Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question about Irish Kennel Club papers

• 15-02-2015 8:09pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭

I was just lurking around online and came across an Irish ad for puppies (as you do :rolleyes: ) which mentioned that if you pay extra you will get a cert with the bloodlines on it.

My question is if you have the info for your dog/puppy, can you acquire this information yourself with or without the breeders knowledge through the IKC?

Also isn't it generally dodgy for a breeder to charge extra for IKC papers of any sort?

[Dog Training + Behaviour Nerd]

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

No reputable breeder charges extra for KC papers.

You cannot register the dog with the IKC/KC yourself. The breeder has to do it.

And if the ad was on Done Deal? I'd be VERY wary...

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭ACD

AFAIK There are actually 2 papers you can get from IKC- registration certificate and pedigree certificate. On the registration cert are only parents, so if you wish to know the blood lines you have to get the pedigree cert. The registration has to be done by breeder, but the pedigree cert can be obtained by either the breeder or the new owner (after change of ownership).

But I agree, no reputable breeder would charge extra for pedigree.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭VonVix

That's what I thought. But what I'm saying is if they were legitimately registered but you did not get a copy from the breeder (say you didn't pay the extra fee) can you go on to the IKC with the information you have (kennel name for example) and get a copy off them for yourself? Hypothetical situation here of course, I just want to know what is or isn't possible.

[Dog Training + Behaviour Nerd]

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭ACD

You mean like that the breeder has registered the pup, has the registration certificate, but refuses to give it to you unless you pay extra? If that was the case, he'd probably stay as a registered owner and you'd have no rights to the dog where IKC is concerned? But I'm guessing here, I might be wrong...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

VonVix wrote: »
    That's what I thought. But what I'm saying is if they were legitimately registered but you did not get a copy from the breeder (say you didn't pay the extra fee) can you go on to the IKC with the information you have (kennel name for example) and get a copy off them for yourself? Hypothetical situation here of course, I just want to know what is or isn't possible.

No. Unless you are the registered owner and have details of their ikc registration then you won't be able to get the info. It only costs 15 euro to register each pup with the Ikc when you register a litter so it's not expensive at all. This breeder sounds dodgy yo be honest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,250 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

VonVix wrote: »

Once the breeder signs the registration form, you can register the pup yourself.

It will be registered in the breeders name initially though and the papers sent to them but they can sign same and return to you. The change of ownership is €20 iirc.

Tbh, I think people here are jumping to conclusions. It doesn't sound like the breeder is charging extra for the actual IKC papers for the pup itself.

It sounds like he is saying he can order new owners a four or five generation pedigree cert if they wish to get it. I fail to see the issue with that, it does cost the breeder €20 to get same after all.

You can get this yourself after the pup is in your name I would point out.

You'll find breeding is a touchy subject on this forum. People would call a person offering a charge for optional extra paperwork like this "dodgy" but nobody bats an eyelid about people charging €600 and the like for pups and clearly making profits.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Lemlin wrote: »
    You'll find breeding is a touchy subject on this forum. People would call a person offering a charge for optional extra paperwork like this "dodgy" but nobody bats an eyelid about people charging €600 and the like for pups and clearly making profits.

Okay folks,
    Whilst lemlin is entitled to his opinion on this matter, I do not want yet another thread going down this road, it has happened too many times before and has caused multiple thread closures. In any case, it's not what this thread is about.
    So, let's leave the dodgy vs not dodgy argument right here, and gt back on topic.
    Thanks,
    DBB

Advertisement