Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rag Week!

Options
123457»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 247 ✭✭happysunnydays

I was in Galway this week, I saw this thread and didn't even know of a rag week was on! I saw nothing...absolutely nothing to indicate this!
    It seems to be now that I think some vintage type locals are more guilty of the sh*t stir, whip up the storm, enjoy the controversy and get their firey head in a frenzy type rage until it blows to the moon 'Isn't it frikken terrible Joe?' ....then the students are guilty of excessive all day drinking with anti social behaviour....it didn't happen!
    The rag week is in your head old boy! ...do some brain exercises and get it back in order.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,482 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

The kids can't party like they used to.

Rag week lite

• Registered Users Posts: 8,172 ✭✭✭Wompa1

I was in Galway this week, I saw this thread and didn't even know of a rag week was on! I saw nothing...absolutely nothing to indicate this!
    It seems to be now that I think some vintage type locals are more guilty of the sh*t stir, whip up the storm, enjoy the controversy and get their firey head in a frenzy type rage until it blows to the moon 'Isn't it frikken terrible Joe?' ....then the students are guilty of excessive all day drinking with anti social behaviour....it didn't happen!
    The rag week is in your head old boy! ...do some brain exercises and get it back in order.

Drunk students slammed into her side, Chief. We was comin’ back from the island of Inishmor to Knocknacarra. We’d just delivered a bomb. The Hiroshima bomb. Eleven hundred men went into the town. Sh1t went down in 12 minutes.

Didn’t see the first student for about a half-hour. Hipster. 5-footer. You know how you know that in a sea of wasters, Chief? You can tell by lookin’ from the spiked up hair to the tattered looking trainers. What we didn’t know, was that our bomb mission was so secret, no distress signal HAD BEEN SENT. They didn’t even list us overdue for a week. Very first light, Chief, students come cruisin’ by, so we formed ourselves into tight groups. It was sorta like you see in the calendars, you know the infantry squares in the old calendars like the Battle of Waterloo and the idea was the students come to the nearest man, that man he starts poundin’ and hollerin’ and sometimes that student, he go away… but sometimes he wouldn’t go away.

Sometimes that student looks right at ya. Right into your eyes. And the thing about a drunk student is he’s got lifeless eyes. Black eyes. Like a doll’s eyes. When he comes at ya, he doesn’t even seem to be livin’… ’til he fall over drunk in front of ya, and those black eyes roll over white and then… ah then you hear that terrible high-pitched screamin’. The path turns yellow and chunky, and despite all your poundin’ and your hollerin’ those students come in and… they rip the place to pieces.

You know by the end of that first dawn, lost a hundred men. I don’t know how many students there were, maybe a thousand. I do know how many men, they averaged six an hour. Thursday mornin’, Chief, I bumped into a friend of mine, Tommy Joyce from Annaghdown. Football player. I thought he was asleep. I reached over to wake him up. He bobbed up, down in place, he was like a kinda top. Upended. Well, he’d been bitten in half below the waist.

At noon on the fifth day, a Lockheed Ventura swung in low and he spotted us, a young pilot, lot younger than Mr. Hooper here, anyway he spotted us and a few hours later a big ol’ fat PBY come down and started to pick us up. You know that was the time I was most frightened. Waitin’ for my turn. I’ll never go into town during RAG week again. So, eleven hundred men went into the city that day. 316 men come out, the students took the rest, February the 15th, 2015.

Anyway, we delivered the bomb.”

• Closed Accounts Posts: 247 ✭✭happysunnydays

Wompa1 wrote: »
    You're a poet and a comedian all rolled into one my friend, I could read all day as laughing is my main occupation even though its off on some strange surreal Dali type trip..... may the sun always shine brightly on your life.
    Have yerself a free happy sunny day!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,957 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

A RAG week link, made by the Indo: http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/body-of-student-who-went-missing-at-galway-rag-week-is-found-31011886.html

(It's in the paper, so it must be true!)

• Advertisement

A RAG week link, made by the Indo: http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/body-of-student-who-went-missing-at-galway-rag-week-is-found-31011886.html

(It's in the paper, so it must be true!)

They didn't exactly lay blame on RAG week just said he was in Galway for RAG week which seemed to be true by all accounts. It's unfortunate, it could happen any time of year but also seems to have happened a few times during RAG week

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Wompa1 wrote: »
    They didn't exactly lay blame on RAG week just said he was in Galway for RAG week which seemed to be true by all accounts. It's unfortunate, it could happen any time of year but also seems to have happened a few times during RAG week

Was it not called Donegal Day, the Uni have banned rag week so it's wrong to call it rag week

• Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭Intifada

Storm 10 wrote: »
    Was it not called Donegal Day, the Uni have banned rag week so it's wrong to call it rag week

The uni haven't banned Rag Week, they just ceased to organise all the lame little events they used to put on for it.

Storm 10 wrote: »

We all know what it really is. I don't know if there was any organization on Facebook like the last couple of years but they were still using the name of RAG week

Advertisement