Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Insulation and extending wiring for sockets

Options
  • 16-02-2015 1:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭

Hi Getting a couple of bedrooms insulated and will need to extend the wiring for existing sockets , to short to wire the socket when insulation installed. what is the correct connector to use for this application ??
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭aido79

The best connector in this case would be a longer piece of wire. Junction boxes/connectors in the attic are a fire hazard. I certainly wouldn't take the risk if it was my house.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 449 ✭✭CJ Haughey

aido79 wrote: »
    Junction boxes/connectors in the attic are a fire hazard.

I have to disagree here with that, its only a connection, no different to having the connection at the db for example. What reason do you have with calling them a fire hazard?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Bigus

Dayo93 wrote: »
    Hi Getting a couple of bedrooms insulated and will need to extend the wiring for existing sockets , to short to wire the socket when insulation installed. what is the correct connector to use for this application ??
    Thanks

Raise/move the sockets to get more slack on the existing wiring ?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

aido79 wrote: »
    The best connector in this case would be a longer piece of wire.

This would be inline with best practice.
    Ideally all joins on a socket circuit are either at the sockets themselves or in the distribution board.

Remember a junction box is a potential point of failure.

2011 wrote: »

A good point but at that same analogy a sockets terminals would be also a potential point of failure would you agree?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

2011 wrote: »
    This would be inline with best practice.
    Ideally all joins on a socket circuit are either at the sockets themselves or in the distribution board.

It is, but I'd agree with above, no more a fire hazard than sockets themselves. No point putting in junction boxes that are not needed, but a properly installed one will be fine.

Makeshift DIY ones, or them horrible ones with the split brass connections are where problems occur. Din rail and connectors is a proper job.

Not needed in this case though.

Bruthal wrote: »
    them horrible ones with the split brass connections are where problems occur.

+1 here ones like these,
    BG_604.jpg

CJ Haughey wrote: »
    +1 here ones like these,
    BG_604.jpg

Yes always thought they are a horror job.

Yes always thought they are a horror job.

Totally agree, they were the only thing available though years ago, their initial introduction was where one can splice into a cable. I inquired years ago to a manufacturer and asked for torgue values for the screws and got no response.

The more wires under the connections, the higher up the brass screw when tight, and the easier it was to wedge the 2 sides of the threads apart, causing the screw to jump threads.

As in less torque would cause failure, the more/bigger wires were under the screw.

• Advertisement

My point is they should issue a torque value to the screw, hager do so they should too.

My point is they should issue a torque value to the screw, hager do so they should too.

Yea but it would vary the higher up the screw is in the split threads. Put 2 1.5 cores in it and it will be possible to tighten more than if 2 or 3 2.5 cores are in it.

It's easier to force the split threads apart, the higher up the screw is when getting tight.

I suppose they could give a setting for 2 1.5 cores in it.

But they are too Mickey mouse to really have accurate reliable settings really.

I suppose they could give a setting for 2 1.5 cores in it.

But they are too Mickey mouse to really have accurate reliable settings really.

They should give a torque value for various cable sizes, number of cables etc, I cannot comprehend they produce products and distribute without this.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Dufftronic

They should give a torque value for various cable sizes, number of cables etc, I cannot comprehend they produce products and distribute without this.

...sure it'll be grand. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭tippgod

So what connectors should the original poster use?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭Cerco

tippgod wrote: »
    So what connectors should the original poster use?

Answer at the end of post#7. And post #5
    Proper junction box or new cable from socket to consumer unit for best results.

Advertisement