Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rag Week!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,734 ✭✭✭zarquon

Whats stupid about starting early and having the craic on the tuesday of rag week. Sessions starting early in the morning are some of the best sessions there are.

Its many years since I was doing rag week but I'm still partial to the odd "early house" visit at 8am on a Saturday morning.

You want to know what's stupid about day long drinking starting at 10.30am or 8 a.m. I think the irony is your question and hence intelligent debate would be wasted here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭dloob

I was down there earlier at about mid-day. It was packed, but to be fair it's being managed well enough, plenty of bouncers and a few people turfed out while I was there for acting the eejit. That said, I'm sure it'll start getting messy as the afternoon goes on. Most locals extremely unimpressed, few said they saw no harm in it. Overall, no real harm done I think. It's only one day.

It does seem to have been quieter the in the last year or two.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Lorikeet111

Them two students that came on!! Head in hands listening to them!

Anyone ringing in about the poo incident or will i................

Right im on it!

dloob wrote: »
    Sure it's great, if your an alcoholic, and Ireland has no shortage of those.
    Mostly in denial of course, they just having the craic, could stop any time, etc.

Going drinking early in the morning an odd time does not make someone an alcoholic.
    zarquon wrote: »
    You want to know what's stupid about day long drinking starting at 10.30am or 8 a.m. I think the irony is your question and hence intelligent debate would be wasted here.

Well there isn't anything stupid about it, just in some peoples heads. What exactly is wrong with it in your opinion? Some of the best craic I ever had were days like these. If you have never done it though you obviously don't realize how much fun it is or are too dry to understand it.

Going drinking early in the morning an odd time does not make someone an alcoholic.

Yep, queuing to get into pubs at 10.30am or sneaking in to them at 8am cannot be used to show that one may have an alcohol dependence issue.

In other news, a world first! - people with alcohol dependence claim they don't have a have problem, imagine that.
    G

Well there isn't anything stupid about it, just in some peoples heads. What exactly is wrong with it in your opinion? Some of the best craic I ever had were days like these. If you have never done it though you obviously don't realize how much fun it is or are too dry to understand it.

I have enough personality to have fun without getting sh1tfaced. I understand that there are plenty out there though incapable of having or being fun without alcohol to irradicate their inadequate personality

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,957 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Some of the best craic I ever had were days like these. If you have never done it though you obviously don't realize how much fun it is or a too dry to understand it.

Or you've had a more interesting life...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Joe seems absolutely amazed that students drink. God love him.

I'd say Joe was no angel when he was a student...

• Registered Users Posts: 15,661 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

I remember a time not so long ago, where people were queuing up early to get into pubs to watch an early Ireland rugby game in the World Cup. IIRC it was around 9am. Was there uproar then?

Yep, queuing to get into pubs at 10.30am or sneaking in to them at 8am cannot be used to show that one may have an alcohol dependence issue.

In other news, a world first! - people with alcohol dependence claim they don't have a have problem, imagine that.

Who said anything about sneaking? There are official early houses in Ireland which open a 7am, just not in Galway.

Its a thing myself and a group of friends do every now and again, meet up for days drinking at 8am on a sat morning, its very hard to beat the atmosphere of a pub early in the morning packed to the rafters!

As for your comment on intelligence, the last time I was drinking early in the morning 4 out of 5 of us had PhD's and the 5th is working towards his.

Who said anything about sneaking? There are official early houses in Ireland which open a 7am, just not in Galway.

Its a thing myself and a group of friends do every now and again, meet up for days drinking at 8am on a sat morning, its very hard to beat the atmosphere of a pub early in the morning packed to the rafters!

Likewise it's very hard to beat the atmosphere of A&E when it's packed to the rafters with knobs during raceweek and ragweek. As someone who unfortunately has to spend a lot of time in hospital i've had the misfortune to encounter many A&E admissions by "legends" who were great craic due to their big sessions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40 Lorikeet111

Machine guns!!!!! OMG This country is gas

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Them two students that came on!! Head in hands listening to them!

Anyone ringing in about the poo incident or will i................

Right im on it!
    Thought some excellent and sexy points were made by said students

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭crusier

As for your comment on intelligence, the last time I was drinking early in the morning 4 out of 5 of us had PhD's and the 5th is working towards his.

I've met plenty fools with PhD's, its no guarantee of common sense!

Likewise it's very hard to beat the atmosphere of A&E when it's packed to the rafters with knobs during raceweek and ragweek. As someone who unfortunately has to spend a lot of time in hospital i've had the misfortune to encounter many A&E admissions by "legends" who were great craic due to their big sessions.

