Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

furniture standards

Options
  • 16-02-2015 12:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭

hi all a huge rent increase and my concerns about uncomfortable seating being ignored, washing machine in living area so loud you want to just run somewhere being told a mattress that will be replaced shall be a plastic coated variety! wtf?!!! any ideas for a woman on her own dealing with a ... um, irish landlord?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,536 ✭✭✭✭ted1

pointelle wrote: »
    hi all a huge rent increase and my concerns about uncomfortable seating being ignored, washing machine in living area so loud you want to just run somewhere being told a mattress that will be replaced shall be a plastic coated variety! wtf?!!! any ideas for a woman on her own dealing with a ... um, irish landlord?

You should really get your own bed and mattress.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭pointelle

bed and mattress are part of the inventory please don't try to antagonise people looking for advice it makes you look like a child even if you are using a nom de plume people can still see that you're foolish

• Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭quadrifoglio verde

bed and mattress are part of the inventory please don't try to antagonise people looking for advice it makes you look like a child even if you are using a nom de plume people can still see that you're foolish

There's nothing in the law that says what quality the mattress has to be. If I wasn't happy with my mattress, I'd go out and buy one that I'm happy with as opposed to getting a landlord to buy a cheap replacement.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

If you wish to post here I'd remind you to do so under the forum rules. The charter can be found here if you need a refresher.

Do not insult the regulars or you will be sanctioned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭Polo_Mint

well-that-escalated-jmg8n6.jpg

OP ted is right

Why not get some of your own stuff

Washing Machine excluded I dont think its the landlords job to collect a shopping list from you to suit YOUR needs

A landlord only needs to provide the basics.

And before you comment, Im a renter for years and have always made myself comfy buying my own stuff

• Advertisement

why reply to my reply to someone else? am i under attack by irish landlords!!! srsly tho get a life

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭Polo_Mint

why reply to my reply to someone else? am i under attack by irish landlords!!! srsly tho get a life

I can see now why your landlord wouldnt like to deal with you

can everyone please draw back your claws and cover your teeth what is wrong with you people a huge rent increase was dished out with no increase to standards i am seeking ADVICE not petty souls ABUSE WTF?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

can everyone please draw back your claws and cover your teeth what is wrong with you people a huge rent increase was dished out with no increase to standards i am seeking ADVICE not petty souls ABUSE WTF?

There doesn't have to be an increase to standards - the landlord is permitted to increase the rent once in every 12 month period so long as it does not surpass the current market rent in the area.

Mod Bit - watch your tone, it's not acceptable for this forum and if you don't behave I will lock this thread because you can't seem to play nice with the regulars here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭AlanG

is the furniture there now of a lower standard than what was there when you moved in. When I rent I always bring my own bed and mattress along with any other quality furniture I want. Irish renters and landlords are both poorly served by the current situation. Landlords have very little protection for expensive furniture that gets wrecked and as they have only a months rent deposit.
    In most countries the majority of rentals are unfurnished and this servers both parties better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,723 ✭✭✭ec18

i am open to correction but rent increase and standard of the furniture are independent of each other. i.e the landlord is entitled to charge the market rate for rent as long as the basic necessities are covered

• Registered Users Posts: 2,687 ✭✭✭blacklilly

There is zero correlation between statndard of furniture and rent increases.

To suggest that the landlord must all of a sudden provide you with a better standard of matress and/or other furniture does not make sense.

If you are unhappy with the one being provided, as others havwe suggested, you should purchase your own.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,536 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Wow , what a crazy response.
    Landlords provide cheap bed and mattresses.
    Tenants can piss in beds and do much more. You spend 33% of the day in the bed and a good night sleep is required to function. It's in your own interest in investing in a good quality bed and mattress that will last you and you can bring it with you when you move.

The current furniture and appliances are also part of the inventory , yet you want them changed.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

I'm sorry, but replacing a mattress with a plastic one is just ridiculous.

And given the obviously quality of the landlord that the OP is dealing with, getting their own stuff will only make it worse becasue the LL is unlikely to remove theirs. (Washing machine in the living room ... ffs!!!)

OP, I'm afraid the only advice I can give you is to look for another place. There is a category of LL in this country that treats tenants badly, and they are pretty much impossible to deal with. Thankfully they're not the majority.

