Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

buying Microsoft office

Options
  • 15-02-2015 9:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,582 ✭✭✭

Hi I've started a computer course, and we,re using Microsoft word and Microsoft access. Does anybody know where to buy this . I've seen a few adds on adverts and eBay but not sure what one I need ( there seems to be a few different versions) any advice would be appreciated. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3 nellacaasi

Hey avfc,

If I recall correctly, to get access in your office installation you'll need the Office 'Professional' version

• Registered Users Posts: 3,582 ✭✭✭avfc1874

Thanks I might take a chance on buying one from adverts thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

I hope you've considered the free option of Openoffice/Libreoffice.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,426 ✭✭✭ressem

Office Professional costs something like 500 quid.

There's the Office365 subscription options, if you have a credit card.
    http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/mseea/en_IE/pdp/Office-365-Personal/productID.298282200

€7 per month, or 12 months for €70.

Libreoffice Base wouldn't be suitable for following a training course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

MS sell Office for students at much cheaper rates than standard retail price

http://www.software4students.ie/t/category/microsoft-office

I'd be fairly dubious about the legitimacy of eBay sources for this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,448 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

RainyDay wrote: »

I'd be fairly dubious about the legitimacy of eBay sources for this.

+1 Or adverts, or donedeal. Most likely you'll get a pirated copy on CD with a poor colour photocopy of the official MS label.

coylemj wrote: »
    +1 Or adverts, or donedeal. Most likely you'll get a pirated copy on CD with a poor colour photocopy of the official MS label.

Microsoft office starter is a free ad funded version. I use it and it will have all the functions you need for a computer course. The ads aren't even annoying. After you become confident with it you can either buy it or continue using the starter or use one of the open or libre office as mentioned.

http://mobile.pcadvisor.co.uk/downloads/3250058/microsoft-office-starter-2010/

An article with more info that I got on Google

• Registered Users Posts: 2,426 ✭✭✭ressem

For his stated training purposes though, Office starter only has Word and Excel with many menus removed.
    Doesn't have Access, Microsoft have been restricting the availability of Access to 'premium' bundles or buying standalone so most people don't have it on their computers anymore.

Advertisement