Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LACEY CUP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,568 ✭✭✭harringtonp

eoz wrote: »
    What's the finish like after that last climb? Is it all downhill??

It is with one particularly sharp right hander to look out for

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭eoz

It is with one particularly sharp right hander to look out for

How far from top to finish and what is the finish like?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭okane1

Maybe 3km. It is flat for approx 1km before finish line. Straight road, good surface.
    Downhill has 1 sharp right and 1 other medium right turn.

First time to do it and well impressed. One of the nicest circuits I've raced.

Well organized too and having a hotel as base means plenty of parking and no wasted time queueing for those pre race dumps

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭outfox

How'd you do?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

First time to do it and well impressed. One of the nicest circuits I've raced.

Well organized too and having a hotel as base means plenty of parking and no wasted time queueing for those pre race dumps

Best race report ever.

outfox wrote: »
    How'd you do?

Just making up the numbers. Lost contact with the head of the A3 group about half way up Gleann na nGealt. There were plenty of others too who lost contact and finished in a good sized group a few minutes down.

1's/2's seemed to come through in dribs and drabs. A few 2's caught the 3's lower down on Gleann na nGealt, then a few 1's/2's caught us around Annascaul and a few more just before the top of the Slieve Mish climb.

Great weather for it and big turnout from what I could see

Raam wrote: »
    Best race report ever.

Yeah, anybody who has been in a queue with 4 guys in front of them for the one dodgy toilet in a community center or GAA hall will know what I mean

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭outfox

The weather was superb indeed. Wasn't there last year, but remember driving somewhere the same day and the car nearly toppling sideways in the wind.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Amprodude

Tough going yesterday. I stayed with the bunch until last 1.5km - 2km of the sliabh mish climb and then lost contact. I had nothing in my legs and I was in threshold. Disappointed I trained well for this, I was so close to hanging on with the main bunch of about 25 riders. Just goes to show you should never race if your not fit. I have yet to finish the Lacey Cup in the main bunch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭Irish Raven

Amprodude wrote:
    Tough going yesterday. I stayed with the bunch until last 1.5km - 2km of the sliabh mish climb and then lost contact. I had nothing in my legs and I was in threshold. Disappointed I trained well for this, I was so close to hanging on with the main bunch of about 25 riders. Just goes to show you should never race if your not fit. I have yet to finish the Lacey Cup in the main bunch.

I think that's the wrong attitude, you can use races as training sessions if not fully fit, I think what you should say is "don't go into races with too much expectations early in the season, when you haven't do any races prior!!

What better way to test your legs than race!! Getting dropped is part and parcel of racing, look at every level, up to the pro's....they all get dropped

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭StevieGriff

Short little video of the main race finish.
    Forgot to turn back on the camera for the A4 finish though :(

I think that's the wrong attitude, you can use races as training sessions if not fully fit, I think what you should say is "don't go into races with too much expectations early in the season, when you haven't do any races prior!!

What better way to test your legs than race!! Getting dropped is part and parcel of racing, look at every level, up to the pro's....they all get dropped

Yeah but the talented riders never get dropped I have seen in my experience even with no training . I'm not talented but I think 12 hours of good training a week should keep me with the bunch at the end. When you fully trained all winter on good program and then turn up and still get dropped at the end of race is like to the of the world for me. Hopefully I would like to improve going forward but I think I have reached my Peak.

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭pkvader

Is there a full list of results posted up anywhere?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭okane1

Amprodude wrote: »
    Yeah but the talented riders never get dropped I have seen in my experience even with no training . I'm not talented but I think 12 hours of good training a week should keep me with the bunch at the end. When you fully trained all winter on good program and then turn up and still get dropped at the end of race is like to the of the world for me. Hopefully I would like to improve going forward but I think I have reached my Peak.

Did you carry out performance testing before, during and after the winter training block? Did your results improve/have you improved?

Why do you think you have reached your peak - season only starting.
    Cycling is a long term development, no quick fixes here. Don't get hung up on big improvements in a short time. These other "talented riders" who are never dropped - talent is only one part of the equation. You might not know their cycling experience, motivation, training, setup, etc... You can't control that.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,190 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

pkvader wrote: »
    Is there a full list of results posted up anywhere?
    http://www.stickybottle.com/races-results/full-results-all-races-at-lacey-cup-tralee/

Amprodude wrote:

Jeez dude.....you still have the wrong attitude....I've prob raced with you in a4 and a3....don't be so hard on yourself, maybe the 12 hour training weeks (that suit some), don't suit you, maybe you need to do less to achieve more, your lifestyle, work, coupled with training, maybe send you into races fatigued. That may be your problem.

From your comments, and previous comments on other threads, you have yourself under alot of pressure, which also is not the way to race; let alone get enjoyment from racing. It was the first race of the season, every year, every level that is one of the few races that splits everywhere. It's a tough race, long drags, very fast descents.

Go watch conor mcgregor....

