Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rag Week!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,199 ✭✭✭muppetkiller

Of maybe some people really enjoy it. If you gave me a choice between going on the beer tomorrow morning or choosing something else to do, I'd struggle to come up with something else I'd enjoy as much as going on the tear!

I never said I had an issue with people going on the beer in the morning, My point was I can't understand why anyone would queue up for the Hole in the Wall pub. It's a complete kip.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,151 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Wompa1 wrote: »
    Yeah but the point others are making is that you admitted during college you didn't live in the city and you don't live in the city now. So your opinion hasn't been formed whilst living through RAG week as a resident in the city. I haven't lived in the city in three years. From what I heard, last year wasn't bad and so far this year hasn't been too bad. If this was the norm, I don't think anybody would begrudge RAG week at all. It might even be seen as a positive.

I would guess you've also never lived in the city during Race week, either, eh?

So your opinion again is not based on experience from living in the city during these events. So...you talking about people being dry and all that, means nothing...

Here's my take on RAG week vs Race Week. During Race week, people are out of the city at the track itself for a few hours in the day. You get hit by traffic at certain times but the fact the people aren't around, gives you a chance to do whatever it is you need to do without dealing with the mess, that is, whilst they are out in Ballybrit.

Town is madness at night. But it seems to me that the majority of people stay in places outside of the city centre. The problem is more dispersed later in the night. Also, during Race week there's a lot of drunken, stupid behavior but at least from my own experience, there's not a lot of criminal damage. More self harm than harming others.. Not all, of course but most.

During RAG week. It starts in the morning a few days in the week. The problem is contained in a smaller space. There's been criminal damage in the past, at least. There's also, unfortunately been quite a few deaths or very young people.

When you live in or around the city. It always seemed easier to avoid Race Week crap than RAG week.

They should do what GMIT did a few years ago. Have events by the college campus. Contain the problem on the college\universities own front door. That way the students that want to have fun, can do that and the people that need to live in the city, can be left alone
    Nope, just on Tuesday, from what ive seen, between being in college (currently) and living in the city centre (currently).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Timmyctc

I work in town and past 3 years I can categorically assure you that race week is infinitely worse. We have only ever been forced to close our doors early due to the influx of ill-fitted suit wearing messes that emerge in the evenings of race week. That being said, race week isnt even THAT bad. Just in comparison to RAG week. The students are grand. And for the information of everyone, was in town early this morning and it didn't look like the aftermath of a bombing, despite what some people may have you believe. I've seen many a regular Sunday morning (Aftermath of Saturday nights during the summer) that are much worse than Rag week the past few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,172 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Nope, just on Tuesday, from what ive seen, between being in college (currently) and living in the city centre (currently).

Maybe not any more, it was more than Tuesday in the past. On Mondays they had the foam party on. Even when it wasn't on the Monday, you'd see people walking into town from Curit and Dun na Coiribe with beer in hand.

But as I said, it seems to have calmed down a bit anyhow

• Registered Users Posts: 15,661 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

I live in the city currently and to be honest, you wouldn't know it was RAG week.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Gits_bone

FitzShane wrote: »
    I live in the city currently and to be honest, you wouldn't know it was RAG week.

Plot twist - you're a student absolutely twisted out of his mind.

Gits_bone wrote: »
    Plot twist - you're a student absolutely twisted out of his mind.

:D

I wish! Them days are behind me unfortunately. Currently sitting at the desk in my office :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,199 ✭✭✭muppetkiller

I agree with FitzShane here..I've never experienced a quieter Rag-week.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

You haven't been around long enough so, it used to start on Sunday night with unofficial parties and run to Thursday night.

I can't remember what night the mystery tour used to be on or the RAG ball.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,957 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

I wouldn't quite say that.

Yes, it's the quietest in the seven year's I've been here.

Even so, Monday and Tuesday nights where a lot louder than usual. Monday in my street involved one house party that was among the loudest we've ever heard from that particular place. Thankfully they all headed out to a nightclub at about 11, though I suspect their LL now has some issues with damage to the property. And we chose not to go to the pub I'd have liked to patronise on Tuesday evening, because it would have meant crossing the messiness that was Eyre Square.

