Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rag Week!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Timmyctc

In fairness I think zarquon secretly loves this time of year. Wakes up early in the morning, extra early, jumps out of bed, straight onto the computer "Cant wait to complain to random internet strangers about something that doesn't affect me in the slightest"

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

zarquon wrote: »
    You want to know what's stupid about day long drinking starting at 10.30am or 8 a.m. I think the irony is your question and hence intelligent debate would be wasted here.

What I don't understand is why this "concern" about drinking from early morning only manifests itself when students are the ones doing it.

What about the alcoholics scattered in every pub around the country involved in day-long drinking on a much more regular basis than students do during rag week? Why aren't you concerned about those people? Where are they getting the money for it?

People with nothing better to do in their lives but drink all day and study all day on their non drinking days.

Sure, what's sad about that? What great craic, i really wish i had a life filled with such fun :rolleyes:

Sounds like your anti-student stance is pure begrudgery to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,734 ✭✭✭zarquon

What I don't understand is why this "concern" about drinking from early morning only manifests itself when students are the ones doing it.

What about the alcoholics scattered in every pub around the country involved in day-long drinking on a much more regular basis than students do during rag week? Why aren't you concerned about those people? Where are they getting the money for it?

Sounds like your anti-student stance is pure begrudgery to me.

I am equally as concerned with race week behaviour but this is a rag week thread and i don't want to go off topic. Please feel free to frequent race week threads if you want to discuss the greater societal issues.

I'm not anti-student, i am anti-binge drinking. There is a big difference although it speaks volumes when someone automatically equates being anti-binge drinking as the same as being anti-student. Infer from that what you will, but you are validating my points without little effort from me

I'm also a vocal opponent of domestic/child/emotional abuse, theft, murder, anti-social behaviour, etc. Does that also make me a begrudger in those areas?

The classic irish debate rebuttal when intelligent discourse is too difficult for a proponent, mock the situation or follow the last ditch response- "you disagree with me, shure your only a begrudger!"
    Timmyctc wrote: »
    something that doesn't affect me in the slightest"

Hmm, you seem to know a lot about me then. Oh wait, if you did then you would know this statement to be entirely untrue. Thank you though for telling me about a facet of my life i didn't know about.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭Korat

The subject of student drinking seems to pop up every few years as if it's something new and that past generations of students were more sensible with alcohol.

The immodest attire of young wimmin will be the next 'Scandalous Students' story you can expect.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

I am equally as concerned with race week behaviour but this is a rag week thread and i don't want to go off topic. Please feel free to frequent race week threads if you want to discuss the greater societal issues.

Please feel free to read my post properly - I didn't mention anything about race week.

When you're capable of reading properly, perhaps intelligent debate might be on the table.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,734 ✭✭✭zarquon

Korat wrote: »
    The subject of student drinking seems to pop up every few years as if it's something new and that past generations of students were more sensible with alcohol.

The immodest attire of young wimmin will be the next 'Scandalous Students' story you can expect.

It's a vicious circle, the youth of today become the adults of tommorow and demonstrate a way of life acceptable of their children and so on.

Nothing new at all. The same people who go nuts during rag week may eventually be going nuts during race week as supposed more mature adults!
    Please feel free to read my post properly - I didn't mention anything about race week.

When you're capable of reading properly, perhaps intelligent debate might be on the table.

There are inferences and allusions to be extrapolated from my content of conversation. Having to discuss and explain in very plain black and white makes for an uninteresting and frankly tedious conversation.

Thank you for the very ironic mocking response though, once again Q.E.D.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭nuac

It was 4 PhD qualified researches and one student, whats sad about it? Think what you want but you are missing out if you dont try it.

I have seen too many promising careers ruined by alcoholism

• Registered Users Posts: 25,957 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

They're mostly not regarded as the future of the nation - unlike most of the youngsters queued outside HITW today.

In the Woodquay area, anyway, many of the regular daytime drinkers are retired, many after long hard working careers. And they don't keep drinking all night.

And as for all the tripe about people posting about things that don't concern them: well I know how well we slept (or didn't) in my house last night, due to noise made by packs of two-legged animals roaming the streets. I'd suspect many other inner city homes had the same issue. And it's my taxes that have to pay the council workers for their extra hard today cleaning up the rubbish bags that were kicked all over the streets. Even race-week patrons are smart enough to not bother doing that.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭El_Dangeroso

And as for all the tripe about people posting about things that don't concern them: well I know how well we slept (or didn't) in my house last night, due to noise made by packs of two-legged animals roaming the streets.

Was awoken by a bunch of these 'gentlemen' at 3:30am this morning roaring outside my front door, and I don't even live in the city centre. I had to work today for 9 hours on a very crappy night's sleep.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,151 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

They're mostly not regarded as the future of the nation - unlike most of the youngsters queued outside HITW today.

In the Woodquay area, anyway, many of the regular daytime drinkers are retired, many after long hard working careers. And they don't keep drinking all night.

