Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

In a (cat) flap

• 16-02-2015 2:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭

Hi All,

First time poster, but long time lurker here. I bit the bullet and joined up as I really need some boardsie advice :( I have two cats and two dogs, who are the light of my life. They are indoor animals and are spoiled rotten (like most of the babies belonging to the posters in this forum!).

We are going on holidays on Friday and I am leaving the dogs with their breeder, which is what we normally do, as she loves to see them and its like a home from home scenario for them. However, I am worried sick about my cats. We normally leave them in a cat hotel, even though Sophie (cat no 1) hates travelling in the car, new people, new cats, etc. Jersey (cat no 2) is a social butterfly and adores new people, cats etc but not the car. It stresses us all out no end when they need to be transported anywhere! The last time they stayed in the cat hotel, both of them came back sick and due to that and a few other things, my husband and I decided that we would get a pet sitter this time for the cats.

We've already met him and he has met the girls and everything is fine there, apart from anxious mama here, who is panicking about leaving them for so long on their own (one week). The pet sitter will come in once a day for 30 mins to play with them, clean their litter boxes, top us their food/water feeders and make sure the house is warm enough for them. He also said that if he is in the neighbourhood he will drop in (on top of the 30 mins) and see how they are. He has said he will call us every day and send us photos so we can see how they are doing.

I guess I am just worried about leaving them up to their own devices for so long. Myself and my husband both work full-time (have a dog walker for the dogs during the day, so dont worry doggy lovers!) so I suppose the only major difference is that they wont have the snuggles in the evening with us. Guys, as you can see from this rambling post, I am all over the place wondering if I have made the right decision! I would really appreciate it if any boardies out there who have used pet-sitters before for their cats could let me know how they got on? Or if you think cats prefer to be in their own environment as opposed to a cat hotel, even if they wont have as much human interaction as normal?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

Hi chanelfreak,

I know how you feel, I never like leaving our cats either.
    We only rarely go away for any longer period of time (more than 2 days), but we've made very good experiences with pet sitters.
    Our cats are indoors/outdoors cats, but for the time we're gone they'd become indoors only. The pet sitters we had would come twice a day for 20 minutes each time (usually morning and evening), feed them, clean litter, make sure everything is ok and give them cuddles (if the cats want any - ours are all very shy around strangers).

We've always come home to happy, content cats who only missed their outdoors adventures a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭chanelfreak

Hi Shenshen,

Thanks for taking the time to reply to me :) and thanks for letting me know how your guys get on, its certainly a relief to hear a positive story. I guess I am just worried that 6 and a half days is a long time to be leaving them with just the sitter. And I suppose I am also worried that they might think we've abandoned them or something. I really am the definition of a crazy cat lady, but they are my babies so I just want the best for them. Thanks again though :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,326 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

We've left our cats at home every time we have the option inc. foster cats and we've sat in for others in the same situation. In general I think most cats prefer their common surroundings over some place new (the general rule being 8 weeks to settle in etc.) and while they lack their human slaves (and will complain loudly about it for a day or two once you come back and follow you everywhere!) the overall stress level is less from doing so.

In our case two of our own cats will refuse to be seen by the people visiting (people who've been there before that they know but they tend to be shy normally) while our social butterfly will be demanding cuddles from day 1.

Thanks Nody - your comment about the human slaves part is very true :) I hope it will be less stressful on them, as poor Sophie absolutely hates anything new and it takes her a while to calm down, the poor thing. Saying that, she seemed to warm to the pet-sitter and jumped up on the couch beside him and purred away quite contentedly (which she NEVER does with new people).