And there was definitely a blocked footpath outside HITW on Tuesday morning!

Mr OBumble saw a real gem last night: young man and woman heading back to her place. They got there and she pulled out her keys and opened the door - while he turned around and pee'd in the next doorway. Couldn't even wait to get up one flight of stairs. Classy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭whineflu

Gits_bone wrote: »
    Sounds more like a case of wine flu to me!

Ba doom tish!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Redhairedguy

I suspect their LL now has some issues with damage to the property.

Why only suspect? Did you see stuff being damaged, or are you merely speculating because of the extent of the noise?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,340 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Even so, Monday and Tuesday nights where a lot louder than usual. Monday in my street involved one house party that was among the loudest we've ever heard from that particular place. Thankfully they all headed out to a nightclub at about 11, though I suspect their LL now has some issues with damage to the property. And we chose not to go to the pub I'd have liked to patronise on Tuesday evening, because it would have meant crossing the messiness that was Eyre Square.

Mr OBumble saw a real gem last night: young man and woman heading back to her place. They got there and she pulled out her keys and opened the door - while he turned around and pee'd in the next doorway. Couldn't even wait to get up one flight of stairs. Classy.

In fairness you'd see most of that on any average Saturday night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

And we chose not to go to the pub I'd have liked to patronise on Tuesday evening, because it would have meant crossing the messiness that was Eyre Square.

To be quite honest it really comes across as if you're going very much out of your way to be inconvenienced.

The Gardai themselves said Tuesday night was nothing really out of the ordinary for Galway City.

You'd think from your post that the town resembled eastern Ukraine.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,202 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

I cross the square every morning, it definitely cleaner than it has been in previous years, friends of mine in barwork trade are not complaining as much, and gardai don't seem to be overly busy.. As pointed out previously in thread, the place does usually seem much worse on sunday mornings during summer..

antoobrien wrote: »
    You haven't been around long enough so, it used to start on Sunday night with unofficial parties and run to Thursday night.

I can't remember what night the mystery tour used to be on or the RAG ball.
    Thanks for clearing up how long ive been around, i was missing a few years there alright.
    Im not talking about every year gone by, this is this years rag week thread, discuss the others in another thread maybe but this year there was Donegal Tuesday as an early start, no others. Back to 1999 with you.

Thanks for clearing up how long ive been around, i was missing a few years there alright.
    Im not talking about every year gone by, this is this years rag week thread, discuss the others in another thread maybe but this year there was Donegal Tuesday as an early start, no others. Back to 1999 with you.

I believe your response was in reply to mine. I had stated earlier I haven't lived in the city for 3 years and was comparing RAG week to Race Week from when I lived there....

3 years ago there was a Foam Party on Monday in the GPO. Tuesday morning was Donegal day but only my last year there, it wasn't a thing before then. Wednesday was GMITs Mock concert thing (They had a joined RAG week that year and Novena was on), from what I remember. Then Thursday the majority of the students hopped on their bus home outside the cathedral to get their laundry done and dinners pre-packed for the following week :pac:

I'm happy to hear things have calmed down but I don't think the outrage in regards to RAG week is based on this year or even last year. It's a hard earnerd cynicism from years gone past. Hopefully things stay the course and maybe in the future RAG week will be seen as a positive again.

When I was a kid growing up, even outside of the city, I knew RAG week was on because students would be washing windows for money for charity and the like...it was a positive in the past

I believe your response was in reply to mine. I had stated earlier I haven't lived in the city for 3 years and was comparing RAG week to Race Week from when I lived there....

3 years ago there was a Foam Party on Monday in the GPO. Tuesday morning was Donegal day but only my last year there, it wasn't a thing before then. Wednesday was GMITs Mock concert thing (They had a joined RAG week that year and Novena was on), from what I remember. Then Thursday the majority of the students hopped on their bus home outside the cathedral to get their laundry done and dinners pre-packed for the following week :pac:

I'm happy to hear things have calmed down but I don't think the outrage in regards to RAG week is based on this year or even last year. It's a hard earnerd cynicism from years gone past. Hopefully things stay the course and maybe in the future RAG week will be seen as a positive again.

