Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Preston vs Manchester United Match Thread 16/2/15 k/o 19.45 BBC

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,889 ✭✭✭✭The Moldy Gowl

Ah the giant killers make the Fa cup in fairness easy game for arsenal next round

Wait. How did the last arsenal and utd game go?

I can't remember

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

Phil Neville is defending Rooney better than Johnnie Cochran ever could.

He had to get out of the way!!!

Seems his defending has improved since he retired!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Timmyctc

I can't remember

UNITED WON SO THEY DID YES THEY DID SIR YES SIR

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

Arsenal don't stand a chance against this team

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Quazzie wrote: »
    Only because they scored a goal that should've been disallowed for offside. Poor refereeing won ye the game.
    Nothing else

Nope. Impartial as they come. I don't follow any English team. United were 2-1 up with less than 5 minutes to go at the point in time. The penalty wasn't the difference. I do believe it was a dive though.

2nd goal was acceptable in my opinion. Rooney didn't touch the ball nor did he completely obstruct his view.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭jacool

Timmyctc wrote: »
    Its gas how the non united fans still cling to the fact that Rooney was "offside" when Simon Grayson even admitted he wasn't. But sure. Ye all know better I'm sure :pac:
    Technically, he was offside. So yes, I know better than Simon G.
    However he would only have been committing an offence if he put off the keeper.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,363 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

The BBC coverage here is embarrassing.

Phil Neville doing everything in his power not to call Rooney's dive a dive.

Just call it a dive. Most players do it. He got away with it. Get on with it.

Pretending he was saving himself from a leg break is just insulting.

Utd deserved to win, though they weren't great at all. Preston offered nothing really and should've been down to 10.

The Arsenal QF will be fascinating.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

VG speaking double dutch

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

I really enjoy Van Gaals interviews

They are all over the place, some great words in there as well

• Closed Accounts Posts: 812 ✭✭✭Dog of Tears

Usual awful performance from Utd.

Great for football that they will be knocked out in the next round.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭NabyLadistheman

Phil Neville, nearly as biased as his brother!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

jacool wrote: »

Being in an offside position and being offside are different things. The rules are silly maybe if this happens to England FIFA will look at it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

It's hard to see any team stopping us with Marouanaldo in this kind of form

Phil Neville and Hodgson embarressing themselves.

Neville "He had to get out of the way"

Hodgson "He was just taking evasive action"

Kilbane looked bemused !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,889 ✭✭✭✭The Moldy Gowl

Timmyctc wrote: »
    UNITED WON SO THEY DID YES THEY DID SIR YES SIR

Sit down timmy.

Don't be telling lies

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,507 ✭✭✭Underground

It's hilarious how juvenile things get in these match threads.

Bizarre, but hilarious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,660 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Any minute now United will start to look like United...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Timmyctc

MagicIRL wrote: »
    hqdefault.jpg

:)

Whoops

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭MythicalMadMan

I can't remember

My post was sarcastic... ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

They won't though...Arsenal bottle it against United, and Mertesacker won't be able to deal with hoofball.

Yeah Arsenal have a mental block when it comes to Utd. Can see them winning

jacool wrote: »

You do know there has been a new offside rule brought in since the 1890s?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,661 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

Turtyturd wrote: »
    They won't though...Arsenal bottle it against United, and Mertesacker won't be able to deal with hoofball.

He's actually much better at dealing with hoofball than he is with pacey players coming at him and getting in behind him.

https://vine.co/v/OxmgaB76MiT

Taking evasive action

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Phil Neville and Hodgson embarressing themselves.

Neville "He had to get out of the way"

Hodgson "He was just taking evasive action"

Kilbane looked bemused !

Whats Hodgson meant to do Ive no idea why he would take up the offer on being on the panel he cant call his players cheats or divers it'd create bad feelings in the camp. No manager should be analysising his own players but if they are they cant critisise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭jacool

You do know there has been a new offside rule brought in since the 1890s?
    Yeah, my bad. Should have included the word "position".

What Hodgson meant to do Ive no idea why he would take up the offer on being on the panel he cant call his players cheats or divers it'd create bad feelings in the camp. No manager should be analysising his own players but if they are they cant critisise.

I think managers are on tv too much these days anyway. Sean Dyche on Goals on Sunday for example being asked about Danny Ings' situation and what he should or shouldn't do. Surely that kind of talk should be kept behind closed doors.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭shadowcomplex

I know it doesn't bare thinking of but is it in the stars for Stevie G to beat United at Wembley to win the FA Cup in his last game for Liverpool

• Advertisement

I think managers are on tv too much these days anyway. Sean Dyche on Goals on Sunday for example being asked about Danny Ings' situation and what he should or shouldn't do. Surely that kind of talk should be kept behind closed doors.