I'm sure they will be fine, I'm just an awful worrier when it comes to them! We rescued them from France, a colleague of mine came in one day and told me his neighbour was going to drown kittens (!!!) and could I take two. Naturally, I said yes of course and even though himself was very anti-cat, plus quite allergic, he now absolutely adores both of them :) Sorry for going off topic there with that story.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭KatyMac

I've cat sat for neighbours and the cat would be looking at me from under the sofa, chair, on top of shelves!! I'd go in morning and evening to feed, clean and make sure all was well. No bother and the cat was a lot happier than if she was dragged away from home. Go and enjoy your holiday and be ready to sit and make a big fuss of your ladies when you get back - absence really does make the heart grow fond!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

You are obviously a brainwashed pet owner :) (I admit I am too)
    Think about it: your animals are going to be in their own home and the environment they are familiar with.
    So they wont see you in the evenings and mornings b4 u go to work.
    I think weighing up the pros and cons, given that they dont travel well, you couldnt have a better solution. How lucky are you to have someone responsible to come in to tend to their needs every day. The week will fly. The cats will be fine - lucky them to stay home in their comfy home, fed and watered. Have a GREAT holiday - go and count your blessings that you have happy well taken care of animals :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

Can I just say, you are a dream pet owner :P

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

HEre's a mad idea that might just help op :)
    Now, before I start, dogs are my thing, but I don't see why this doesn't apply to cats too!
    Smell is really important to dogs and cats. The smell of their owners is very comforting to them. The problem with being away for a few days is that your smell gets weaker and weaker as time goes on.
    Now, this may not cause a problem, but I would think that refreshing your scent every day would help prevent anxiety about your absence.
    How to do this? You know those vacuumy space-saver bags, where you put stuff in and suck all the excess air out with a hoover? If you wear several t-shirts in bed over the coming nights, then when you get up, seal them in a bag, preferably one bag per t-shirt.
    Your pet-sitter hopefully won't mind opening a bag each day and leaving the t-shirt (or something else you've got your scent all over) in the cat's main living area. Fresh owner smell, sorted!
    It may also help if you crank up a feliway diffuser in their living space. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

I know our 4 cats would freak out if we put them in a cattery/cat hotel. They all hate the car and fortunately we have a relative who cat sits for us when we're away. I think a pet sitter is a better option, at least for our cats. A lot of pet sitters will also walk dogs too.

Guys, thank you all so, so much for your great advice - I really appreciate it! Sorry I never got back on yesterday, I spent the evening trying to wrestle Jersey down from our attic (she loves going up there to hunt spiders/dust/imaginary monsters and she flew up past me when I was trying to get our suitcases down - she really is a nutter of a cat!) and then my shihtzu decided to pass out on my knee, and sure you know that they can't be disturbed under pain of death when they do that ;)

DBB - that is a marvellous idea about the tshirts in the vac bags! I will definitely do this, I'm sure the pet sitter won't mind as he already thinks I'm a bit mad in the head haha so another random request won't faze him.

ShaShaBear - thank you so much :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭morgana

Our lot (three of them, indoor /outdoor) are looked after by a friend when we go away. Last time was a week and it went without any problems at all. Kitties were first a bit reserved with her got quickly used to the new Routine! In fairness, my friend stays in the house over the weekend but said the cats do their own thing and ignored her mostly.
    Leaving looked after at home is the best thing you can do for them. They will be just fine. They might not talk to you for a while after you are back or. Like ours, they just will get on with a oh hi you are back where is my food? ☺

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭MrWalsh

I feel guilty now, Im putting our latest rescue into a cattery for 4 days at the end of the month rather than leave her home alone with someone just dropping in twice a day. She is so sociable, she loves company, I thought itd be too hard on her to stay home alone. She doesnt have any outdoor life yet so I thought itd be like prison for her, whereas in the cattery she will be played with at least twice in the day and have some company most of the day also. She doesnt like the car either but its a short trip.