When I was a kid growing up, even outside of the city, I knew RAG week was on because students would be washing windows for money for charity and the like...it was a positive in the past
    Yep mine was a reply to your post stating "it starts" in the mornings, it doesnt now, bar one day a week, it did years ago but not for a long while now, the last foam party i remember was at least 6 years ago.

Yep mine was a reply to your post stating "it starts" in the mornings, it doesnt now, bar one day a week, it did years ago but not for a long while now, the last foam party i remember was at least 6 years ago.

Fair enough. It's possible I'm wrong on that one then. My memory hasn't been the best lately!

It's good that it's not starting early every day then. It'll help improve it's reputation

I'm pretty sure noise pollution act pertains to excessive noise after the hours of 11pm and before 7am. So not a huge amount to complain about re: a house party that ended at 11pm.

You didn't cross Eyre square due to your own volition and nothing else tbh. RAG week hasn't a tap on Race week, or even an ordinary Saturday night during the summer for that matter, with regards crowds. Public urination happens every weekend of the year. Believe you me.

I dunno if you're complaining about a blocked footpath in front of HITW, but there was a perfectly good one on the opposite side of the street for any concerned citizens.

• Advertisement

Timmyctc wrote: »
    I dunno if you're complaining about a blocked footpath in front of HITW, but there was a perfectly good one on the opposite side of the street for any concerned citizens.

Woah, Woah, Woah!! Don't get carried away. The paths down by the HITW have never been perfectly good :pac:

Woah, Woah, Woah!! Don't get carried away. The paths down by the HITW have never been perfectly good :pac:

"Perfectly good" is a relative term :pac: Galway has never been famed for her top quality pedestrian walking areas :p

So are we all in agreemenet that the only bit of "hassle" out of the ordinary this week was that some people stepped off the footpath while forming a queue into a pub? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 25,957 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Timmyctc wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure noise pollution act pertains to excessive noise after the hours of 11pm and before 7am. So not a huge amount to complain about re: a house party that ended at 11pm.

You didn't cross Eyre square due to your own volition and nothing else tbh. RAG week hasn't a tap on Race week, or even an ordinary Saturday night during the summer for that matter, with regards crowds. Public urination happens every weekend of the year. Believe you me.

You're a tad defensive there.

House parties aren't usually accompanied by demolition sounds, no matter what time of the day.

I'll remember you when I'm crossing Eyre Square next Tuesday night.

And while public urination is surprisingly frequent here - most people manage to refrain if there's an accessible toilet just one flight of stairs away.

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭crusier

House parties aren't usually accompanied by demolition sounds, no matter what time of the day.

And while public urination is surprisingly frequent here - most people manage to refrain if there's an accessible toilet just one flight of stairs away.

Most people think flights of stairs are toilets!

Rigghhtttttt

So are we all in agreemenet that the only bit of "hassle" out of the ordinary this week was that some people stepped off the footpath while forming a queue into a pub? :pac:

Not living there but it sounds like it wasn't bad...also not purposely coming out with a downer to refute your point since it's not really a 'hassle' BUT there's a young lad missing who travelled up to Galway for RAG week. It's not the first time this has happened during RAG week either.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

BUT there's a young lad missing who travelled up to Galway for RAG week. It's not the first time this has happened during RAG week either.

It's not the first time it's happened this year, let alone on a RAG week.

Lets all hope that he is found safe and well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

antoobrien wrote: »
    It's not the first time it's happened this year, let alone on a RAG week.

Lets all hope that he is found safe and well.

Second time this month even.

If it wasnt for this thread rag week would have passed without notice for me.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Who was the spoofer that called Joe Duffy today? Talked about his driveway being covered in bottles and cans this morning. "It's a disgrace Joe"
    He got cut off.

Advertisement