Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LACEY CUP

Options
  • 15-02-2015 9:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭

thinking of entering this but am i mad ? i have never raced and i am pretty new to cycling approx 1 year. have lost a load of weight at cycling and have gotten lot stronger on bike but i do not want to be embarrassingly spewed out the back after a few k. i can average up to 30 kph on my own,but i hear that during this race averages could be 37 ish pretty sure this is beyond me. i am 51 pretty new to cycling and a novice so i suppose my question is would this be a bridge too far for me , has any one any idea how long it takes A4 racers to complete this race or any other knowledge or advice ? thanks..

sorry for this longwinded post but i am very nervous about entering

Comments

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,418 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Are you a member of a club? Is there a club league option for you? That's what I would recommend to start off racing (it's the way I started racing aged 49)

Personally I would not throw myself straight into A4 (although I appreciate club racing is not an option for many, the IVCA is an option for over 40s)

In your position I would suggest trying to build up experience with a club and make sure you am comfortable riding in fast groups before attempting racing

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭ciaeim

Beasty wrote: »
    Are you a member of a club? Is there a club league option for you? That's what I would recommend to start off racing (it's the way I started racing aged 49)

Personally I would not throw myself straight into A4 (although I appreciate club racing is not an option for many, the IVCA is an option for over 40s)

In your position I would suggest trying to build up experience with a club and make sure you am comfortable riding in fast groups before attempting racing

i am in a club,but they dont have a club league. i have been cycling with the racers in the club over the winter hold my own to a degree, theirs usually 10 to 15 of us and i sit in for the most part and do a few stints in front. i would love to give it a go but not sure i am ready. have you any idea how fast A4s go in the lacy cup or do you know of somewhere i could find out , thanks for replying

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,418 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

One option for a first race is to try a Masters race

These are well established in Ulster, where they are run for A4s aged over 50. These races are typically safer than A4s as the fields are generally smaller (usually combined with ladies, but you are probably talking up to 50 in a race). In additiion the racers are generally much more experienced and will not take unnecessary risks (not that these races are risk free as I can definitely attest to!)

There are also a couple of races taking advantage of the new CI Masters cats of M40, M50 and M60. These were mentioned here

Following an accident I had last year (which was in an Ulster Masters race) I have no intention of racing A4 again as I do feel these races are particularly risky due to large fields and particularly inexperience with a early season influx of riders new to racing

One option for a first race is to try a Masters race

These are well established in Ulster, where they are run for A4s aged over 50. These races are typically safer than A4s as the fields are generally smaller (usually combined with ladies, but you are probably talking up to 50 in a race). In additiion the racers are generally much more experienced and will not take unnecessary risks (not that these races are risk free as I can definitely attest to!)

There are also a couple of races taking advantage of the new CI Masters cats of M40, M50 and M60. These were mentioned here

Following an accident I had last year (which was in an Ulster Masters race) I have no intention of racing A4 again as I do feel these races are particularly risky due to large fields and particularly inexperience with a early season influx of riders new to racing

Thanks again but as I live in South Kerry I think I would chance lacy cup as its a lot closer to home 😄still unsure tho as bad and all as it would be to get dropped early I definately don't want to be in accident (I know no one wants to be )

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭StevieGriff

Beasty, was your crash directly caused by big A4 field/inexperienced riders?
    Always seems to get said by Boardsies but I have a feeling that might be due to the majority of Boardsies being Leinster based...ie bigger attendance? Maybe..?

Other thing that has me wary of A4 racing is knowing that chaps like yourself have raced it, and judging by your Sweaty Plastercast thread and other posts I know full well you'd be WAY ahead of the level I'm at personally. A mixture of lack of time during this time of year and asthma making winter difficult has me far off where I wanted to be. 50/50 about opening the season up with the Lacey cup.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭royrogers

ciaeim wrote: »
    i am in a club,but they dont have a club league. i have been cycling with the racers in the club over the winter hold my own to a degree, theirs usually 10 to 15 of us and i sit in for the most part and do a few stints in front. i would love to give it a go but not sure i am ready. have you any idea how fast A4s go in the lacy cup or do you know of somewhere i could find out , thanks for replying

You could check out Strava for distance/average speed etc.

