Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tips/advice on getting from Tullyvale/Cherrywood to Citywest?

Options
  • 16-02-2015 2:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭

Does anyone have any tips or suggestions for getting to Citywest from Cherrywood/Tullyvale?

I've tried various combinations and not found a reliable, repeatable route that doesnt involve a taxi at some part of the journey. Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Edit: Just noticed the typo in the title. Apologies.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

I presume you checked out the Luas from Cherrywood to City Centre, Walk to Abbey Street and get the Luas to Citywest?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

RosieJoe wrote: »
    I presume you checked out the Luas from Cherrywood to City Centre, Walk to Abbey Street and get the Luas to Citywest?

That is the most reliable route but that takes about 2 hours and twenty minutes. I was hoping for a shorter journey time. Although this mornings experience with Dublin Bus may have turned me into a Luas Lover.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,719 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

Really there are only two realistic options:

1) Green Line LUAS to St Stephen's Green, walk to Jervis, Red Line LUAS to Citywest;
    2) Green Line LUAS to Dundrum; 75 bus to Tallaght; 77a bus to Citywest

Use www.a-b.ie or the National Journey Planner app for smartphones to plan your trip.

Unfortunately orbital trips like this are not easily done on public transport.

Another option to get to the City Centre is the 145 from the N11. It's mostly QBC in. And you can get that as far as Hueston Station to link up with the Luas to Ciywest.

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭Awaaf

Not sure if it's up to date but hittheroad-dot-ie (I haven't enough posts to embedURL's) gives me a luas and bus option at 1hr40mins. I don't know the route but from the map it would look like there is scope to shave a bit off the timings by changing where the routes intersect at Harcourt St or even a bit further out if you feel energetic enough.

• Advertisement

Awaaf wrote: »
    Not sure if it's up to date but hittheroad-dot-ie (I haven't enough posts to embedURL's) gives me a luas and bus option at 1hr40mins. I don't know the route but from the map it would look like there is scope to shave a bit off the timings by changing where the routes intersect at Harcourt St or even a bit further out if you feel energetic enough.

I believe that is getting the Luas to Harcourt Street, walking around the corner to Camden Street and getting the 65b. That would be perfect as the 65b drops right out in front of my office. The only problem is the 65b goes once an hour, so if I miss it, I've had it. I would then have to get back on the Luas and continue to St Stephens Green.

This is what I did this morning and I think its the only way really. It cuts out many of the usual Dublin Bus annoyances, plus it took about 1 hour 45 minutes travel time including the walk.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭100gSoma

Travel Cherrywood to Citywest route each day. Gave up on the public transport option for the same reasons you cite. reliability, and time. Even the luas stopped at dundrum during the snows of recent years. Car takes me about 35 minutes each way now. (leaving before 745am and coming back at 5pm to avoid peak traffic).

100gSoma wrote: »
    Travel Cherrywood to Citywest route each day. Gave up on the public transport option for the same reasons you cite. reliability, and time. Even the luas stopped at dundrum during the snows of recent years. Car takes me about 35 minutes each way now. (leaving before 745am and coming back at 5pm to avoid peak traffic).

Been doing the Luas every day for the last couple of days and its ok. I manage to catnap for most of it so it doesnt feel as much like 2 hours, but leaving work at 6, getting home for 8, getting into bed for 10.30 to get up around 6, to leave the house at 7 to get to work for 9 is starting to drain me. Im getting enough sleep just not enough 'me' time. I am comforted by the fact that I am not permanently in citywest. I could be sent to Leopardstown for a week next week. In the evenings when I'll be based nearby, it will be a good incentive to start studying the driving theory material.

Left the house today at 7.20 got to citywest at 9.10. I was tired so did the lazy option of getting the 46a between Stephens Green and O'Connell Street, which takes about the same length of time as walking it.

syklops wrote: »
    Been doing the Luas every day for the last couple of days and its ok. I manage to catnap for most of it so it doesnt feel as much like 2 hours, but leaving work at 6, getting home for 8, getting into bed for 10.30 to get up around 6, to leave the house at 7 to get to work for 9 is starting to drain me. Im getting enough sleep just not enough 'me' time. I am comforted by the fact that I am not permanently in citywest. I could be sent to Leopardstown for a week next week. In the evenings when I'll be based nearby, it will be a good incentive to start studying the driving theory material.

Left the house today at 7.20 got to citywest at 9.10. I was tired so did the lazy option of getting the 46a between Stephens Green and O'Connell Street, which takes about the same length of time as walking it.

For your A License ;)

For your A License ;)

Had to google that. No, the B license.

• Advertisement

Had to google that. No, the B license.

I was only messing but the commute on a bike would be so much quicker :D

I was only messing but the commute on a bike would be so much quicker :D

The commute on anything allowed on the M50 would be so much quicker.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,383 ✭✭✭RebelButtMunch

The commute on anything allowed on the M50 would be so much quicker.

Moped via ballinteer and knocklyon?

Moped via ballinteer and knocklyon?

Would getting a moped license take less time than getting a driving license?

No, probably takes a bit more time and cost.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,658 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

cycling an option? i did it for a while and then out to Blanch.

Will keep/get you fit. you can start with a couple of days a week.

Dundrum-Churchtown-Templogue-Tallaght- Citywest

Advertisement