Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rag Week!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,382 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

Can anyone explain the origins of Donegal Tuesday?

As a Donegal man myself, I'd at least like to understand what I've been branded with.
    Hubbie knows the guy who started it. The guy was a student in Galway, from Donegal, organised it as a way of meeting up with other Donegal people and also (I think) it was done in conjunction with the pub to get a few people in. Will try find out more this evening from the hubbie.

Ah it has however spiralled seriously out of control the last number of years. The original guy behind it is long out of Galway. When my bro & sis in law were in college they travelled down to Galway especially for it for the session.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Topic to be discussed on Joe Duffy :D
    Is there mayhem on the streets of Galway today? 500 students queuing for a pub that holds 200 for #DonegalTuesday. If you're there, text 51551

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Gits_bone

snubbleste wrote: »
    Topic to be discussed on Joe Duffy :D
    Is there mayhem on the streets of Galway today? 500 students queuing for a pub that holds 200 for #DonegalTuesday. If you're there, text 51551

Doubt anyone that's there is able to text 51551 at this stage. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,705 ✭✭✭serfboard

snubbleste wrote: »
    If you're there, text 51551
    Text 51551 so they can get you on Liveline and the nation gets to hear drunk people talking with music and other voices roaring in the background. Sounds like radio gold to me!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

Being from donegal my favourite thing about Donegal Tuesday is the fact that anyone from Donegal I asked had only heard about it when they came to Galway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,734 ✭✭✭zarquon

Caliden wrote: »
    I just don't get it.
    There's no drink promotions going on in the hole so what's the big deal?

Because a lot of people are sheep, rarely capable of independent thought or action.

"My friends are doing something stupid = i have to do it too or i'll look dumb" :rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Gits_bone

zarquon wrote: »
    Because a lot of people are sheep, rarely capable of independent thought or action.

"My friends are doing something stupid = i have to do it too or i'll look dumb" :rolleyes:

+1.

Also adds to their status.

"Sure I'll see ya in the Hole on Tuesday"

Facebook status @10am. "In the queue for the Hole". Look at me and how I'm such a mad bastard.

I don't mind students going mad for a week as once you start working the craic isn't as mad or as crazy... but I couldn't stand in a queue for hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,705 ✭✭✭serfboard

I think it's more a case of "My friends are going drinking for the day and I want to go too, because getting sh1tfaced is great crack", which is more or less what rag week (or indeed race week) is all about.

I think the comparison that others have made with race week is valid. A friend of mine used to work for one of the drinks companies and 20% of all the alcohol sold in Galway for the whole year, was sold in the period of Race Week/August bank holiday weekend. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

FitzShane wrote: »
    It's a great pub with great craic for students. Nice big open area outside too and it seems like a decent day outside.

That, and a jukebox. Jukeboxes are great.

I see you point and it is great craic when there's a good crowd but at capacity it's a nightmare.

Thinking about it, it's the only decent sized 'beer garden' in Galway.

There's nicer but they're all smaller. If they want to drink outside they should've just got a few cans and gone down to the S'Arch.

Off topic:
    serfboard wrote: »
    I think the comparison that others have made with race week is valid. A friend of mine used to work for one of the drinks companies and 20% of all the alcohol sold in Galway for the whole year, was sold in the period of Race Week/August bank holiday weekend. :eek:
    I can imagine there is going to be a lot of lobbying given the proposed plans for the new motorway will put the Galways races out of commission for 2 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,661 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

I'm just back after my lunch break in town. Got the 405 bus in (don't get me started) and could see nothing wrong outside Fibber Magee's. No students throwing anything of the sort.

No ruckus in Eyre Square or the neighboring streets.

This is all being blown out of proportion, much like yesterday's made up stories.

Let the students have their fun. What harm or damage are they doing? Damn them students keeping a pub open and giving employment to local youth. Damn them for giving money to the local community.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭Intifada

As long as nobody is getting excrement thrown at them today I say let them off. Temperatures dropped pretty low last night and I can only imagine how it must feel to be struck by a frozen stool. Still haven't heard back from the university or council yet btw but what surprise is that??

• Registered Users Posts: 15,661 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Intifada wrote: »
    As long as nobody is getting excrement thrown at them today I say let them off. Temperatures dropped pretty low last night and I can only imagine how it must feel to be struck by a frozen stool. Still haven't heard back from the university or council yet btw but what surprise is that??

What proof do you have that this actually happened? :rolleyes:

Cllr Niall McNeilis on line 1

• Registered Users Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭Brendan Flowers

New drinking game for the students. Tune into Joe Duffy and every time a caller/text/email regarding Rag Week mentions "as a taxpayer" you take a shot. Be hammered in no time!

Barnardos CEO on line 2

Intifada wrote: »

As far as NUIG is concerned (not sure if that's the college you contacted) there is no rag week and you claimed to witness two random 17-25 year olds doing something. What do you expect them to say? Sorry, we'll get straight back to policing that entire age group in the city?

Where can you buy a bottle of beer cheaper than a bottle of water in Galway :confused:

Whats stupid about starting early and having the craic on the tuesday of rag week. Sessions starting early in the morning are some of the best sessions there are.

Its many years since I was doing rag week but I'm still partial to the odd "early house" visit at 8am on a Saturday morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,340 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

It was fairly subdued around Woodquay last night to be honest. Actually saw a Guard going around knocking on doors during the afternoon presumably warning students about unsocial behaviour. Lots of guards about today. Must have passed at least 6 just walking from Woodquay to Shop street. Will probably be a good bit livelier around tonight but nothing compared to the mayhem of a few years ago.

Rosemary 'its an absolute disgrace Joe' on Line 3

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭nuac

From what I hear on radio we will be lucky if nobody is badly hurt or worse from this binge drinking

Where do students get all the cash?

Can someone tell Joe about the poo incident please, I've no phone

Hole in the wall visitor on Line 4

nuac wrote: »
    From what I hear on radio we will be lucky if nobody is badly hurt or worse from this binge drinking

Where do students get all the cash?

Job,
    Family,
    Grant,
    Scholarship,
    Drug dealing,
    Found it,
    Lotto,
    Back to education,
    Child benefit,
    Gift,
    Smart investments.

Pretty much the same places everyone else can or does.

Job,
    Family,
    Grant,
    Scholarship,
    Drug dealing,
    Found it,
    Lotto,
    Back to education,
    Child benefit,
    Gift,
    Smart investments.

Pretty much the same places everyone else can or does.

IMF and Water Charges hey

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭dloob

Whats stupid about starting early and having the craic on the tuesday of rag week. Sessions starting early in the morning are some of the best sessions there are.

Its many years since I was doing rag week but I'm still partial to the odd "early house" visit at 8am on a Saturday morning.

Sure it's great, if your an alcoholic, and Ireland has no shortage of those.
    Mostly in denial of course, they just having the craic, could stop any time, etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I was down there earlier at about mid-day. It was packed, but to be fair it's being managed well enough, plenty of bouncers and a few people turfed out while I was there for acting the eejit. That said, I'm sure it'll start getting messy as the afternoon goes on. Most locals extremely unimpressed, few said they saw no harm in it. Overall, no real harm done I think. It's only one day.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

People drinking in a pub. The scandal of it!

Sensible student on Line 6

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,340 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Joe seems absolutely amazed that students drink. God love him.

Advertisement