Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Patent Search

Options
  • 15-02-2015 10:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,398 ✭✭✭

I have two electrical products in mind, both from the same company & both are available to purchase on-line and in high street stores. I'm trying to see if there is a patent on these products and if there is? I'm looking for details of the patents.

There is no patent number or "Made in" on any of the products, packaging, user manuals or any other bumf I can find. The only markings I can see is that they carry the CE mark.

I basically have the product & the company they are branded as and the company behind the company that the products are sold under.

How can one go about finding the following information?

1. The patent number of the product, if one exists

2. The patent details of the product.

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 997 ✭✭✭pedronomix

If they are now or have been in the public domain, they are not capable of being patented. They may well not contain a sufficient level of novelty to ever even have been eligible. Why do you want to know the details?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,398 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

pedronomix wrote: »
    If they are now or have been in the public domain, they are not capable of being patented. They may well not contain a sufficient level of novelty to ever even have been eligible. Why do you want to know the details?

There may well not be a patent on them but that's what I want to find out. Just because they have nothing on their bumf doesn't mean there is no patent I'd imagine.

I was tying with the idea of approaching the manufacture with a mind to getting some made with a slight difference under another brand name. I don't even know if a trademark could be an issue or if the manufacture is under any sort of NDC with the company marketing them. The manufacture is on the Asian side of the world & they were pretty difficult to track down too.

I'm a little confused as to why there is so little Info as to there origin or status regarding trademark or patent.

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 997 ✭✭✭pedronomix

Try reverse tracking them down thought retail/whole distribution chain. Go to a patent agent and ask them to search the product. try this http://www.patentsoffice.ie/en/patents_searching.aspx and this http://www.uspto.gov/patents-application-process/search-patents

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭portcrap

Patent searches are difficult and laborious affairs having been through it a number of times.

One of the best resources is Espacenet - http://www.epo.org/searching/free/espacenet.html
    This conducts a european search and a limited international search. Ensure that you use a mixture of key words and make sure that search using both the trading name and the registered name.

best of luck!

Advertisement