And as for all the tripe about people posting about things that don't concern them: well I know how well we slept (or didn't) in my house last night, due to noise made by packs of two-legged animals roaming the streets. I'd suspect many other inner city homes had the same issue. And it's my taxes that have to pay the council workers for their extra hard today cleaning up the rubbish bags that were kicked all over the streets. Even race-week patrons are smart enough to not bother doing that.
    Raging alcoholics many of them, especially the ones regularly seen smoking outside one pub. Your taxes also pay for their health issues.

• Advertisement

Seems to be a fundamental misunderstanding of what alcoholism is from zarquon bumble et al

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭Tugboats

snubbleste wrote: »
    Joe Duffy spent 1h15m on it..including a woman who called in "My daughter is in the Hole in the Wall right now"

Can only imagine the state of her daughter's hole now. I'd say half of Donegal have been in it...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭Jamsiek

Very often i find my posts thanked by him/it/her, and yes the low post count is just plain odd, Madcon please stop thanking my posts unless youre gonna contribute to discussions.:cool:

I also notice that Madcon usually thanks Nox001 but never says anything. Maybe they know each other. Just an observation

• Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭dubhthach

Korat wrote: »

Yeah sure back in 2000 we only went to the College bar at about 10am (after been out until 5am), now adays "ye young folks are getting away with murder" ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Redhairedguy

Ah jaysus, would you ever leave poor auld Madcon alone? Sure, if they want to thank a few auld posts from time to time, that's their business, and shure ye're only a load of begrudgers anyway.

Rag week, much like race week, always comes and goes every year with the same, fairly swiftly, speed (Though not swift enough for some, it appears). I agree, that it's an inconvenience at the best of times, and do truly feel sorry for anyone affected or displaced by the week, but the world keeps turning, and at least the seagulls will be eating well tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭nuac

dubhthach wrote: »
    Yeah sure back in 2000 we only went to the College bar at about 10am (after been out until 5am), now adays "ye young folks are getting away with murder" ;)

Back in the fifties there was no college bar, only Ma Creavin's Coffee shop.

My first Lit and Deb debate was on the important issue of the cup of coffee going from three pence to fourpence.

Nearest pub to college was Peter Michael Keleghans, opposite the hospital entrance. Pints costing about two shillings each.

But we were happy....................

• Registered Users Posts: 8,172 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Pretty sure the crap throwing was trolling BUT anybody remember a few years ago during RAG week somebody smeared crap all over the wall of the the internet cafe...it wasn't an internet cafe at the time though. They ended up having to chip off some of the paint...but most importantly, it was great craic

• Registered Users Posts: 10,454 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

nuac wrote: »

Nearest pub to college was Peter Michael Keleghans, opposite the hospital entrance. Pints costing about two shillings each.

But we were happy....................

Don't think it was pints you were having 'cos my drinking days had started when the 'draft now available' sign went up.
    Brilliant pub though and we always formed an orderly queue at the hatch no matter what time of the "day" it was.

its quite funny how every year the same posters are on complaining about rag week and race week (best week of the year), there are a lot of curtain twitcher/dry types around this forum is appears. Look how many pages we are into yet another rag week thread.

In contrast head over to the Cork forum, its rag week there, the place is just as mad yet not a thread worthy event in the forum??

Some here wont be happy until we totally ban any bit of craic or fun in the city, I'm convinced of that so everyone will have to sit at home bored off their arse like some here.
    nuac wrote: »
    I have seen too many promising careers ruined by alcoholism

Yeah because going drinking early in the day a few times a year makes someone an alcoholic, really where do people fabricate these opinions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭Brendan Flowers

And i'd nearly say some of those that come in here each year complaining about Rag Week are actually disappointed if there is no trouble as it gives them nothing to moan about. I mean just look at this thread, now people are having to refer to things that happened a few years ago just share their outrage with us!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭whineflu

Seems to be a fundamental misunderstanding of what alcoholism is from zarquon bumble et al

I know several people who started binge drinking in college and never stopped. In more than one case binge drinking led to serious problem drinking which affected their work, their relationships and their mental health. The heavy drinkers tended to club together after everyone else eased off in later years. Oddly it was the more introverted types who ended up having issues with it... but then alcohol is usually a social crutch in Ireland.
    You may dispute the extent of this but without making personal statements I would just say that younger people tend to think they are invincible because they haven't encountered enough reality yet.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Gits_bone

whineflu wrote: »
    I know several people who started binge drinking in college and never stopped. In more than one case binge drinking led to serious problem drinking which affected their work, their relationships and their mental health. The heavy drinkers tended to club together after everyone else eased off in later years. Oddly it was the more introverted types who ended up having issues with it... but then alcohol is usually a social crutch in Ireland.
    You may dispute the extent of this but without making personal statements I would just say that younger people tend to think they are invincible because they haven't encountered enough reality yet.

Sounds more like a case of wine flu to me!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,199 ✭✭✭muppetkiller

Firstly I cannot understand why anyone would queue up for a Pub when there's nothing going on in there other than drinking.

Secondly I cannot understand why anyone would queue to get into the Hole in the Wall. It's the biggest $HIT hole in the town. I mean even the Fibbers is a nicer pub and that's saying something.

And seeing as it's bloody freezing in Feb why you'd queue in only that manky Donegal jersey ?