In the meantime, make sure that you put all your requests in writing.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

Deal with it the same way a man on their own would. You are doing a disservice to every woman alive with statements like that. Your gender does not make you incapable. No idea what a plastic coated mattress is so won't comment on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭MrMorooka

It's all very well saying get your own bed and mattress, but loads of landlords will have no ability to take away and store the ones they provided. Then what do you do- more hassle for all involved.

There's a more general problem that rentals in Ireland generally have way too much furniture in them, often just random crap that takes up space and looks bad. Ireland does not know how to live in apartments and use the space correctly, they just try to stuff a semi-d's furniture into them.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Pointelle-

You have to be reasonable.

First off- a landlord is perfectly within his or her rights to review the rent, once every 12 months- but any proposed increase has to be in keeping with market rates. If you disagree with the increase- it is your prerogative to dispute the increase- but you have to show examples of comparable properties in the immediate vicinity to support your dispute. Any dispute concerning a rent increase would be lodged with the PRTB- and the proposed increase would be put on hold- however, if your dispute fails- the increase is backdated to when the landlord proposed to apply it.

With respect of the noise from the washing machine- the landlord is obliged to give you laundry cleaning facilities. Yes- washing machines can be noisy. To be brutally honest- mine sounds like it needs take-off permission from Dublin airport- with the din it makes. What most of us do in situations like that- is we turn on the machine when we're out of the house, so it doesn't bother us. Sure- you can get ultra quiet machines- however, the landlord has no obligation to buy you a new machine- just because the old one is noisy- in a similar manner to the simple fact that while I'd love a new machine too- my current one functions- and until such time as it stops functioning- it stays put.

Landlords (and hotels and others who supply mattresses for the letting and hospitality industries)- often choose to replace mattresses with vinyl covered ones. Its more hygienic for both landlords and tenants. I personally don't like them. What I do if I'm staying in a hotel for a night or two- is I bring my own mattress cover- I have a nice fluffy cotton one- cost me a little over 20 quid for it in Ikea. The whole point of the vinyl covered mattresses is that its the most hygienic way of providing a mattress that different people may have to use.

You have two options- buy a mattress protector yourself- make sure its a nice thick cotton one, which will mitigate the underlying vinyl- or- possibly the better option- get a nice mattress yourself, something that suits your own taste, and when you come to move elsewhere- whenever that may be- bring it with you. Its quite normal for people to get a few things like this themselves- aside from anything else- you get something specific to you- which best suits you. Sometimes people might want a firm or even an orthopaedic mattress- other times people make do. One way or the other- once the landlord provides you with a functional mattress- they have fulfilled their obligation- it would be highly unusual for them to specifically get something to suit you- unless they knew you were going to be staying there long term (as in- for years, possibly 10 or even more.......)

Finally- the other posters in the thread weren't being unreasonable or deliberately goading you. You do seem to have an abnormally unusual expectation of what your landlord should be providing to you. Sure- you may get a landlord somewhere who might accede to some of your wishes- but they are the exception rather than the rule- and not doing themselves any favours, unless you were in the property long term..........

Personally- I'd suggest popping into Ikea- you can get a few nice mattress covers, throws and others things- that will then be yours to bring with you when you move on elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Rasmus

First I'd find out if the rent increase is in accordance with the market rate. If not, that's something you need to discuss with the LL and you may want to find somewhere else if the price is right.
    Uncomfortable seating: If you are talking about chairs or sofas, nothing much you can do about that if you accepted them when you signed the lease.
    Loud washing machine: Not a valid complaint so all you can do is put the wash on when you are out.
    Mattress: I am not entirely sure what a plastic-coated mattress is - is that what they have in hostels? If so, it is probably better than the one you have. I have to say I agree with the posters that say buy your own. Why sleep on someone else's manky mattress? They are cheap and if the LL agrees to replace a mattress then he will take the old one (he will probably be happy enough for you to buy your own).
    As for the Irish LL thing, not sure what other kinds of LLs you are comparing them to. Any country I have rented in it has been a pretty much responsible for yourself situation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

OP, it's a rental unit, not a hotel.

If you want to personalise it, perhaps come to an arrangement with the landlord? Ie, contribute to part of the furniture if you want something higher spec?

Or, like others have said, buy your own, and take it with you when you move.

When I rented, I preferred unfurnished for this reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭Grandpa Hassan

I rent unfurnished for the same reason. Sorry, OP, if the LL has provided the minimum, which it sounds like he has, there is nothing you can do. It's not just an Irish thing

• Advertisement
Advertisement