Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cost of a quick snack!!

Options
  • 15-02-2015 9:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭

Just wondering is this expensive A toasted Sandwich ie 2 slices Bread, with ham cheese & tomato & a few Pringles on the side & a pot of Tea. In a very rural pub? 4.50e for the sandwich & 2.00e for the tea.TOTAL 6.50e

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Sounds normal enough to me, though I would usually never buy such things as I consider them expensive for what they are. I see tesco own brand sandwiches are 2.85. When they are toasted they have to charge a higher VAT rate.

Pringles are €2+ for those tiny tubs in most pubs.

On google the first hit I got for toasted ham & cheese in ireland was €7.50 in some cafe in dublin. another in cork was €5.25

• Registered Users Posts: 69,018 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Is the price normal? Definitely

Is the price logical for the costs involved? Not really, but a rural pub is unlikely to sell many a day leading to inevitable loss on ingredients. You're paying for the fact the service exists. In my old job there were days that I couldn't possibly be more thankful that some random pub in the wilds of Galway or the hills in Carlow had a sandwich toaster as it was it or a bag of crisps and a can of coke in the van for lunch.

It'll easily still be dearer in city pubs, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭huskerdu

That is expensive but you are paying, not only for the ingredients but for
    all the other costs of running a pub / cafe

the wages of the person who made it, served it, took the plates away afterwards, and cleaned the plates.
    Heating and cleaning
    Insurance

And of course, VAT

I doubt if the owner of the rural pub is making a massive profit.

Advertisement