Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LACEY CUP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭ragazzo

markusz wrote: »
    Not really at our level. if a club has strong/many people in a race they'll do some work, get one of their lads away in a break and then sit in. it only becomes more relevant in stage races with A1 and a2's but you need a good team for it.

Teamwork by accident at A3/4 level. Sometimes organised by experienced and wily vets but generally not prevalent.
    Usually reserved for defence of jersey in a stage race.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭manwithaplan

We are all occasionally guilty of putting ourselves under too much pressure to perform in a race or losing a little perspective. So, the first thing is not to get down on yourself for that on top of everything else.

If you are investing a lot of effort in training, of course you will take your racing seriously and will hope to see results. Form can be hard to find and easy to lose. We are all trying to fit our training and racing into our lives and it can't be neatly segmented from all our other demands and priorities. Most of us perform best when we are relaxed, rested and happy - not an easy state to achieve.

So it's worth looking at what makes you stressed, fatigued and anxious. Usually in tackling these things, structure is your friend. Make time for work, study, family, socializing, nutrition, relaxation, training and sleep. But you also need some flexibility - should I do the prescribed training session in exactly the prescribed way despite the fact that I am feeling tired or time crunched?

This isn't a licence to do nothing. Unless I am very tired or just have no time, I like to ride a little to see how I feel before I decide to adjust a session. It's a long season too. IMHO, too many people seem to want to be in peak condition on day one and then neglect training once the season starts. We all get a bit sick of ourselves and of riding the bike now and again - I wouldn't suggest a long rest but give yourself a couple of days off if you feel like it.

When it comes to races themselves, try to learn from the experience. What works one day will fail the next but try to be flexible and think your way through a race. Your initial plan will often go out the window but you always have to think about what would give you the best chance of doing well in the race. You don't have to have a big serious head on you all the time - talk to your fellow racers, have a laugh, be nice to people. Do you ever find yourself flying along in the bunch and think "this is f***ing brilliant"? Racing is a bit childish and it's one of our few opportunities to forget everything, live in the moment and have fun.

More than anything, keep looking forward. You can't do anything about your last race.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭manwithaplan

Oh and by the way - I often get the balance wrong and I'm also riding at a very modest level.

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭pedro_colnago

We are all occasionally guilty of putting ourselves under too much pressure to perform in a race or losing a little perspective. So, the first thing is not to get down on yourself for that on top of everything else.

If you are investing a lot of effort in training, of course you will take your racing seriously and will hope to see results. Form can be hard to find and easy to lose. We are all trying to fit our training and racing into our lives and it can't be neatly segmented from all our other demands and priorities. Most of us perform best when we are relaxed, rested and happy - not an easy state to achieve.

So it's worth looking at what makes you stressed, fatigued and anxious. Usually in tackling these things, structure is your friend. Make time for work, study, family, socializing, nutrition, relaxation, training and sleep. But you also need some flexibility - should I do the prescribed training session in exactly the prescribed way despite the fact that I am feeling tired or time crunched?

This isn't a licence to do nothing. Unless I am very tired or just have no time, I like to ride a little to see how I feel before I decide to adjust a session. It's a long season too. IMHO, too many people seem to want to be in peak condition on day one and then neglect training once the season starts. We all get a bit sick of ourselves and of riding the bike now and again - I wouldn't suggest a long rest but give yourself a couple of days off if you feel like it.

When it comes to races themselves, try to learn from the experience. What works one day will fail the next but try to be flexible and think your way through a race. Your initial plan will often go out the window but you always have to think about what would give you the best chance of doing well in the race. You don't have to have a big serious head on you all the time - talk to your fellow racers, have a laugh, be nice to people. Do you ever find yourself flying along in the bunch and think "this is f***ing brilliant"? Racing is a bit childish and it's one of our few opportunities to forget everything, live in the moment and have fun.

More than anything, keep looking forward. You can't do anything about your last race.

Good post, fair play!
    Il add to it by saying maybe he should do the odd sportive for the simple fun of cycling his bike again. Personally I really enjoy racing but I still love doing the odd sportive too during the season for the fun of cycling my bike without the pressure of racing. Sportives are great as there's no major pressure doing them so I find I appreciate the actual cycling rather than the all or nothing gut bursting races can be and sportives are a good way of getting training miles in too. If someone belts up the road ahead of you, so what, it's not a race. Race some other time when ur mentally ready for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Stoaty

Will this go ahead on Sunday with weather given down ?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,848 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

Probably best contacting the organiser towards the end of the week I'd say, their email is in the handbook and online.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,568 ✭✭✭harringtonp

Is there much on the roads down that way guys ?

Glean na gealt was on the television news as being covered in snow
    Expecting thaw some stage tomor maybe it be enough if it lasted 24 hours

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭boege

Watching this one myself.

Tralee Manor Facebook page posted on 28th Feb that race was going ahead.

However, latest weather showing 'beast from the east' not yet beaten and temperatures for next few days forecast lower than average. I'm in Limerick and it looked like it was all thawing this afternoon but just stepped out now and see a fresh cm of snow covering everything and still coming down.

Glenn na gealt will be about 2C cooler and ascent side will be in the shade so looking doubtful it will be all thawed at this stage. That said it is the only access road to the peninsula as Conor Pass is currently closed so road will be salted/gritted.

Have done Lacey with snow on the mountains all round and roads just about Ok, so these guys might run the decision late.

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭Irish Raven

bit silly and amateur that they haven't called it off. All sporting events in Ireland have been cancelled. Its unfortunate but common sense should prevail. let alone if an accident happens with people on route, or during the race on open roads. There will not be a road race in Munster for a long time. Let alone a savage media bashing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Amprodude

bit silly and amateur that they haven't called it off. All sporting events in Ireland have been cancelled. Its unfortunate but common sense should prevail. let alone if an accident happens with people on route, or during the race on open roads. There will not be a road race in Munster for a long time. Let alone a savage media bashing.

100% agreed. Really poor organising that they cannot call it off ffs. It's not worth the risk for the week that's in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭StevieGriff

We are still all systems go for the time being, a decision will be made tomorrow at around 2PM after we ride the route. At the moment the route is relatively clear and there should be a decent amount of improvement by tomorrow Midday as it should rain for most of tomorrow. The route is being gritted twice a day at the moment.

We have received criticism for not canceling, similar to the sentiments of "Irish Raven" and "Amprodude". But from our point of view, there is no sense in rushing the decision. If we have to announce cancelation Saturday afternoon, so be it.
    Most of our attendees will travel from within Munster. Any riders planning on traveling down the day before will more than likely have already canceled their plans so a delayed decision is a level-headed choice. We will obviously cancel if we feel there will be an adverse risk to rider safety. We are also not forcing anyone to travel or ride.

Organising races is a thankless and tiresome task at the best of times, not to mind when being accused of poor organising and amateur behavior. Thankfully it ain't our first rodeo...

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭ABEasy

We are still all systems go for the time being, a decision will be made tomorrow at around 2PM after we ride the route. At the moment the route is relatively clear and there should be a decent amount of improvement by tomorrow Midday as it should rain for most of tomorrow. The route is being gritted twice a day at the moment.

We have received criticism for not canceling, similar to the sentiments of "Irish Raven" and "Amprodude". But from our point of view, there is no sense in rushing the decision. If we have to announce cancelation Saturday afternoon, so be it.
    Most of our attendees will travel from within Munster. Any riders planning on traveling down the day before will more than likely have already canceled their plans so a delayed decision is a level-headed choice. We will obviously cancel if we feel there will be an adverse risk to rider safety. We are also not forcing anyone to travel or ride.

Organising races is a thankless and tiresome task at the best of times, not to mind when being accused of poor organising and amateur behavior. Thankfully it ain't our first rodeo...

Great response, hope the forecast is good to yea, its a great race and I know a lot of riders really looking forward to opening their account on Sunday!!

No sporting fixture is going ahead this weekend. You would probably be better off following that advice but I'm not organising the race or telling you your business. Just think it be safer for the week that's in it. Rider safety should be the main objective and not the opportunity to gain cash with large volumes of riders. The snow wont be all gone there tomorrow or by 2pm today and that too late to be calling it. Just my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭Taxuser1

I think you're underestimating the lengths cyclists from all over the country will go to for a race after a winter not competing. With no other racing on, and a thaw on, numbers will be up and so preparations to travel down will be made well in advance of your estimated decision making time of 2pm today. Hope it does go ahead as I know how hard it's to run races but more of me wants safety for all those intending of travelling to Kerry. Best decision would be to cancel imo. Plenty long left in season.

Another decent fall of snow in the Tralee and west kerry areas last night! The route is gonna be covered slush and scutter and water flowing of the mountains with thaw! I not available cycle this event anyway so no major concern to me but I don't want see people injured!
    If a decision is made to cancel this afternoon people will lose deposits if they have hotels booked!
    Look at the example of NCW, they made a call early thurs to postpone to end of march! Unfortunately, there is plenty spaces to hold this event over coming weeks and months due to other races being pulled from calendar

• Closed Accounts Posts: 724 ✭✭✭JK.BMC

I'm not in West Kerry so can't comment but up here in 'Liinster' there appears to be a serious thaw on; will take time for it to return to somewhat normal but regardless I would not enter a race anyway- too much grit, salt and general sh1te washing about the place and the season is long and my bike is too nice for that sort of abuse. Looking forward to watching a durty edition of strade bianche instead.
    Now I'm sure the Kerry lads, in the grand tradition of Healy-Rae and Co, have the situation sussed, always a step ahead of the crowd. There must be some reason for holding off the decision this long

• Registered Users Posts: 16 doniek79

I was in Tralee last night and only 5% of the snow had fallen there compared to Broadford hence NCW able to make an earlier call. Organisers are using a common sense approach. They obviously won't run it if anyone is at risk. Sister in Tralee now and said little or no sign of snow. Work colleague in Camp just said rds are fine and the forecast for next 24hrs is good.
    My trusty Norwegian website for weather.
    https://www.yr.no/place/Ireland/Munster/Tralee/hour_by_hour.html

It's going ahead as of now but decision to be made at 9.15 in the morning to see if it will still go ahead or not? Some disaster of a decision. They should have either said it was either going ahead or not. If they had doubts they should have just cancelled it. Really poor decision making in fairness. What about riders that are travelling long distances and then be told it's not on?
    Bizarre.

Amprodude wrote: »
    It's going ahead as of now but decision to be made at 9.15 in the morning to see if it will still go ahead of not? Some disaster of a decision. They should have either said it was either going ahead or not and if they had doubts they should have just cancelled it. Really poor decision making in fairness. What about riders that are travelling distances and then be told it's not on?
    Bizarre.

Money and greed and desperation to have first race of season
    Do they not realise they get more revenue by having it during summer when their very little races on
    I live beside the route in west kerry and if I was organising race this weekend I would not be holding it, there is a reason ALL sporting events have being called off! Look at kerry v dubs, crokes park will be playable but the gaa are thinking about patrons travelling etc
    For what it worth,I travelled bit of route today and it seemed good to me so I believe it go ahead

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭dvntie

If it goes ahead it'll be the smallest field they've ever had.
    Pure daftness

JK.BMC wrote: »
    I'm not in West Kerry so can't comment but up here in 'Liinster' there appears to be a serious thaw on; will take time for it to return to somewhat normal but regardless I would not enter a race anyway- too much grit, salt and general sh1te washing about the place and the season is long and my bike is too nice for that sort of abuse. Looking forward to watching a durty edition of strade bianche instead.
    Now I'm sure the Kerry lads, in the grand tradition of Healy-Rae and Co, have the situation sussed, always a step ahead of the crowd. There must be some reason for holding off the decision this long

As I said, a classic Healy-Rae type decision i.e.
    it's on but it might not be but we don't know but sure we will see and anyway sure won't we be grand in the end and isnt God above in charge of the weather anyway and ye crowd up in Dublin don't understand!

I hope it works out ok in the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭Taxuser1

JK.BMC wrote: »
    As I said, a classic Healy-Rae type decision i.e.
    it's on but it might not be but we don't know but sure we will see and anyway sure won't we be grand in the end and isnt God above in charge of the weather anyway and ye crowd up in Dublin don't understand!

I hope it works out ok in the end.

Thought your earlier post was idiotic with a sweeping generalisation of Kerry (or maybe anyone outside Dublin) folk with the likening to the Healy Raes (who are in South Kerry, Kilgarvan) and so happy to see this post then confirmed my earlier thinking. While I don't agree with the way it's been handled, you maybe should look at how you have addressed this. Surprised to not find you on the Jobstown threads calling everyone in Tallaght scumbags.

Taxuser1 wrote: »
    Thought your earlier post was idiotic with a sweeping generalisation of Kerry (or maybe anyone outside Dublin) folk with the likening to the Healy Raes (who are in South Kerry, Kilgarvan) and so happy to see this post then confirmed my earlier thinking. While I don't agree with the way it's been handled, you maybe should look at how you have addressed this. Surprised to not find you on the Jobstown threads calling everyone in Tallaght scumbags.

Im wishing them well in Tralee. Hope it goes well.
    You need to chillax - too much analysis!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,479 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Should it not be a case that CI step in and say all races etc will not be allowed run this weekend...a) for safety and insurance reasons and b) to stop the hand wrining and confusion.

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭StevieGriff

It's going ahead as of now but decision to be made at 9.15 in the morning to see if it will still go ahead or not? Some disaster of a decision. They should have either said it was either going ahead or not. If they had doubts they should have just cancelled it. Really poor decision making in fairness. What about riders that are travelling long distances and then be told it's not on?
    Bizarre.

It's very simple. We've made it abundantly clear that we may still cancel tomorrow morning. The weather was improving at an exponential rate this evening and the forecast looks as if it will continue to. The route was fit to race on today but that may change if we have freezing tonight.
    The riders who have travelled are now well aware of all this. We have not forced anyone to travel and we aren't forcing anyone to race either.
    We want to give the race the best chance it has as people WANT to race.
    And to those saying it's greed, it's not. We're certain we won't break even.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭Plastik

Weepsie wrote: »
    Should it not be a case that CI step in and say all races etc will not be allowed run this weekend...a) for safety and insurance reasons and b) to stop the hand wrining and confusion.

That is absolutely what should have happened. But this is CI you're talking about.

It's very simple. We've made it abundantly clear that we may still cancel tomorrow morning. The weather was improving at an exponential rate this evening and the forecast looks as if it will continue to. The route was fit to race on today but that may change if we have freezing tonight.
    The riders who have travelled are now well aware of all this. We have not forced anyone to travel and we aren't forcing anyone to race either.
    We want to give the race the best chance it has as people WANT to race.
    And to those saying it's greed, it's not. We're certain we won't break even.

I think the organisers of the race made a bags of it. It should have been either (a) race is going ahead or (b) no race tomorrow. From what I can see the organisers are still having doubts about tomorrow. If they were confident they would not need to check in the morning to see if race can go ahead. It should have been decided well before today if race could go ahead or not. If they were having doubts about race because of the weather then it would be easier to cancel and save people the suspense. Yes people WANT to race but they won't WANT to be told in the morning that race isn't going ahead especially those travelling long distances.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

I think the organisers of the race made a bags of it. It should have been either (a) race is going ahead or (b) no race tomorrow. From what I can see the organisers are still having doubts about tomorrow. If they were confident they would not need to check in the morning to see if race can go ahead. It should have been decided well before today if race could go ahead or not. If they were having doubts about race because of the weather then it would be easier to cancel and save people the suspense. Yes people WANT to race but they won't WANT to be told in the morning that race isn't going ahead especially those travelling long distances.

While I understand some of what you're saying, I don't fully understand why you are getting so annoyed about it. If it is too much of an inconvenience for you to find out at the last minute if the race is going ahead, then you simply don't have to enter the race.

I'm sure there are plenty of local racers who won't have any issue with it. Being in Dublin, it is obviously a case of saying I won't be racing because I am not prepared to travel such a distance at short notice. If it is a similar inconvenience for you, why are you not making your own decision?

As others have said, there are plenty of other races on during the year. I'm sure a lot of preparation went into this from the organising club and naturally they don't want to disappoint people. I don't think this is being done out of any malice.

I can think of numerous competitive events that have had weather decisions impact them and delayed a decision to play to the last minute.

• Advertisement

Weepsie wrote: »

Nail on head here

Advertisement