Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

iPhone 5 Battery replacement

• 16-02-2015 1:59pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,320 ✭✭✭

How much to Apple charge for an out of warranty battery replacement. I have ordered a replacement battery myself and might attempt it myself but don't know how much Apple charge to do it themselves.

If it is a reasonable price I might consider sending it in. How difficult is it to change yourself, I've looked at a few videos and it doesn't seem so hard but would like some feedback from boardies who have don't it themselves.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,497 ✭✭✭✭guil

It's not hard to do but be very careful when you try pry the old battery out. Do it in the wrong place and you could damage the logic board.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,320 ✭✭✭davo2001

Yeah, I've seen that, slow and steady :-P The phone is technically working, just the battery lasts 3-4 hours with barely any use.
    Any idea how much apple charge? Would it be worth getting a heat gun to loosen the adhesive behind the battery to make it easier to remove?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭flexcon

davo2001 wrote: »
    Yeah, I've seen that, slow and steady :-P The phone is technically working, just the battery lasts 3-4 hours with barely any use.
    Any idea how much apple charge? Would it be worth getting a heat gun to loosen the adhesive behind the battery to make it easier to remove?

Have you given this a go?

https://www.apple.com/ie/support/iphone5-battery/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

About €80 from Apple. They don't replace your battery, they just send a refurb phone.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 81 ✭✭jay2k6ie

davo2001 wrote: »
    How much to Apple charge for an out of warranty battery replacement. I have ordered a replacement battery myself and might attempt it myself but don't know how much Apple charge to do it themselves.

If it is a reasonable price I might consider sending it in. How difficult is it to change yourself, I've looked at a few videos and it doesn't seem so hard but would like some feedback from boardies who have don't it themselves.

I wouldn't bother going through Apple anymore as its not worth sending your phone away and paying way over the odds for a battery that many local repair centres can do for half the price or less on the spot.

I've had my iPhone 5 battery replaced in Dublin by a repair centre for €40 and it still works a treat after 8 months. I've recommended the place to many people and havent had anyone say a bad word so if you'd like a recommendation let me know and I'll PM you.

As mentioned if you attempt the repair yourself you may damage the logic boards U3 chip (really common during iPhone 5 battery replacement) and this repair will cost €80 and upwards if you can find a place to do it!

• Advertisement
Advertisement