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭pedro_colnago

First race of the year, you got shelled, get on with it. There will be plenty more races. You might have had a bad day it happens. Lots of factors, maybe u overtrained maybe u didn't get enough rest, maybe your iron levels are down maybe you didn't train properly (quality not quantity) over the winter, not enough high intensity workouts. Maybe it's in your head and you need to HTFU. U had a coach before maybe ask him? Maybe u put to much pressure on yourself and you are mentally drained? Enjoy the racing it's a long season to be moaning and being hard on yourself. Maybe u have reached your peak, only u and people u train with can tell you that, not people on an Internet forum

First race of the year, you got shelled, get on with it. There will be plenty more races. You might have had a bad day it happens. Lots of factors, maybe u overtrained maybe u didn't get enough rest, maybe your iron levels are down maybe you didn't train properly (quality not quantity) over the winter, not enough high intensity workouts. Maybe it's in your head and you need to HTFU. U had a coach before maybe ask him? Maybe u put to much pressure on yourself and you are mentally drained? Enjoy the racing it's a long season to be moaning and being hard on yourself. Maybe u have reached your peak, only u and people u train with can tell you that, not people on an Internet forum

Possibly but it can be hard to take at the moment, it's different if you don't commit to it but I have for last two years. Getting a.bit better all the time but it never shows in the races and I can HTFU fine about it but when you don't perform to the best of your ability and can't figure out why and having team mates pissed off at you too for the same reason then there is a problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭De Bhál

Possibly but it can be hard to take at the moment, it's different if you don't commit to it but I have for last two years. Getting a.bit better all the time but it never shows in the races and I can HTFU fine about it but when you don't perform to the best of your ability and can't figure out why and having team mates pissed off at you too for the same reason then there is a problem.

Why are your team mates pissed off with you?

• Advertisement

Dude it's amateur bike racing. U over think it. U got upgraded from a4 to a3, fair play but it ain't rocket science, focus ur training better, coming on a cycling forum and wingeing about how you are getting dropped isn't going to help ur cause on the bike.
    Your team mates? What do they care how you do? Yet again u seem to be putting yourself under too much pressure. It's a February race so how on earth do u know how you're going?

Amprodude wrote:

Jeez dude....people are trying to give you a small bit of support, some advice....you seem to know everything already.

Maybe the problem is your attitude, you say you've done all the training, maybe so it's the attitude. Listen to other people, and bike races ain't won by training on your own and hitting numbers. If that was the case we would all be pro's!! It's a sport, you go out, perform and go home. Doing it for enjoyment, which you seem to have gone past. Maybe a break of a couple of months is needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,425 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

Repeating the same thing over and over and expecting different results is lunacy. Reflect and evaluate on your training. Are you going too easy/hard, too much low/high intensity? You seem to put quite a lot of stress on yourself, this saps very valuable energy and doesn't allow you to actually recovery sufficiently between training.

Also one final point, I remember these type of posts from you last year and you essentially ignoring the advice back then. You really need to get the enjoyment back or else you are pi$$ing against the wind and will not progress. As someone else suggested, if you're not enjoying it you need to take a break as you are fatigued.

De Bhál wrote: »
    Why are your team mates pissed off with you?

I think because

1. I don't perform to my potential.
    2. I mess up tactics.

I just hate that part of it. I love the buzz of racing etc but like you all said here, I overthink it which is a fair point.

Jeez dude....people are trying to give you a small bit of support, some advice....you seem to know everything already.

Maybe the problem is your attitude, you say you've done all the training, maybe so it's the attitude. Listen to other people, and bike races ain't won by training on your own and hitting numbers. If that was the case we would all be pro's!! It's a sport, you go out, perform and go home. Doing it for enjoyment, which you seem to have gone past. Maybe a break of a couple of months is needed.

Appreciate the advice everyone is giving, I'm no expert I'm new to bike racing and have loads to learn, my attitude towards racing is I would like to fulfill my potential and goals and improve my performance time and time again but sometimes when things go horribly wrong in a race that I would expect to do ok, and I can't figure out why then I get frustrated at myself and I try to go figure why this happened etc. Hope I can restore my enjoyment of the sport again and like you said race for the enjoyment of it.

I think because

1. I don't perform to my potential.
    2. I mess up tactics.

I just hate that part of it. I love the buzz of racing etc but like you all said here, I overthink it which is a fair point.

With the greatest of respect to you, team mates or team tactics don't count for a hell of a lot at the level of racing your at. they are only interested in their own race.
    I don't see how u can say u love the buzz of racing and you moan when u get shelled. That's all part of it. Enjoy it for what it is.

With the greatest of respect to you, team mates or team tactics don't count for a hell of a lot at the level of racing your at. they are only interested in their own race.
    I don't see how u can say u love the buzz of racing and you moan when u get shelled. That's all part of it. Enjoy it for what it is.

I try my best to look at it from your point of view. Your right sure my life doesn't depend on it, I should just enjoy it for what it is.

I try my best to look at it from your point of view. Your right sure my life doesn't depend on it, I should just enjoy it for what it is.

Exactly, do it for yourself and ur own enjoyment, don't be thinking you have something to prove to other people in the same club as you, they don't give a continental. everyone gets shelled and when they do nobody else cares, if there's 80 in a race theres inevitably 79 hard luck stories afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 966 ✭✭✭equivariant

Are there a lot of team tactics at A3 level? Genuine question - I'm only A4

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭markusz

Are there a lot of team tactics at A3 level? Genuine question - I'm only A4

Not really at our level. if a club has strong/many people in a race they'll do some work, get one of their lads away in a break and then sit in. it only becomes more relevant in stage races with A1 and a2's but you need a good team for it.

Advertisement