So because a tiny minority end up in A&E means those who don't are stupid for enjoying it?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭nuac

In most fishing ports there are pubs permitted to open at 7 a,m to facilitate those in the fishing industry.

Five Ph.D. students going for early morning drinking? Sad that.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Joe Duffy spent 1h15m on it..including a woman who called in "My daughter is in the Hole in the Wall right now"

nuac wrote: »
    In most fishing ports there are pubs permitted to open at 7 a,m to facilitate those in the fishing industry.

It was 4 PhD qualified researches and one student, whats sad about it? Think what you want but you are missing out if you dont try it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,662 ✭✭✭elefant

nuac wrote: »

The eagerness of people to pass judgment on others doing things that do not effect them in any way astounds me on these threads every year.

If you've had your own property thrashed by a group of students during RAG week I can understand your frustration and a desire to vent. But to reduce arguments to a level of: 'drinking in the morning is sad and equals alcoholism without exception', or 'those wastrels participating in RAG week shouldn't have that money to spend, and in a recession!' just baffles me.

Where does level of anger and resentment come from? :confused:

It was 4 PhD qualified researches and one student, whats sad about it?

People with nothing better to do in their lives but drink all day and study all day on their non drinking days.

Sure, what's sad about that? What great craic, i really wish i had a life filled with such fun :rolleyes:
    elefant wrote: »
    The eagerness of people to pass judgment on others doing things that do not effect them in any way astounds me on these threads every year.

If you've had your own property thrashed by a group of students during RAG week I can understand your frustration and a desire to vent. But to reduce arguments to a level of: 'drinking in the morning is sad and equals alcoholism without exception', or 'those wastrels participating in RAG week shouldn't have that money to spend, and in a recession!' just baffles me.

Where does level of anger and resentment come from? :confused:

A lot of people miss the whole irony. One could very easily ask where does the level of anger and resentment towards those who are opposed to drinking in an unhealthy and immature fashion come from?

Massive amounts of outrage directed at those who are also outraged and have the terrible audacity to actually draw attention to Ireland's unhealthy atitude to alcohol and the lack of maturity from many young adults (and equally older adults during events like race week).

• Registered Users Posts: 12,151 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Whats stupid about starting early and having the craic on the tuesday of rag week. Sessions starting early in the morning are some of the best sessions there are.

Its many years since I was doing rag week but I'm still partial to the odd "early house" visit at 8am on a Saturday morning.

The most interesting part of all this thread so far is why Madcon has thanked both of the above posts, split personality maybe?

• Advertisement

The most interesting part of all this thread so far is why Madcon has thanked both of the above posts, split personality maybe?

Q.E.D. Madcon is obviously enjoying the festivities too hence the irrationality.

Q.E.D. Madcon is obviously enjoying the festivities too hence the irrationality.

Im gonna go out on a limb and assume he will be thanking my post soon.

Im gonna go out on a limb and assume he will be thanking my post soon.

That's if he's not in A&E wrestling 2 gardai who are only dry sh1tes for spoiling the fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,454 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

I've noticed before he just randomly thanks things. His post count over three years isn't exactly huge.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,662 ✭✭✭elefant

A lot of people miss the whole irony. One could very easily ask where does the level of anger and resentment towards those who are opposed to drinking in an unhealthy and immature fashion come from?

Massive amounts of outrage directed at those who are also outraged and have the terrible audacity to actually draw attention to Ireland's unhealthy atitude to alcohol and the lack of maturity from many young adults (and equally older adults during events like race week).

It's one thing being opposed to unhealthy drinking habits, it's another to make passive-aggressive hints about individuals having alcohol dependencies or disregard for law and order because they aren't utterly opposed to RAG week activities.

Your posts do not come across as written by someone looking to seriously 'draw attention to Ireland's unhealthy attitude to alcohol', but more as an attempt to belittle anyone who doesn't agree with you.

Also, these type of 'festivities' are in no way limited to just Irish culture. RAG Week and Race Week pale in comparison to Carnaval and King's Day celebrated by the healthy and mature Dutch population, for example.

I've noticed before he just randomly thanks things. His post count over three years isn't exactly huge.

Very often i find my posts thanked by him/it/her, and yes the low post count is just plain odd, Madcon please stop thanking my posts unless youre gonna contribute to discussions.:cool:

That's if he's not in A&E wrestling 2 gardai who are only dry sh1tes for spoiling the fun.

Id highly doubt thats the case but sure more power to him if he is.

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭wacotaco

Me and G and Kc gettin steamed later on shams

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭Tommybojangles

Anyone up for Buckie by the Sparch?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭wacotaco

Ha ya im going got a buid
    there at 7pm

Advertisement