Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spinning for trout

Options
  • 16-02-2015 11:05am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭

2 questions really. Why are most angling clubs against spin and worm fishing? I know sometimes the worm can be swallowed deep down the the throat so im assuming this is why? But spinners? I've caught 100s of trout on a small mepps and never killed a fish. I always release the fish no matter what the size. I'm getting really bored of fishing the small mountain streams I have been for the last 10 years and I'd love to move on to a bigger river. I haven't a clue how to fly fish and probably cant afford all the gear for it. Does anyone know any parts of the Suir or Munster Blackwater that allow spinning for trout? I've no problem buying a permit.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭stylie

They are two Salmon rivers you mentioned so if you want to spin and worm them you better get a Salmon license. A single worm or a size 1 mepps will catch a trout aswell as a Salmon.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭ComfortKid

Just because theres salmon in them doesn't mean im fishing for salmon.There full to the neck with brownies which is what I'm after so I hardly need a salmon licence?

stylie wrote:
    They are two Salmon rivers you mentioned so if you want to spin and worm them you better get a Salmon license. A single worm or a size 1 mepps will catch a trout aswell as a Salmon.

And I know a mepps will catch a trout. I said in the op that I've caught hundreds of trout on mepps and worm. My problem is I want to fish for bigger trout in bigger rivers

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭stylie

People on those rivers say they are trout fishing all the time with balls of worms or big mepps. If you dont want any hassle get a Salmon license.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

I hope this isn't dragging the thread away from what the OP wants but buying a salmon licence to fish for trout is madness. You can legally fish a salmon river for trout without going to the extreme of buying a salmon licence.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

Get a salmon licence to avoid any complications.
    Think of the amount of people that have been seen on a river and claimed to been fishing for trout and came gone with a salmon.

There's more trout than salmon in these rivers and its trout I want to fish. Yer telling me to get licence for something I dont want to catch? My problem is anywhere I've checked it says fly fishing only, so even if I got a salmon licence I still wouldn't be allowed to fish with worm or spinners? Does anyone know any stretches of these rivers that do allow spinning or worming?

I can see where ye are coming from that people might be taking salmon and letting on it's trout there after, but whats the point in not needing a licence for trout if they're going to look for a salmon licence? I know I'll never have any fish out of the water so I've no reason to be hassled and am not worried about bailiffs searching me or whatever.

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭popsy09

Fish the suir from the bridge in clonmel town upstream into the woods very very good I seen a 7lb trout caught on a mepps few years back

I also seen an 18lb salmon taken on same water , had great times up there when I was into trout fishing

No need to buy a licence 4lb line small rod and and reel and size 0/1 mepps and you will be fine

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭db97

I caught few nice trout in the suir in clonmel aswell on flying c and mepps and a jack pike great stretch of river for trout and there will be plenty of baliffs and will check what your using like they will make sure your not going for salmon I know the local lads down there use the bubble and fly method in the evening in the summer and catch loads so that might be worth a try if you go down.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Tipprobb

How do they fish the fly with a bubble?

popsy09 wrote:
    No need to buy a licence 4lb line small rod and and reel and size 0/1 mepps and you will be fine

I know I dont need a licence. Is it fly fishing only though or are you actually allowed use spinners? Do I need to get a permit?

db97 wrote:
    I caught few nice trout in the suir in clonmel aswell on flying c and mepps and a jack pike great stretch of river for trout and there will be plenty of baliffs and will check what your using like they will make sure your not going for salmon I know the local lads down there use the bubble and fly method in the evening in the summer and catch loads so that might be worth a try if you

What part like, in clonmel town was it? I thought that was all fly fishing only aswell? Is there anywere you haven't fished man ha

its just a bubble float with id say a metre of line with a wet fly they half fill it with water and retrieve it slowly iv never tryed this myself but iv seen lads catching plenty of trout on it.

db97 wrote:
    I caught few nice trout in the suir in clonmel aswell on flying c and mepps and a jack pike great stretch of river for trout and there will be plenty of baliffs and will check what your using like they will make sure your not going for salmon I know the local lads down there use the bubble and fly method in the evening in the summer and catch loads so that might be worth a try if you go down.

What part like, in clonmel town is it? I thought that was all fly fishing only too. Dont know how the bailiffs can tell the difference shur salmon and trout gear would be the same? Is there any place you haven't fished man ha

to be honest with you comfortkid im not mad into trout fishing so I wouldnt be 100% on if you need a permit like but I was spinning and bumped into a baliff and all he seemed to be worried about was if I was going for salmon.. aswell I heard them tazmanian devil spinners are meant to whack the trout out of it.. and I was fishing the stretch beside the park where dunnes and lidl is its nice deep slow water there..

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭popsy09

No permit its free fishing , I'm sure its in between the two bridges in the town is free , I never had a problem before and met countless people while fishing there baliffs included

Nice one lads sound I'm sure il venture down there over the summer at some stage. Hate to be picky but the thing I love about fishing is walking through fields and being with nature, wouldn't really like to be fishing in the town but if theres good trout to be caught il give it a go anyways. Gonna call in to the tackle shop in cahir and see if he knows any spots that allow spinning.

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭outdoors247

Fly's tied onto your line then your bubble at the tip its good for pond or lake fishing but good fun in river aswel if your accurate with your cast that is ha lost plenty of bubbles over the years

Fly's tied onto your line then your bubble at the tip its good for pond or lake fishing but good fun in river aswel if your accurate with your cast that is ha lost plenty of bubbles over the years

thats it yea never tryed it myself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭outdoors247

Its a good laugh I always end up using a stick for a bubble replacement do ha

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Glenn1999

Any tips for spinning for trout in Clonmel town?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Auldloon

ComfortKid wrote: »
    Dont know how the bailiffs can tell the difference shur salmon and trout gear would be the same?
    Leader strength. Use max 4 lb leader as someone else said and they can't really accuse you of targeting salmon.

Auldloon wrote:
    Leader strength. Use max 4 lb leader as someone else said and they can't really accuse you of targeting salmon.

Yea I agree with that and dont let them see ya using flying c spinners cause salmon are mad for them things id say use a tazmanian devil in fast water and a mepps in deep slow water any1 no if theres many pike in the suir these days there used to be a few but due to it been a trout water I think they kill the pike theres millions of dace in the suir so id say the pike would live off them like

Advertisement