I was in college so had many a mental Rag weeks so can appreciate that this is a great week for many Students. But be careful out there, there was always an scumbag element in my time that would show up looking for trouble (often not in any of the Galway colleges) and I think it's worse now.

This might come as a shock to you Muppet, but people like different things to you.

its quite funny how every year the same posters are on complaining about rag week and race week (best week of the year), there are a lot of curtain twitcher/dry types around this forum is appears. Look how many pages we are into yet another rag week thread.

In contrast head over to the Cork forum, its rag week there, the place is just as mad yet not a thread worthy event in the forum??

Ya, it's the same people who live in the city who have to put up with this crap. Those who live outside the city can lecture us all about our buzzkilling efforts.

Also Cork's is a bigger city and rag week there is far less noticiable/impactful on the city's residents.

Even Limerick's rag week doesn't affect the city too much.

Also Cork's is a bigger city and rag week there is far less noticiable/impactful on the city's residents.

That's nonsense to be fair, Cork city centre is not that much bigger than Galway. I was around the Cork city last night coming home from work late and the place was mental especially in the areas surrounding the college which has a large amount of non-student residents also.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,199 ✭✭✭muppetkiller

This might come as a shock to you Muppet, but people like different things to you.

maybe just lower standards :p

That's nonsense to be fair, Cork city centre is not that much bigger than Galway. I was around the Cork city last night coming home from work late and the place was mental especially in the areas surrounding the college which has a large amount of non-student residents also.

I'm sorry I have literally no idea what point you are making. So just because Cork city doesn't have a thread then we shouldn't have one?

Also Cork is much bigger than Galway. Galway's city borders are very big and encompass far bigger an area than it should.

I don't know why someone who doesn't live in the city would even have an opinion either way tbh.

maybe just lower standards :p

Of maybe some people really enjoy it. If you gave me a choice between going on the beer tomorrow morning or choosing something else to do, I'd struggle to come up with something else I'd enjoy as much as going on the tear!
    I'm sorry I have literally no idea what point you are making. So just because Cork city doesn't have a thread then we shouldn't have one?

My point was its obviously not such a big deal to people as it is to some here.
    Also Cork is much bigger than Galway. Galway's city borders are very big and encompass far bigger an area than it should.

I'm from Galway and live in Cork at the moment and the city centre of Cork and the city centre of galway where all the pubs, resturants etc are along with the university and many residential areas are not that much different in area. Cork is bigger but not by that much and especially the very city centre where these events are concentrated. In fact I would say there is a lot more population concentrated in areas around the university and between the university and the city centre in Cork than Galway so more people would be affected more not less as you say.
    I don't know why someone who doesn't live in the city would even have an opinion either way tbh.

Because people whining about a week where students have a bit of craic and the vast majority do nothing wrong annoys me. Much the same way people complaining about the races annoy me so I will always have an opinion on it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,172 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Of maybe some people really enjoy it. If you gave me a choice between going on the beer tomorrow morning or choosing something else to do, I'd struggle to come up with something else I'd enjoy as much as going on the tear!

My point was its obviously not such a big deal to people as it is to some here.

I'm from Galway and live in Cork at the moment and the city centre of Cork and the city centre of galway where all the pubs, resturants etc are along with the university and many residential areas are not that much different in area. Cork is bigger but not by that much and especially the very city centre where these events are concentrated. In fact I would say there is a lot more population concentrated in areas around the university and between the university and the city centre in Cork than Galway so more people would be affected more not less as you say.

Because people whining about a week where students have a bit of craic and the vast majority do nothing wrong annoys me. Much the same way people complaining about the races annoy me so I will always have an opinion on it.

Yeah but the point others are making is that you admitted during college you didn't live in the city and you don't live in the city now. So your opinion hasn't been formed whilst living through RAG week as a resident in the city. I haven't lived in the city in three years. From what I heard, last year wasn't bad and so far this year hasn't been too bad. If this was the norm, I don't think anybody would begrudge RAG week at all. It might even be seen as a positive.

I would guess you've also never lived in the city during Race week, either, eh?

So your opinion again is not based on experience from living in the city during these events. So...you talking about people being dry and all that, means nothing...

Here's my take on RAG week vs Race Week. During Race week, people are out of the city at the track itself for a few hours in the day. You get hit by traffic at certain times but the fact the people aren't around, gives you a chance to do whatever it is you need to do without dealing with the mess, that is, whilst they are out in Ballybrit.

Town is madness at night. But it seems to me that the majority of people stay in places outside of the city centre. The problem is more dispersed later in the night. Also, during Race week there's a lot of drunken, stupid behavior but at least from my own experience, there's not a lot of criminal damage. More self harm than harming others.. Not all, of course but most.

During RAG week. It starts in the morning a few days in the week. The problem is contained in a smaller space. There's been criminal damage in the past, at least. There's also, unfortunately been quite a few deaths or very young people.

When you live in or around the city. It always seemed easier to avoid Race Week crap than RAG week.

They should do what GMIT did a few years ago. Have events by the college campus. Contain the problem on the college\universities own front door. That way the students that want to have fun, can do that and the people that need to live in the city, can be left alone

Advertisement