MrWalsh, please don't feel guilty. I have always left mine in a cattery and the only reason why I changed this time was because it was really stressing Sophie out (the travel and the new people/cats). I have two indoor cats, so they are company for each other but if I had only one I really think I would be more inclined to leave her in a cat hotel while I was away. I think you are doing the right thing in your case, as she will have people (and other cats?) to play with while you are away and like you said, she might get stressed if she was on her own for the majority of the day. I'm sure she will probably give you a hard time for a few days when you get back - like mine will! But I really would do the same thing as you if I had just one cat.

MrWalsh, please don't feel guilty. I have always left mine in a cattery and the only reason why I changed this time was because it was really stressing Sophie out (the travel and the new people/cats). I have two indoor cats, so they are company for each other but if I had only one I really think I would be more inclined to leave her in a cat hotel while I was away. I think you are doing the right thing in your case, as she will have people (and other cats?) to play with while you are away and like you said, she might get stressed if she was on her own for the majority of the day. I'm sure she will probably give you a hard time for a few days when you get back - like mine will! But I really would do the same thing as you if I had just one cat.

Thanks chanelfreak, its also because she is not with us very long yet and I wouldnt like her thinking she has been abandoned, she had a tough life up until we go hold of her before Christmas, so we just want to do whats best for her. The cattery is in the vets we use and she was totally fine with them for a couple of days after we initially rescued her and got her neutered. At least its only 4 days so I can use it to gauge what to do in the future. A neighbour did offer but I just felt for the poor scrap knowing she even finds it hard when we are in work all day.

We actually do have another cat but they are only in the process of introduction at the moment and the other cat has full independence, a cat flap, neighbours who she visits etc.... She is staying home and being minded by neighbours.

Oh the little pet! Could I maybe make a suggestion - or echo a suggestion made by DBB above? I think you should leave some item of clothing with her that smells of you & your house and that she can cuddle up to while you are away. I know my two used to FREAK out at the smell of the vet's place - so much so that you would hear them yowling and howling and giving out for miles. So it might be a good idea to leave a few tshirts or jumpers with her and that will hopefully comfort her while you are away. I will be eternally grateful to DBB for that tip I can tell you.

Yeah thats a really good idea, she loves to steal our fleecy scarves and have catnaps on them so I think Ill send my current scarf with her, plus her some of her own bits and pieces. Im not sure how much I can send with her, but Id like if she could have her own bed with her too.

• Site Banned Posts: 824 ✭✭✭Shiraz 4.99

We've 2 cats but just leave it to our neighbours kids once we go abroad for 2 weeks at a time. They put the food in a playhouse out the back which has old cushions which they favoured from the house. Although they let us know they missed us when we return they are cats & independent in comparison to dogs.

Obviously we are not as caring as other posters on here but they are not fawned over either so they may not expect the 5 star treatment.

My cat gets sick if i go away for a weekend, thats just how they are. But cats are survivors, they can get over things quickly. They should be fine with that situation.

Hi guys,

Just wanted to give you an update on how the cat-sitting went :) We got back today to two very happy, chilled out kitties who seem to have had a great time in their free gaff ;) The pet sitter sent us emails & photos & videos of them every day & they honestly seem much happier than when we used to collect them from the cat hotel. Jersey is snuggled up on me purring her head off & Sophie is stuck to the shihtzu (obviously missed her doggie sister!) so all is well. I would totally recommend pet-sitting, it really seems to have worked well with our girls. Thanks everyone for your advice, it was greatly appreciated.

Thought Id give an update on the cattery.

It was for 4 nights and I phoned twice and they assured me she was fine, not stressed at all. When I brought her in I went down and settled her into her "pod". When I collected her a person brought her out to me in her cat box and I thought she seemed a little stressed (but that can be from going into the cat box). She hates the car so when we got home she was definitely a bit stressed but very very glad to be home and there was a LOT of purring, face rubbing, pushing against me. She seemed grand within 24 hours, although her toileting habits were a little out of routine.

One funny thing is though, she is way more vocal since the cattery!! She never used to miaow loudly at me for attention and now she does - so she must have learned bad habits from the other cats :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement