being at the game but was only a young fella so my memory is a bit hazy, remember my father seemed very uneasy before and during the early parts of the game and I couldn't understand why.David Kelly scored the goal if I remember correctly !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Wasn't the story that groups of Neo Nazi groups with a tenuous interest in football (more an interest in fighting at football grounds) targeted the game, many of whom would have been banned from football clubs in the UK? That's what I remember of it anyway.

EDIT: yep, Combat 18. Good refresher on the incident here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lansdowne_Road_football_riot

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,653 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

Ah i remember it well,
    Was in co cork watching it, the local new age travellers ( crusties) had also made the trip to town
    Was good craic, mostly because we were winning :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,290 ✭✭✭✭rob316

I was there with my dad I was 8. I don't remember much only crying because my dad said we are leaving after Ireland first scored. I didn't understand why until I saw the news later.
    I asked him about a few years back actually and he just said he knew something was gunna happen there was a real violent feel to the atmosphere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,850 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

rob316 wrote: »
    I was there with my dad I was 8. I don't remember much only crying because my dad said we are leaving after Ireland first scored. I didn't understand why until I saw the news later.
    I asked him about a few years back actually and he just said he knew something was gunna happen there was a real violent feel to the atmosphere.

yep you just knew... it was a matter of time. We were in the schoolboy terrace and from what i recall there was plenty of goading of the English also after we scored.. we were far the better team and then they had a goal chalked off for offside and then the billiard balls started being aimed at Eddie McGoldrick down our left wing and it only got worse after that. Anyone remember the two English fans who were either brave or totally stupid who managed to infiltrate our terrace pleading for us not to goad the English as it would be carnage and they were here for just the game.. yadda yadda ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Chelsea Headhunter Jason Marriner was one of the big trouble makers that night

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,057 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Chelsea Headhunter Jason Marriner was one of the big trouble makers that night

Hopefully many a Gardai baton connected with his thick skull that night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

It begs the question , are England really suitable opposition for the friendly scheduled for this summer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

It begs the question , are England really suitable opposition for the friendly scheduled for this summer

It's this summer. Not summer 20 years ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

I don't think there was any trouble last year at Wembley. Anyway times gave changed from 20 years ago. Well I hope so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

It's this summer. Not summer 20 years ago.

Wonder will the Guards view it that way, or will they consider it high risk and need more bodies on stand-by than usual
    i.e. Extra hassle

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,057 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

IT will definitely be regarded as high risk.

I am sure England will have a few scumbags over with them, whether they cause any trouble or not we'll have to wait and see. I think it'll be fine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭iDave

I doubt there will be problems this year. FA and FAI have well learned their lessons now. I don't think there was any trouble at the Scotland England game apart from some IRA chants.
    Its amazing just how bad things were in football. Lansdowne was a decade after Heysel which you would of thought would of been a catalyst for better change. I remember English targeting Germans after the Euro 96 defeat, fighting Tunisians on a beach in France 98 and water cannons being used on them in Euro 2000. WC 2002 was the first tournament I remember the English not causing too much trouble.
    Were they always the worst for this or were the Germans, Italians etc just as bad just not as well reported?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭bullvine

I was there, I was in the stand under neath the trouble, we could see all the timber been ripped up and thrown on the pitch. I was only 20 at the time and I remember been pretty scared have to say. My wife then my girlfriend was with me, as you can imagine she was terrified. I remember a Irish Fan, grabbing the union jack from somewhere and start dancing on it on the pitch, made things even worse.

It was funny being on pitch, member thinking how bizarre it felt, nothing like your average football pitch.

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭obriendj

I was in the south terrace. I was 14 with my schoolboy £2 ticket.
    I remember we were shouting SCUM SCUM at them. Then there was a rush and we were squashed up against a fence. We were ok tho.

It started when we scored but then it calmed down again. But Matt Le Tisser had a goal disallowed and then it really kicked off. David Platt who was captain tried to calm them down but they threw a seat at him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Think it was Platt that had the goal disallowed. It was offside in fairness. Relations between the countries are a lot better now. On TV shows ,and maybe in general, I think they root for us in matches that they're not involved in. Farcical planning putting them in the upper tier obviously. A gang of animals. While I don't buy into the whole "Best Fans In The World" carry on, I am hard presses to think of examples where our national team's fans have caused any hassle. Long may it continue.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

bullvine wrote: »
    I was there, I was in the stand under neath the trouble, we could see all the timber been ripped up and thrown on the pitch. I was only 20 at the time and I remember been pretty scared have to say. My wife then my girlfriend was with me, as you can imagine she was terrified. I remember a Irish Fan, grabbing the union jack from somewhere and start dancing on it on the pitch, made things even worse.

It was funny being on pitch, member thinking how bizarre it felt, nothing like your average football pitch.

You brought them both to the game, you deserved a smack of baton:pac:

Was there myself in the schoolboy section, we were in the corner behind the goal to the right of the uptier the England 'fans', was a mad atmosphere.

Remember being pushed out of the way by a few Irish older lads looking to get closer to the action and lecturing us 10 yr olds about following English club football!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,978 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I wasn't at the game but I remember watching it in shock. I was very proud at the way the majority of the Irish fans acted that day. It could have been a disaster if this had happened in the wrong part of the world but for the Irish fans to act as they did at a game against the 'auld enemy' made me proud.

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭JB81

Wasn't at game but remember doing an essay on it for English class on current events.
    My grasp of English language and word meanings obviously wasn't up to scratch as i remember i titled it - The Lansdowne Road Massacre!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,042 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Was the day of my confirmation and when we next played them it was my birthday.

When is the next friendly planned for?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Was the day of my confirmation and when we next played them it was my birthday.

When is the next friendly planned for?

your funeral!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

kfallon wrote: »
    Jaysus I'm getting awful ould :(

ireeng34-390x285.jpg

I remember seeing that kid's face and saying to those around me "There is the front cover of the Irish Times tomorrow..."

We were watcing it in a pub in Blackrock, most of the group jumped in a van and went up the ferry in Dun Laoghaire to "see the English off". They had a lot of fun, by the sounds of it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

iDave wrote: »
    I doubt there will be problems this year. FA and FAI have well learned their lessons now. I don't think there was any trouble at the Scotland England game apart from some IRA chants.
    Its amazing just how bad things were in football. Lansdowne was a decade after Heysel which you would of thought would of been a catalyst for better change. I remember English targeting Germans after the Euro 96 defeat, fighting Tunisians on a beach in France 98 and water cannons being used on them in Euro 2000. WC 2002 was the first tournament I remember the English not causing too much trouble.
    Were they always the worst for this or were the Germans, Italians etc just as bad just not as well reported?

Wherever has a lot of unemployed disenfranchised young men.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

How I remembered it was that not a whole lot happened, other than Gardaí perhaps settling the score as they can do once the game was abandoned.

The night before and the atmosphere during the run up to kick off outside the ground I remember being 'nastier'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,720 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

dfx- wrote: »
    How I remembered it was that not a whole lot happened, other than Gardaí perhaps settling the score as they can do once the game was abandoned.

The night before and the atmosphere during the run up to kick off outside the ground I remember being 'nastier'

thats how i remember it - i remember walking down the canal to meet my friends and about 10 typical middle aged , fat bellied oafs trying to surround me - calling me Paddy blah blah - fat middle aged bullies - somehow I don't think they would have behaved so in Poland or Russia - in fairness relations with England were not like now , the IRA ceasefire had just begun , I think they were expecting an Irish/Celtic firm to take them on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Strongbow10

remember going to this game and being in the schoolboy section up behind the goal to the right of where the trouble kicked off in the stand.

the 10 year old in me was disappointed no Liverpool players were involved due to the league cup semi final against Palace, but it certainly all did kick off after David Kelly scored.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭major bill

Remember watching it on the telly thinking my god the garda are animals was only about 8 at the time :pac:

Biggest mob that day the Garda, the English that caused trouble won't forget them anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭BMJD

I remember watching it in one of my friend's house in Coolock, we headed outside to see if there was any craic happening, the Gardai had to stop buses going into town because all the heads were trying to get into town to join in the fun and games. I remember seeing a gang of 40 or 50 lads attempting to walk from the Blacker towards town, they got tired after a few minutes and went back inside. Good times.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭bullvine

I don't remember it but apparently in 1991 when we played them, there was a full on battle on O'Connell street, always sounded like it was something like the battle of helms deep.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

BMJD wrote: »
    I remember watching it in one of my friend's house in Coolock, we headed outside to see if there was any craic happening, the Gardai had to stop buses going into town because all the heads were trying to get into town to join in the fun and games. I remember seeing a gang of 40 or 50 lads attempting to walk from the Blacker towards town, they got tired after a few minutes and went back inside. Good times.

How vile. Reeks of poverty and thuggery

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

ricero wrote: »
    How vile. Reeks of poverty and thuggery

iDave wrote: »

I wouldn't see Lansdowne as part of the same stuff as happened in the 70s and 80s, when pitched battles were serious and deadly. By the 90s things had changed, when this match came around we were a few years into the glitz and glamour of the sky era, and stadiums were being rebuilt, football was becoming a family oriented event. That's partially why this came as such a surprise, but clearly it was the last sting of a dying wasp. By 2000 plastic chairs being thrown around Charleroi was seen as outrageous.

• Advertisement
Advertisement