Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Creche Closure - 17th February

Options
  • 16-02-2015 10:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭

Anyone else have to contend with their Creche closing tomorrow (17th Feb) because the staff are attending the National rally to protest at their treatment by the government?
    Don't get me wrong...these people do great work.
    They are paid terrible money for the constant upskilling they have to do to maintain their status as childcare professionals.
    My gripe is that we pay for a service in advance at the start of every month.
    When we paid at the start of February, there was no mention of the creche closing on 17th.
    A week later we were emailed informing us that the creche will be closed on the day of the protest.
    So....I've paid for childcare in advance and will now have to fork out to a childminder (or take the day off work myself - which costs even more money) which seems a bit over the top to be honest......

As i said, I appreciate the situation, but I don't think the creche should close for the day.
    Anyone parents got any opinion on this matter, or is this just me being picky?

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I am divided on the issue.
    I think that they need to speak up and the government need to help sort the situation out.
    I also believe that you pay for a service and that service should not be cancelled last minute,I think I would keep minimum staff and speak to the parents.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭racso1975

Anyone else have to contend with their Creche closing tomorrow (17th Feb) because the staff are attending the National rally to protest at their treatment by the government?
    Don't get me wrong...these people do great work.
    They are paid terrible money for the constant upskilling they have to do to maintain their status as childcare professionals.
    My gripe is that we pay for a service in advance at the start of every month.
    When we paid at the start of February, there was no mention of the creche closing on 17th.
    A week later we were emailed informing us that the creche will be closed on the day of the protest.
    So....I've paid for childcare in advance and will now have to fork out to a childminder (or take the day off work myself - which costs even more money) which seems a bit over the top to be honest......

As i said, I appreciate the situation, but I don't think the creche should close for the day.
    Anyone parents got any opinion on this matter, or is this just me being picky?

First I heard of it obviously nobody from my creche is going. Can I ask is your creche a private or community creche?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

It effects all childcare providers and play schools ,but not all are going during school hours, see my sig for info.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

No mention of it from our creche, still business as usual.

And, to be honest, I'd be fairly annoyed if they pulled a stunt like that without reimbursing us or giving a lot of forewarning.

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭birdwatcher

It's a private creche.......and I''m really p!ssed about it to be honest.

As i said before, I understand their plight, but they're looking for recognition of their professionalism - but this is the most amateur unprofessional thing they could do.

Don't think they'd like it if I held a protest outside their door to highlight their short-fallings.

Unfortunately I don't want to go overboard with my disappointment with then, coz it's my little girl who has to go there every day and, well, I just don't want them to take it out on her...not that they would, but, well, you probably see where I'm coming from.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭greengirl31

There was no mention of it at my crèche so it seems to be business as usual thank god !!

While I get that it’s an inconvenience, they have given over a weeks’ notice that they’re going to be closed. Surely that’s enough time to make alternative arrangements. To be honest, I think it’s easier to work around a situation like that than having to ring into work first thing to tell your boss that you’ve to stay at home with a sick child. And I get that not all bosses are understanding or accommodating but sometimes things happen and work can’t come first and that’s just a fact of life.

In relation to paying in advance for a service, again I completely understand that you shouldn’t have to pay for a service that isn’t provided but perhaps you can reduce next months payment by the daily rate ??

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

I wouldn't be happy with that at all. Why are they protesting? A creche is a private business, what have the Gov got to do with it :confused: If they have an issue with wages is that not a matter for their management? I'd be asking for a reduction for that day's cover plus the additional money you are paying for the childminder and that's not even covering your stress and inconvienience!!

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭birdwatcher

It's not just the daily rate I'm annoyed about - I'll be taking that off next months bill anyway.
    It's the fact that I have to pay a childminder now for the day.
    Unfortunately I can't take the day off, and I've no immediate family who can help out either.
    Don't get me wrong.....if I could take the day off I would...family always takes preference over work, but on this occasion, I just cant.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭Staplor

That's mental.

When I signed up to the contract I knew the terms, they close over Christmas, and close on Good Friday.

Other than that they are breaking the contract. I wouldn't be paying them for that.

eviltwin wrote: »
    I wouldn't be happy with that at all. Why are they protesting? A creche is a private business, what have the Gov got to do with it :confused: If they have an issue with wages is that not a matter for their management? I'd be asking for a reduction for that day's cover plus the additional money you are paying for the childminder and that's not even covering your stress and inconvienience!!

ECCE scheme and the affordability of childcare.

http://www.acpireland.com/national-rally.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭racersedge

As a childcare practitioner, I actually disagree with closing a setting on day, especially without the express permission of parents. As Staplor said, there are terms and conditions to a contract and I would imagine they would need special dispensation to break them - even if it is for what seems like a good cause.

A lot of the non-governmental organisations such as the ACP and some of the County Childcare Committee's via Facebook posted up information that was relevant for services taking part in the free ECCE year on how they would need to go about having a closure (because such a thing would involve swapping that day for another because they need to complete a certain number of days for the scheme). But that of course does not cover those in full-day care service like I assume the original poster is. I know our setting is open as per usual. We may send a representative depending on ratios.

Ideally though, most settings should be sending representatives. Why they decided to have it on a weekday is beyond me. When asked, the ACP said it was because nobody would be in the Daíl on a weekend. But sure weren't most of the start-off protests for the water charges on weekends? That didn't stop them.

For a true reflection on letting practitioners, parents and other stakeholders to protest and allow for the maximum effect of numbers - they should have done it on a weekend. Part of me feel tomorrow might just end up been a case of pissing against the wind - and hurting any legitimacy the sector has of improving by disrupting parents who feel out of join like the original poster who has been left in a tough situation as her service thinks they are doing the right thing for the sector.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 776 ✭✭✭seventeen sheep

A friend of mine is a childcare worker who is closely involved with this protest. She assured me a couple of weeks ago that I didn't need to arrange alternative childcare tomorrow - most crèches are sending one or two representatives, there should be no impact on parents. If your creche is closing for the day, there's something wrong there - they are purposely aiming to avoid disruption to the parents and children. This was well planned in advance. I'd probably be asking questions of creche management in this case as to why they need to close tomorrow when most other crèches won't.

I was only wishing that it was on Thursday as my lot are off for midterm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 776 ✭✭✭seventeen sheep

I'll be interested to see how many creches end up closing today. I assume (and hope!) that mine won't be one of them, as we've heard nothing. And as I've mentioned above, it wasn't planned that any would close. In fact, the only one I've heard of that's closing is the one mentioned in the OP - so if I were a parent in that creche, I'd be extremely pissed off being one of very few parents negatively affected by this action!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

I'm OK with it albeit I've only one child part-time in creche now. I'd like to think the people to whom my children are entrusted on a regular basis are happy with their working conditions and it's never really sat right with me re: the disparity between creche fees and the employee pay for what is an important job that requires a lot of responsibility.

In light if that, I'd just suck down the inconvenience although I accept it could be harder for some parents to accommodate this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭RubyGirl

Minus them a day's pay in March's creche fee's and if questioned tell them it's for Feb closure.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,054 ✭✭✭✭neris

anncoates wrote: »
    the disparity between creche fees and the employee pay for what is an important job that requires a lot of responsibility.

disparity is the cost of running a creche. staff costs overall are high and can be nearly 50% or more of monthly income. alot of staff on lower salaries still equals a high wage bill. Other costs include food, light, heat, rates, insurance, equipment such as toys, stationary/arts/crafts, sanitary supplies and cleaning product, vehicles if after school is provided with drop off/collection,

Advertisement