Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BOOTING WINDOWS ON A NEW PC

Options
  • 16-02-2015 3:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 48

Hi,
    I have got an usb bootable device with windows 7 Ultimate on it. (flashdrive)
    I used wintobootic to create it.
    I want to load that Windows 7 to my newly purchased PC.
    I have read on the internet that before you boot windows from usb or DVD you have to go to bios to change the boot order.
    Do i have to do it when i want to load W7 on my new computer or do you change the boot order only when you want to reinstall windows on your computer which already has some other version of windows installed?
    Sorry I am completely new in this.
    When i buy a new PC without the windows installed on it what happens when i turn it on?
    Is there only a black screen?
    Is BIOS already installed on it?
    And do i have to change the boot order do i just plug in the usb flashdrive, turn on the PC and it will just work?
    Or should i turn on my PC plug in the flashdrive, turn it off and then turn it on again??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,008 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Tomaspol wrote: »
    Hi,
    I have got an usb bootable device with windows 7 Ultimate on it. (flashdrive)
    I used wintobootic to create it.
    I want to load that Windows 7 to my newly purchased PC.
    I have read on the internet that before you boot windows from usb or DVD you have to go to bios to change the boot order.
    Do i have to do it when i want to load W7 on my new computer or do you change the boot order only when you want to reinstall windows on your computer which already has some other version of windows installed?
    Sorry I am completely new in this.
    When i buy a new PC without the windows installed on it what happens when i turn it on?
    Is there only a black screen?
    Is BIOS already installed on it?
    And do i have to change the boot order do i just plug in the usb flashdrive, turn on the PC and it will just work?
    Or should i turn on my PC plug in the flashdrive, turn it off and then turn it on again??

BIOS is provided by the motherboard manufacturer and is an upgradable semi-permanent software that resides on the motherboard.
    It has default settings chosen by the manufacturer, but by pressing a key during boot up the user can change those defaults and thus the boot order as well as many other settings.

Usually the BIOS is set to first boot from a HDD and then a CD/DVD and maybe a USB connected device.
    THat means that as it fails to find a bootable media in the list it will move on to the next item in the list until it finds something to boot.

There is also most often, without changing the BIOS defaults, an opportunity to bring up a one time list of items that can be used to boot, and if the USB stick has been attached prior to power on, then it will likely be in that list for selection.

You are seriously advised to read the manual, particularly that part concerned with BIOS.
    Also read on line, whatever you can find that seems to be relevant.

There is no such thing as too much information ;)
    So do your research!

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Tomaspol

Thank you for your help.
    I already sorted it out :)
    It was easier than i thought.

Advertisement