Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Puppy humping question...

• 15-02-2015 10:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭

my new pup has started humping me lately and only me, he hasn't done it with anything or anybody else in the house, is there some sort of reason behind this?

And also at what age is it best to neuter a male dog hes four months old at the moment, vet said around 5-6months but i was thinking of leaving it a bit later.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭VonVix

Could most likely be excitement, humping is usually excitement or play driven rather than sexual. What breed is the pup?

[Dog Training + Behaviour Nerd]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭willmunny1990

VonVix wrote: »
    Could most likely be excitement, humping is usually excitement or play driven rather than sexual. What breed is the pup?

Collie/terrier mix, he never does it to anything else, none of his teddies or anyone else in the house, although i suppose he is with me the most.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭VonVix

Collie/terrier mix, he never does it to anything else, none of his teddies or anyone else in the house, although i suppose he is with me the most.

Yeah, most likely happy to see you! :p Try to redirect his attention when he does it, ask him to sit and then throw a ball for him or something like that. You don't want to be rewarding the behaviour by giving it attention (negative attention is still attention) Get him doing something else.

Another thing you could do is if he starts humping the moment you enter the room, completely ignore him and leave the room straight away for 10-15 seconds, go back into the room and if he does it again repeat leaving the room until he is calm.

There's no harm in leaving neutering him until a bit later as long as you are confident you can control his environment in such that he doesn't get the urge to roam if he catches the scent of another in heat. I'm sure others could add their views on the subject as it's something that has a really huge range of opinions. I'm personally not against waiting until a year as long as you are aware of the risks involved when it comes to other dogs, etc.

[Dog Training + Behaviour Nerd]

Advertisement