Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BOOTING WINDOWS ON A NEW PC

Options
  • 16-02-2015 2:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 48

Hi,
    I have got an usb bootable device with windows 7 Ultimate on it. (flashdrive)
    I used wintobootic to create it.
    I want to load that Windows 7 to my newly purchased PC.
    I have read on the internet that before you boot windows from usb or DVD you have to go to bios to change the boot order.
    Do i have to do it when i want to load W7 on my new computer or do you change the boot order only when you want to reinstall windows on you computer which has some other version of windows installed?
    Sorry Im completely new in this :(
    when i buy a new PC without the windows installed on it what happens when i turn it on?
    Is there only a black screen?
    Is BIOS already installed on it?
    and do i have to change the boot order do i just plug in the usb flashdrive, turn on the PC and it will just work?
    IM SORRY I ACCIDENTLY POSTED TWICE THE SAME THREAD :(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭justjustin

Tomaspol wrote: »
    Hi,
    I have got an usb bootable device with windows 7 Ultimate on it. (flashdrive)
    I used wintobootic to create it.
    I want to load that Windows 7 to my newly purchased PC.
    I have read on the internet that before you boot windows from usb or DVD you have to go to bios to change the boot order.
    Do i have to do it when i want to load W7 on my new computer or do you change the boot order only when you want to reinstall windows on you computer which has some other version of windows installed?
    Sorry Im completely new in this :(
    when i buy a new PC without the windows installed on it what happens when i turn it on?
    Is there only a black screen?
    Is BIOS already installed on it?
    and do i have to change the boot order do i just plug in the usb flashdrive, turn on the PC and it will just work?

BY default, the computer will try to boot from a HDD/SSD connected to the lowest numbered SATA port on the board, at least in my experience that's how most boards are set.

To install from CD/DVD/USB you need to change this. This can usually be done in one of two ways:

Temporarily(per boot cycle): During the POST, most boards allow you to press a set button (F-something usually) to bring up a Boot Order screen, where you can then select to boot from any devices attached to your computer. The next time you boot your computer, the setting will have reverted to normal or default - this is the ideal method for installing your OS.

Persistent: You can also set this in the BIOS itself, although you have no real need to do this. This method is persistent, meaning that you will need to enter the BIOS and change the setting back any time you want to use a different boot device, if that makes sense.

If you don't see the shortcut buttons mentioned on the POST screen, check your motherboards manual for this information.

To answer your question, to install Windows, first boot the machine making sure that the destination and USB drives are both plugged in. Power it up and use the Boot Order menu to select to use the USB flash drive for this boot. The Windows setup will now begin, proceed and select your destination drive... The rest is fairly straightforward.

p.s. BIOS comes installed on the board when you purchase, otherwise it would not be able to do anything, it's like a small operating system for the motherboard essentially.

If you buy a new computer without Windows on it but with a HDD installed, you would most likely get a message stating that no operating system could be found.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Tomaspol

Thanks.
    Im gonna do this tomorrow when my new PC arrives.
    I presume that the boot order menu shortcut will be F2.
    justjustin wrote: »
    to install Windows, first boot the machine making sure that the destination and USB drives are both plugged in. Power it up and use the Boot Order menu to select to use the USB flash drive for this boot. The Windows setup will now begin, proceed and select your destination drive... The rest is fairly straightforward..

After when I set up the boot order should i save it and then restart the computer?
    I thought when i set up the boot order it will work with the next computer startup.

I have one more question.
    I want to install Windows 7 on my SSD.
    Should i create partition on SSD before installing it or just install it on SSD without creating partition?
    Some people create partition.
    What do you need the partition for?

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭justjustin

Thanks.
    Im gonna do this tomorrow when my new PC arrives.
    I presume that the boot order menu shortcut will be F2.

This depends on your board. What board do you have?

After when I set up the boot order should i save it and then restart the computer?
    I thought when i set up the boot order it will work with the next computer startup.

As I said earlier, you have two options, one will not need to be saved and will work only for the next boot - the other you can save and the machine will always boot that way until you change it back...
    I have one more question.
    I want to install Windows 7 on my SSD.
    Should i create partition on SSD before installing it or just install it on SSD without creating partition?
    Some people create partition.
    What do you need the partition for?

Windows will create that automatically for you, just proceed with the installation and select the SSD as the destination.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,009 ✭✭✭Wossack

set and save the boot order somewhat like;

cd/dvdrom
    USB
    SSD

getting into bios may be f2, often is 'del'

you dont need to manually create partitions - its just for space management imo. You can more easily wipe and reinstall windows etc if its partitioned away from your files too. How likely you are to do this is your call

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Tomaspol

justjustin wrote: »
    This depends on your board. What board do you have?

As I said earlier, you have two options, one will not need to be saved and will work only for the next boot

So that means that i have to restart the computer after when i change the boot order yes?

My motherboard is Asus H 97M-E.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,298 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

So that means that i have to restart the computer after when i change the boot order yes?

My motherboard is Asus H 97M-E.

Once you go into the BIOS and change the boot order, then exit the BIOS, the computer will restart automatically. Just keep an eye on the BIOS screen though, because often there's a hot key to press to boot to another device temporarily. Often F12 or F11.

Advertisement