Beasty, was your crash directly caused by big A4 field/inexperienced riders?
    Always seems to get said by Boardsies but I have a feeling that might be due to the majority of Boardsies being Leinster based...ie bigger attendance?
    It was an Ulster Masters race - I entered on the basis it should have been "safer" given it was 50+ A4s plus ladies. There was a field of 40-50. I have no recollection of what happened but from what I've gleaned from a number of sources there may have been one or two novice ladies who were getting tired as we entered the final few km. We had a tailwind and it was flat meaning we were going at 50 km/h. It had also started raining. The suggestion is that someone veered a liitlle to the right either as a result of or causing a touching of wheels. Maybe 8-10 came down and I suspect I was towards the back of those caught up, with no-where to go other than over the bars

My comments about A4 were because I've seen very risky manoeuvers in pretty much every A4 race I have done. When I see them all over the road, passing oncoming traffic on the right hand side and often oblivious to the rules of the road (with many resultant crashes) given the scale of my own accident it's a risk I suspect I will be no longer prepared to take

It was an Ulster Masters race - I entered on the basis it should have been "safer" given it was 50+ A4s plus ladies. There was a field of 40-50. I have no recollection of what happened but from what I've gleaned from a number of sources there may have been one or two novice ladies who were getting tired as we entered the final few km. We had a tailwind and it was flat meaning we were going at 50 km/h. It had also started raining. The suggestion is that someone veered a liitlle to the right either as a result of or causing a touching of wheels. Maybe 8-10 came down and I suspect I was towards the back of those caught up, with no-where to go other than over the bars

My comments about A4 were because I've seen very risky manoeuvers in pretty much every A4 race I have done. When I see them all over the road, passing oncoming traffic on the right hand side and often oblivious to the rules of the road (with many resultant crashes) given the scale of my own accident it's a risk I suspect I will be no longer prepared to take

Nasty spill by the sounds of things. The whole passing on the wrong side sounds more like mad max than a bike race. The real catch 22 I suppose is you have to race A4 to get out of it. Decisions decisions...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

thinking of entering this but am i mad ? i have never raced and i am pretty new to cycling approx 1 year. have lost a load of weight at cycling and have gotten lot stronger on bike but i do not want to be embarrassingly spewed out the back after a few k. i can average up to 30 kph on my own,but i hear that during this race averages could be 37 ish pretty sure this is beyond me. i am 51 pretty new to cycling and a novice so i suppose my question is would this be a bridge too far for me , has any one any idea how long it takes A4 racers to complete this race or any other knowledge or advice ? thanks..

sorry for this longwinded post but i am very nervous about entering

If you are training with your clubs racing crew and are able then the only way that you will know that A4 suits you is tondo the race.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Amprodude

Have a go at it Op. You will enjoy it and don't be hard on yourself if things don't go to plan. We all had to start somewhere. Best of luck.

• Advertisement

Nasty spill by the sounds of things. The whole passing on the wrong side sounds more like mad max than a bike race. The real catch 22 I suppose is you have to race A4 to get out of it. Decisions decisions...
    I do suspect the Leinster fields are much larger than elsewhere. In Ulster they are limited to 80 or less through agreement with the police.

One of the problems is everyone wants to move up from the back and in such large fields crossing the white line is often the only way to progress on the flatter circuits. The last A4 race I did involved so much reckless riding I dropped off the back with a few km to go. A couple of minutes later I turned a bend to witness carnage as a result of someone on the wrong side of the road colliding with an oncoming car

• Registered Users Posts: 4,159 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

A4 at the Leacy cup is fine. Its not a huge field, the roads are quite wide and of good quality. Its not particularly dangerous. I find it one of the safer ones. The first climb is about 13k in and that splits it up a bit, although you will definitely still be part of a group on the road.. and then hang in to the coast run by inch beach where it usually stays together until the last climb with a few k to go...

Do it. Worst case scenario you get popped early. No big deal. Nothing to lose. Forget average speeds. It will heat up a bit on the climb at the business end of things and it can sometimes go off a bit hot, but otherwise you are spending half your time trying not to roll into the guy in front of you because you are coasting.

Give it a go. You'll be surprised.

Although... Leinster A4 races... SOME of those I would avoid like the plague if I were still an A4.

• Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭zurbfoundation

LACY CUP

Quigs Snr wrote: »
    Leacy cup

Sorry to be pedantic - its the Lacey Cup.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭couerdelion

The only way you will know is to try it. If you get chucked out the back after a few km so what?

Also against all the advice you'll get I'd sit in at the back and just watch and learn for your first few races. You might miss a split in the pack and you won't be in the mix at the end but you will learn. I did this a couple of years ago in my first season and learnt a lot watching and staying away from the sprints for 20th place.

At 51 I'd guess you aren't expecting to move up to A1 anytime soon so just enjoy the racing for what it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭thebouldwhacker

Do it. If you are slow it means I'll have company. if you are afraid of crashing stay out of the bunch.

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭Hi Ho

Do it. If you are slow it means I'll have company. if you are afraid of crashing stay out of the bunch.

If you are afraid of crashing stay out of bike racing.

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭Hi Ho

Hi Ho wrote: »

Well, I suppose I should re-phrase that. Almost everybody is afraid of crashing. But stay out of bike racing if you are not prepared to accept it as a consequence.

Give the race a go - the worst that can happen (apart from crashing) is that you'll get dropped.

You should probably also stay out of it if you're not prepared for that as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Amprodude

Anyone have the route for this race?

Amprodude wrote: »
    Anyone have the route for this race?
    Here ya go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 512 ✭✭✭inc21

This was my first race last year. Got blown out the back on the last climb but had great time all the same. 1 small touch of wheels on 1st climb and some lads went down. Idiots making dangerous moves is easy enough to spot, then just try to stay in front of them. Leacy cup is great starter it has climb quite soon. That will break up the bunch and make it way less dangerous, just be at the front when it comes. If you get caught behind, there is no way coming back.

• Advertisement

inc21 wrote: »
    This was my first race last year. Got blown out the back on the last climb but had great time all the same. 1 small touch of wheels on 1st climb and some lads went down. Idiots making dangerous moves is easy enough to spot, then just try to stay in front of them. Leacy cup is great starter it has climb quite soon. That will break up the bunch and make it way less dangerous, just be at the front when it comes. If you get caught behind, there is no way coming back.

Amy harm in asking how long it took or a Strava link on your ride?

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭barleyman

here you go, a4 stats

as has been said nice safe race, with a b1tch of a run in to the finish!

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/450157215

barleyman wrote: »
    here you go, a4 stats

as has been said nice safe race, with a b1tch of a run in to the finish!

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/450157215

Hope you won 😄

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭tailendcharlie

Just give it a go, i got blown out the back of 15 A4 races last year and by the end of the season i got the upgrade to A3. If your afraid of making a fool of yourself you'll never accomplish anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭Koobcam

Hi Ho wrote: »

Actually, if you are afraid of crashing, probably the best strategy is to get fit enough that you can ride near the front and be able to go like the clappers. I usually feel safer when the speed goes up and people are lined out rather than bunched up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 512 ✭✭✭inc21

• Registered Users Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭okane1

inc21 wrote: »

Was that from the A4 race?

Just give it a go, i got blown out the back of 15 A4 races last year and by the end of the season i got the upgrade to A3. If your afraid of making a fool of yourself you'll never accomplish anything.

Yea i agree with you thanks just what I needed was a little kick up the jacksy! I AM entering and to hell with it if i go out the back sure it's a lovely part of the world for a Sunday cycle :) thanks for all yere input !!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭Taxuser1

when did the A1s reach the head of the race last year ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭bwalsh1983

Taxuser1 wrote: »
    when did the A1s reach the head of the race last year ?

They didn't save for Damien Shaw.

Advertisement