Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LACEY CUP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭Taxuser1

bwalsh1983 wrote: »
    They didn't save for Damien Shaw.

really! what was the handicap given ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 512 ✭✭✭inc21

okane1 wrote: »
    Was that from the A4 race?

yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Amprodude

A4 is separate this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

I'm not sure if you're on facebook op but Naas cycling club posted a good video of the A3 race on their page.

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=10203773541487395

It gives a good idea of what to watch it seems the surges are what catch people out and the stronger lads seem to break just before a bit of a ramp.

Plenty of tight spots and cycling toward cars I'm not sure what the etiquette is on cycling on the oppsoite side of the road.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,418 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Amprodude wrote: »
    Anyone have the route for this race?
    I've been approached by someone who wants to start a proper "race" thread. As this thread has really been covering other issues and in particular the OP's request for advice on starting racing I am happy for that poster to start a new thread with relevant details in the OP

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭thebouldwhacker

iwillhtfu wrote: »
    I'm not sure if you're on facebook op but Naas cycling club posted a good video of the A3 race on their page.

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=10203773541487395

It gives a good idea of what to watch it seems the surges are what catch people out and the stronger lads seem to break just before a bit of a ramp.

Plenty of tight spots and cycling toward cars I'm not sure what the etiquette is on cycling on the oppsoite side of the road.

Great vid, some shocking club kits though...

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭ciaeim

Anyone else here doing the Lacey cup? If so,be safe and the very best of luck and enjoy it !

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭Hi Ho

ciaeim wrote: »
    Yea i agree with you thanks just what I needed was a little kick up the jacksy! I AM entering and to hell with it if i go out the back sure it's a lovely part of the world for a Sunday cycle :) thanks for all yere input !!
    Well??

Hi Ho wrote: »
    Well??

Enjoyed it thoroughly. Got dropped off main bunch with 8k to go

ciaeim wrote: »
    Enjoyed it thoroughly. Got dropped off main bunch with 8k to go

Well done ...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,425 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

Anprodude, if your reading how did you go? Know from your postings on here that you were targeting this A4 race?

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭StevieGriff

Being my first road race it was a huge eye opener. Learned a lot and know what I need to work on for the rest of the year.
    Made the dumb mistake of thinking I'd be better off switching to an easier tempo up Gleann na Gealt instead of risking blowing up, what resulted was me getting completely dropped from the man pack and getting isolated on my own between the pack and the group behind while hopelessly trying to catch back up with everything I had. Annascaul to Castlemaine solo was a world of hurt. AND I learned that my Max HR is 199 not 186.

P.S, I couldn't for the life of me figure out what caused all the random hard braking followed by a pointless surge?

Anprodude, if your reading how did you go? Know from your postings on here that you were targeting this A4 race?

Disaster got a puncture 30km into race. Felt good but I don't think I would have won all the same. Race pace, you can't beat it for training but I think I won't be getting out of A4 anytime soon. Alot of reckless riding there today from what I saw.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 724 ✭✭✭JK.BMC

Disaster got a puncture 30km into race. Felt good but I don't think I would have won all the same. Race pace, you can't beat it for training but I think I won't be getting out of A4 anytime soon. Alot of reckless riding there today from what I saw.

Maybe I'm psychic...! (check previous thread)

A puncture is unfortunate, happens to everybody, hard luck, but not a disaster in reality. Always next week, and the next.

Maybe after all those months training, you needed new tyres.
    Just a thought.
    Keep at it.

JK.BMC wrote: »
    Maybe I'm psychic...! (check previous thread)

A puncture is unfortunate, happens to everybody, hard luck, but not a disaster in reality. Always next week, and the next.

Maybe after all those months training, you needed new tyres.
    Just a thought.
    Keep at it.

You were right.

...Alot of reckless riding there today from what I saw.

I didn't see anything I'd consider 'reckless', never mind a lot of it (in 30k). And there was a very good Garda on a motorbike policing both the traffic and the bunch very well. I guess different people have different expectations of bike racing.

I must say in my opinion that i thought the race was very safe and that most of the riding was very good. Only time was first 15k lots of stop starting which was a bit dodgy at times.

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭outfox

Annascaul to Castlemaine solo was a world of hurt.

That stretch of road is just soul destroying. It goes on forever. Well done for sticking it out.

Hi Ho wrote: »
    I didn't see anything I'd consider 'reckless', never mind a lot of it (in 30k). And there was a very good Garda on a motorbike policing both the traffic and the bunch very well. I guess different people have different expectations of bike racing.

If you talk to A1s or A2s they will tell you all about how reckless A4 races generally are. Yesterday no different with lads going left and right around the road and not holding their lines.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,425 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

If you talk to A1s or A2s they will tell you all about how reckless A4 races generally are.

Personally think that a lot of A1/2 riders forget that they were once those 'reckless' riders as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭guym

Bunch of pics from the race on Desmond Sportive's FB page, feel free to tag and share. Well done to all who took part! https://www.facebook.com/desmond.sportive

Personally think that a lot of A1/2 riders forget that they were once those 'reckless' riders as well.

I agree and some eventhough were once in that group think A4 races are beneath them. They are but they could have some respect.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,568 ✭✭✭harringtonp

Thought I'd pull this thread up rather than start a new one. Never done the race as it has usually being the same day as Loughrea which is a lot closer. Anyway hope to get down in a couple of weeks and have a couple of questions:

1) What handicap do the A3's usually get on the 1's and 2's ?
    2) When are most of the A3's usually caught by most of the 1's and 2's ?

For 2) I'm not talking about breakaways in the 2 groups, just looking to get an idea of where the bunches usually merge. e.g. on Gleann na nGealt, road into CastleMaine, Slieve Mish

• Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭Taxuser1

Glean na Geallt last year about 2 kms from top.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭okane1

Where does the A4 race split up?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭easygoing39

About 10 metre's past the finish line.

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭TGD

Last year was the first year there was a separate A4 race and it split up badly on the final climb. Some, of course, got dropped on the first climb.

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭markusz

hilly races like Ras Chonamara A4 and the likes always split up.... 70 could start and by the end there might be only 30 left.

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭outfox

After a nice peaceful winter, there's nothing like the first Munster racing thread to make the bowels start trembling again.
    Thanks, harringtonp!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭eoz

What's the finish like after that last climb? Is it all downhill??

Advertisement