Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

An intro to Astronomy

Options
  • 16-02-2015 1:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 30

I'm interested in the topic and was wondering what introductory books would you (yes I'm talking to you) recommend?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭ngcxt6

I'm a big fan of Eyes on the sky, it's a youtube channel and they have a playlist for all beginners stuff to get the basics down such as telescope basics, and observing the sky etc.

It's a great channel. also, if you want to learn some of the night sky and interract with it I recommend stellarium.

Not sure about books to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 fjollybxo

ngcxt6 wrote: »
    I'm a big fan of Eyes on the sky, it's a youtube channel and they have a playlist for all beginners stuff to get the basics down such as telescope basics, and observing the sky etc.

It's a great channel. also, if you want to learn some of the night sky and interract with it I recommend stellarium.

Not sure about books to be honest.

Thanks I'll check them out! I have a telescope but feel that looking aimlessly through it is getting boring and want to know what im looking at haha

• Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭Seanie M

Where are you located, fjollybxo?

• Registered Users Posts: 30 fjollybxo

Donaghmede :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭Seanie M

OK, that' not so bad! Checkout www.irishastrosoc.org for the Irish Astronomical Society. They meet in Ely Place off Stephen's Green in the city centre, and sometimes will host an event in Dunsink Observatory (not tooooo far from you), so that might be of help. You know, you can go along to a meeting and chat to others like you and find out what's good to get and read.

:)

Seanie.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,551 ✭✭✭Rubecula

The Sky at Night: Answers to Questions from Across the Universe

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

Something by Patrick Moore

Advertisement