Ya I totally agree managers are asked hard enough questions in interviews these days and no matter what they say at least 20% of fans will disagree with them. I cant really see the win especially when he is being asked tough (in football terms) questions

I think footballers and managers alike are on TV too often these days tbh.

The post match interviews subject us to the same old tripe week after week after week. Players are trained by their clubs on how to speak to the media, what we are left with are sanitised token gestures in the form of answers to a few questions. Players talking about how"the three points were all that mattered" after winning a cup tie etc.

@Peperami: My impression of Rooney winning a penalty! DIVER!!!! #PNEvMUFC http://t.co/6gnNuJpX7m

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

It was a clear dive. I don't think any Utd supporter who is being serious would argue otherwise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,831 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

efb wrote: »
    @Peperami: My impression of Rooney winning a penalty! DIVER!!!! #PNEvMUFC http://t.co/6gnNuJpX7m

Hii

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

I find it odd that people expect Rooney to do anything other than go to ground there. The keeper is flying out and nowhere near the ball, I'd absolutely take advantage of that and expect any player to do the same.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

See ye in next round bitter Arsenal fans.

Try and show up this time.

X x x

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,911 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

I think footballers and managers alike are on TV too often these days tbh.

The post match interviews subject us to the same old tripe week after week after week. Players are trained by their clubs on how to speak to the media, what we are left with are sanitised token gestures in the form of answers to a few questions. Players talking about how"the three points were all that mattered" after winning a cup tie etc.

Because they get fined if they go off script or say anything interesting at all. The media spend the entire interview trying to make them say something to incriminate themselves, then spends the rest of the program talking about how they will be punished if they get a nibble.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

I find it odd that people expect Rooney to do anything other than go to ground there. The keeper is flying out and nowhere near the ball, I'd absolutely take advantage of that and expect any player to do the same.

Couldn't care less about Rooney diving. So many players do it these days. Only wish people (including commentators and pundits) called it as it is rather than verbally dancing around it. Kevin Kilbane excluded obviously.

B-AEVwIIUAAlhr2.jpg

Dear oh dear. At least the English media are predictable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

I think Rooney dived and could have gotten a yellow for the evacuated fall with no contract.

I would also say it was possibly a penalty without the dive. The keeper came out to fast and impeded him

I would expect most players to go down in that situitation because if you don't even if the keeper catches you a ref won't give you anything.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,116 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

matrim wrote: »

I would expect most players to go down in that situitation because if you don't even if the keeper catches you a ref won't give you anything.

Poor argument. Simple. If there is contact, then go down. If you're impeded then go down.

Rooney was neither.

Poor argument. Simple. If there is contact, then go down. If you're impeded then go down.

Rooney was neither.

You can be impeded without contact. And history has shown if you are impeded and don't go down you don't get the decision

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,116 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

matrim wrote: »
    You can be impeded without contact. And history has shown if you are impeded and don't go down you don't get the decision

I agree, you can be impeded without contact.

Rooney wasn't though. He made it clear past the keeper and the dropped.

There was absolutely no reason for him to fall over in the way he did but he has to jump over the keepers foot. Correct decision in most cases like that should be, yellow for Rooney and maybe keeper, with a penalty to united

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

So what? It amazes me that people get up on the high horse about cheating when a player dives but you never hear a peep out of them when a player takes a yellow for the team and hacks down a player on a promising break or a defender uses a bit of gamesmanship to impede a striker.

As I said earlier, if a keeper comes flying out like that and leaves himself exposed, the player should be looking to take advantage.

Regardless of the dive, it WAS a penalty for an attempted wreckless challenge

See ye in next round bitter Arsenal fans.

Try and show up this time.

X x x

Here's hoping

So what? It amazes me that people get up on the high horse about cheating when a player dives but you never hear a peep out of them when a player takes a yellow for the team and hacks down a player on a promising break or a defender uses a bit of gamesmanship to impede a striker.

As I said earlier, if a keeper comes flying out like that and leaves himself exposed, the player should be looking to take advantage.

Agree 100% professional fouls seem to be a badge of honour round these parts

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,422 ✭✭✭secman

So Rooney in full flight bearing in on goal , whilst jumping over the leg of the sprawling 6'6" keeper stubs the toes of the right foot into the grass and loses his footing and goes down. ..
    ... don't think it was a deliberate dive...

I have someone in my camp

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement