Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Novice - lower back issue

Options
  • 15-02-2015 11:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭

Some background - I'm an adventure racer, so my experience on the water is pretty limited. I'm writing here in the hope that someone more experienced might be able to recognise what I'm describing and advise on how to correct it.

I've found the kayak sections of races quite difficult, because I tend to get muscle pain either side of my spine after about one to two minutes of paddling and have to take a brief breather every time. I started doing core exercises late last summer, and while my kayak performance in my last race of the year wasn't good, it was an improvement on the past. I want to eliminate this as an issue for the future, partially because it's frustrating to know I'm going to lose several minutes on the water, but also because most races use two-seater sit-on-top kayaks, so I'm disadvantaging another racer each time. Is there a likely cause that I can correct, or is it simply going to be a case of doing plenty of core work to try and minimise the effect?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,726 ✭✭✭ec18

It could be case of your forward paddling technique that you are putting unneeded stresses on your back causing it to strain. Depending on how much time/money you want to invest you could do a level 2 introduction course which might correct any bad form issues and give you a more efficient paddling style. i think that there is sit on top award now as well.

Other than that I'd recommend just getting some paddling practice in. Core exercises are important but it's hard to beat on the water training.

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭Wobbly_Legs

Without knowing your paddling abilities it is hard to say.

My tips would be to ensure you are pushing paddle blades through the water with the opposite high arm, rather than pulling it through the water with the same arm the blade is on. Also on each stroke use foot pressure.

I would imagine the lumbar pain is due to not having correct paddling technique and also a combination of muscle strength.

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭NathanKingerlee

I have some back issues now when I'm kayaking and I have found that a decent padded backrest helps, even stuff something behind you like a spare buoyancy aid. Also try yoga, especially the downward dog.

Advertisement