Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What is be cheapest and easiest to install border between lawn and gravel path?

• 15-02-2015 7:19pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 581 ✭✭✭

I've seen the plastic garden edging online, is this the solution?

Really I only want the material to stick half and inch above the gravel to prevent the grass from growing over the gravel and prevent the gravel from mixing with the soil.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

Unless this is low traffic path, you can expect plenty of nuisance work to keep gravel from grass and vica versa. To minimise migration, you will need to install a raised edge (minimum 50mm above gravel level but kerbing is even better 100mm - 150mm).

A raised edge will also introduce another requirement, ie strimming of grass edge which few enjoy and is rarely done neatly.

An alternative division would be to install a 300mm paved border, which can be set flush to provide a mowing strip as well as a buffer between the two surfaces.

The raised edge is the best solution, and choose carefully as for a few bob more you can install a durable long term solution, and plastic edging is not!

I hope you manage to hold onto your hair ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭lazybones32

I used some of that green plastic as edging and it isn't suitable as a border. It breaks very, very easily: tipping your shoe off it at normal walking-speed can crack it.

You can buy metal edging that is more expensive but is better quality, more durable and as easy to position.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 156 ✭✭keltoms05

n1st wrote: »

I've seen the plastic garden edging online, is this the solution?

Really I only want the material to stick half and inch above the gravel to prevent the grass from growing over the gravel and prevent the gravel from mixing with the soil.

The metal edging would be the best thing to use. As already mentioned above, the plastic is cheaper but will break very easily. The edging is really easy to install, think it was about 65 euro for 3 x 6 feet lengths.

Here's a pic of a garden I done with that edging a few months ago.

keltoms05 wrote: »
    The metal edging would be the best thing to use. As already mentioned above, the plastic is cheaper but will break very easily. The edging is really easy to install, think it was about 65 euro for 3 x 6 feet lengths.

I would be very concerned about the potential risk of serious injury that this type of edging could cause. I would consider this type of edging protruding from the ground the best for causing a likely injury.

Usually metal edging is installed just below grass level ? Protruding above as a raised edge is surely lethal in a garden especially one with young children etc ?

I would be very concerned about the potential risk of serious injury that this type of edging could cause. I would consider this type of edging protruding from the ground the best for causing a likely injury.

Usually metal edging is installed just below grass level ? Protruding above as a raised edge is surely lethal in a garden especially one with young children etc ?

This type of edging is actually rounded on top so if somebody did fall on it they wouldn't cut themselves so not exactly 'lethal'. If you take for example the new railway sleepers, imagine a child falling and hitting their head off that?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭?Cee?view

I was all for getting it until I thought of exactly this issue. I'm not sure I'd want my little ones learning to ride a bike near it. I've an image of them hitting their head of it which is frankly disturbing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭cerastes

I thought as I was reading what someone posted in reply about that metal edging, the pressure at the metal edging would be greater than some one falling on a sleeper, except maybe the corner, even then I'd consider it less danger and maybe if the edge was slightly bevelled even less so.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,291 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

If you take for example the new railway sleepers, imagine a child falling and hitting their head off that?
    all other things being equal, i'd prefer tak my chances with the sleeper than with the metal edging - with the sleeper, you've a good chance of hitting your head off the flat side, rather than the edge; you don't have any flat side to hit your head on with the metal edging.

all other things being equal, i'd prefer tak my chances with the sleeper than with the metal edging - with the sleeper, you've a good chance of hitting your head off the flat side, rather than the edge; you don't have any flat side to hit your head on with the metal edging.

The edging is only 3mm wide!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,291 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

QED.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭cerastes

The edging is only 3mm wide!

Thats the proof as stated by yourself and concluded by the right honourable M, Bastarder.

Being 3mm wide means if anyone ( a child is suggested) were to fall flat on their face on that, the persons weight would all be exerted on that 3mm resulting in a more serious injury than if they fell on say something much wider, even of the same material.

Maybe they have their uses elsewhere, but sticking out even a little bit where a child is, is either a trip hazard and/or a face meets protruding object injury waiting to happen, might suit elsewhere and maybe people like them, Id be wary of them myself unless they were completely embedded and then they seem to not serve a purpose.
    I admit I didnt know such metal parts existed before this thread,

all the same, nice tidy jobs done otherwise in the pictures, not a criticism about them or the parts, just observations I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 581 ✭✭✭n1st

Very tidy.

I presume for a lawn, the grass would be above the edging for the lawnmowers sake.

This type of edging is actually rounded on top so if somebody did fall on it they wouldn't cut themselves so not exactly 'lethal'. If you take for example the new railway sleepers, imagine a child falling and hitting their head off that?

Next you are in that garden just try kneeling on the edge, I wonder how long you could absorb the pain? Then close your eyes and imagine a child falling on the back of a knife?

Quite ridiculous and incredibly dangerous hazard for most gardens.

As I previously stated, any metal edging I've seen was always, always fitted below sod level and the reasons are patently obvious. Judging by the comments of others, common sense would hopefully prevail.

Advertisement