Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Garda Presence in Athlone

• 15-02-2015 10:45pm
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,241 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I've seen a large Garda presence in Athlone today, down around Flynns ahead of a travellers funeral after the Wedding day shooting up the North during the week.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭Steven81

Safest place to be today, saw 3 different ones around half 6, one by Radisson, another at car park entrance to new shooping centre and another around the shack.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 686 ✭✭✭DVD-Lots

The rag that is the irish mirror is reporting that there will be a "bloodbath" in the "village" of Coosan today and that the school is closed blah blah blah fear of god in ye...... Well the school is open but I did receive a text from them stating that I could pick up the kids at 12:30pm as the junior infants are being let go at that time. Might just take them up on the offer as it may be a bit hectic at 3pm in the "village" :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,241 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

Ha, Coosan Village. Would that make Athlone a City by comparison?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

Plenty of overtime for the gardai so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,607 ✭✭✭veryangryman

nice_guy80 wrote: »
    Plenty of overtime for the gardai so.

I think therein lies the problem. Alot of the Gardai are happy to take the overtime. This cyclicly makes the public assume there will be trouble. Bad and all as some of the folk are, i think funerals are nogos for this trouble.

Anyways, easily 10K of taxpayers money wasted yesterday on some gimp's who can't think for themselves' Mortgages.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 180 ✭✭jayobray

Well, you'd think weddings would be nogos for this kind of trouble too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,236 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

I think therein lies the problem. Alot of the Gardai are happy to take the overtime. This cyclicly makes the public assume there will be trouble. Bad and all as some of the folk are, i think funerals are nogos for this trouble.

Anyways, easily 10K of taxpayers money wasted yesterday on some gimp's who can't think for themselves' Mortgages.

What point are you trying to make? Do you think the guards should have stayed away?

What point are you trying to make? Do you think the guards should have stayed away?

I think that a visible presence (about 20% of what was actually used) would have sufficed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,236 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

I think that a visible presence (about 20% of what was actually used) would have sufficed.

But unless you have experience in the area of policing then you are only guessing right, have you experience in this area?

But unless you have experience in the area of policing then you are only guessing right, have you experience in this area?

It doesn't automatically make me wrong that I don't have experience. There was no trouble. That could have been because of or in spite of the heavy presence.

I know the cops are damned if they do/damned if they don't. However, they still are looking out for themselves at the end of the day a la their cash flows. If its in the public interest, that is a happy coincidence.

To me, it felt like they were stirring it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,459 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

If it all kicked off yesterday, people got injured, property got damaged etc - there would be shouts of "why wasn't there more Gardaí, better planning for it, it could be forseen etc etc".

While I do feel aggrieved that tax payers money was spent on the extra Gardai for what is essentially a family event - I would rather this than to have Athlone splashed all over the news for the negative carries on of the like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

Christ some people will bitch about anything. How dare the Guards keep the people safe. If they hadn't shown up in such force and something had happened the same keyboard warriors would be on bleating about "Garda incompetence" and "how did they not see this coming"

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,685 ✭✭✭walshyn93

Without overtime the job of Garda doesn't really pay that well imo. So I don't begrudge them the money there are far less deserving getting far more for far less.

AS someone said above, the same people would be complaining about there being no Gardaí if things kicked off.

People should look at the real culprits here. Those who murder in broad daylight and those who protect, enable and justify their behaviour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

It was funny having the water unit there. What did they think was going to happen?
    A flotilla of boats come down the Shannon full of marauding Travellers?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

Saw a traveller walk out of the ocean fully clothed in Salthill before. He strode up the beach terminator style in full denim and proceeded to kick the ****e out of another traveller. Maybe that's what the water unit is for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

nice_guy80 wrote: »
    It was funny having the water unit there. What did they think was going to happen?
    A flotilla of boats come down the Shannon full of marauding Travellers?

maybe the traveller water flotilla has decamped from Lough Erne and are heading down the Shannon.

More likely though they fear someone getting thrown in the river.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭BrianBoru00

Are you serious?
    http://www.thejournal.ie/equality-tribunal-traveller-family-funeral-home-1733043-Oct2014/

http://talkofthetown.ie/2013/11/20/fight-breaks-out-during-funeral-in-dundalk/

...from a quick google. . .

I stand corrected. I'm not judging the people involved or their ethnic origin (not in writing anyway) but it makes one shake the head slowly that this happens in this day and age).

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

You think the Gardai employed such a presence for the overtime :confused:

I'd imagine the Gardai didn't want to be there at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭h2005

I stand corrected. I'm not judging the people involved or their ethnic origin (not in writing anyway) but it makes one shake the head slowly that this happens in this day and age).

Just judging the Gardai it would seem.

• Advertisement

h2005 wrote: »
    Just judging the Gardai it would seem.

The overuse of resources yes.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,685 ✭✭✭walshyn93

The overuse of resources yes.

Won't somebody please think of the resources.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

CatFromHue wrote: »
    I'd imagine the Gardai didn't want to be there at all.

Indeed, they usually tend to run away from or turn a blind eye to anything involving travelling community members.

Advertisement