Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Low powered computer - advice needed

Options
  • 16-02-2015 12:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭

Hi,

I want some type of basic computer which I will only use to before basic tasks as follows:

-connect to Internet via vpn
    -download files via ftp to a USB device or network drive
    -ability to manage remotely I. E. I intend to use vnc or team viewer to manage the device remotely

That is really the extent of what I need it for. I was considering a raspberry pi but just think it may be too awkward for me to configure the above on a raspberry pi.

I would need a low powered device. A windows device might be better as I'm more familiar with the operating system and would be much faster and easier for me to setup.

Many thanks for your suggestions!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

New raspberry pi (the quad core one) comes with windows if you want it. It sounds like just the ticket for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭theroomisonfire

Windows 8.1 or do we need to wait for Windows 10?

Khannie wrote: »
    New raspberry pi (the quad core one) comes with windows if you want it. It sounds like just the ticket for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭PrzemoF

I was just about to say raspberry pi, but you're not comfortable with the setup...

Anyway raspberry Pi 2 is cheap and fits the bill. Think about it again - there are plenty of documentation and you're not trying to set up a boat motor monitoring, so it should be easy. There are a few really good linux admins reading unix secton, so getting help should be easy as well.

P.S. I have a headless rpi server (a small webpage, owncloud, photo archive with 2 external disks, git repository backup and music server MPD for local streaming) running 24/7 and it's bulletproof.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭PrzemoF

Khannie wrote: »

I don't want to derail the thread, but from what I read the "windows 10 for rpi" might not be exactly what the name is suggesting. More here:
    http://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=63&t=98419

If I got a synology nas, would I be able to do most of what I want which is essentially using a vpn and downloading large files with auto resume for interrupted downloads?

PrzemoF wrote: »
    I don't want to derail the thread, but from what I read the "windows 10 for rpi" might not be exactly what the name is suggesting. More here:
    http://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=63&t=98419

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

A cheap full sized laptop with a atom (Celeron) N2380 cpu with a full version of windows is what I'd pick.

Windows for Pi isn't there yet. Probably not for some time. No comments on the Linux route with Pi. No experience of it.

I'm considering getting an Intel nuc with a celeron processor. Would that use mich more electricity than a raspberry pi if left on all the time?

A nuc seems an expensive way to do the same thing as the laptop.

http://www.legitreviews.com/intel-nuc-dn2820fykh-bay-trail-system-review_135053/7

Once you add a screen WiFi mouse I wonder is there much difference in power consumption between a n2380 and the pi 2 but I couldn't find good articles on it.

Problem with the laptop is that it is bulkier and will likely be slower as a reasonably priced laptop is not likely to have a SSD drive. Screen could also make it more power hungry

beauf wrote: »
    A cheap full sized laptop with a atom (Celeron) N2380 cpu with a full version of windows is what I'd pick.

Windows for Pi isn't there yet. Probably not for some time. No comments on the Linux route with Pi. No experience of it.

I didn't read your spec properly that it would be screenless device.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Ddwrt, or even native firmware, on a cheap router with a USB interface? You can do all of those things via a web browser, or even command line, not too much trouble to learn.

TheChizler wrote: »
    Ddwrt, or even native firmware, on a cheap router with a USB interface? You can do all of those things via a web browser, or even command line, not too much trouble to learn.

Sounds good but how would one go about setting up Web interface and why do you need custom firmware on the router.

Any guides you could recommend?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Sounds good but how would one go about setting up Web interface and why do you need custom firmware on the router.

Any guides you could recommend?

Thanks
    My guide has always been Google! Some routers eg. some netgear can do that natively, but DDWRT isn't hard to set up. It's generally a lot more functional than native firmware.

If you have an old router lying around you can probably get going straight away.

Are there any useful computers equivalent to a raspberry pi that have USB ports but also run Android. Android would be a lot easier to get good apps. Finding it difficult to operate raspian and awkward having to install new software through the command prompt. Would prefer something a little more user friendly given my lack of coding skills.

TheChizler wrote: »
    My guide has always been Google! Some routers eg. some netgear can do that natively, but DDWRT isn't hard to set up. It's generally a lot more functional than native firmware.

If you have an old router lying around you can probably get going straight away.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,235 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Raspberry Pi worked for me. I don't run it much, but when I do its configured to power on, connect to WiFi and run the FTP client I have. From there, I can drop torrent files into the Pi's download queue via FTP and it will do the rest. When files are done I just yank them from the flash drive attached to the Pi as needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

Very helpful. Thank you!

[
    quote="Overheal;94380143"]Raspberry Pi worked for me. I don't run it much, but when I do its configured to power on, connect to WiFi and run the FTP client I have. From there, I can drop torrent files into the Pi's download queue via FTP and it will do the rest. When files are done I just yank them from the flash drive attached to the Pi as needed.[/quote]

Interesting. Wondering if anybody has experience with this device.

[

quote="vibe666;94380506"]How's this for a low powered Windows (and android) device? :)

http://m.banggood.com/MeeGo-T01-Mini-PC-Intel-Z3735F-1_33GHz-Win8_1-Support-Android-4_4-p-965551.html[/quote]

• Registered Users Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

Maybe one of these might suit you. Haven't used one myself.
    http://www.laptopmag.com/reviews/mini-pcs/android-40-mini-pc

• Registered Users Posts: 25 AndreiD

Why not just get a cheap Windows tablet?
    An Acer Iconia Tab 8 should be around the 140 euro mark and can do everything you'd need it to do, plus you wouldn't need extra accessories to get it to work, maybe apart from an USB OTG cable.
    I have an Asus Vivotab Note 8 that I use to remote to my PC or play some oldies like Heroes 3 on it.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 203 ✭✭AndersLimpar

Are you willing to build your own? I built the pc below as a htpc for €145 and its the bees knees for what it does.

CPU - Intel Pentium G3258 - New
    MOBO - ASUS A81 Micro ATX - New
    MEMORY - 2 x 2GB RAM DDR - Second Hand
    HDD - WD Scorpio 160GB 7200 3.5" - Second Hand
    CASE - Antec NSK1380 Case - Second Hand

I wanted to build a cheap low power plex server and it transcodes 3 x 720p streams to phones and tablets over bad internet connection without skipping a beat. Will do 2 x 1080p streams also no problem.

The htpc is headless and sitting beside my NAS in the attic. I use powerline plugs to connect it to my router and is running Crashplan backup, google music, teamviewer, ftp server, bittorrent and Plex without a bother so would run what you are looking for easily.

Advertisement