Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

dog show

• 16-02-2015 3:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭

So theres a few dog shows coming up in my area during the summer and i was thinking about entering my two terriers in it for fun. What kinda thing does a judge look for?. Does anyone have any experiance in this

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Knine

What kind of dog shows? Are they fun agricultural type shows? If they are, the judges usually examine the dog. Some check teeth & then get you to move around. It would be a good idea to get your terriers to get used to this & also train them to stand!

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭ohbygod

Knine wrote: »
    What kind of dog shows? Are they fun agricultural type shows? If they are, the judges usually examine the dog. Some check teeth & then get you to move around. It would be a good idea to get your terriers to get used to this & also train them to stand!

Ya a fun one. They both stand when ask too. Both have shiny coats too. I presume thats what they look for

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Knine

Mostly the judges would not have much confirmation training so they are looking for nice healthy dogs who trot around well on their lead. A child holding the lead helps too. Enjoy, they are good fun.

Knine wrote: »
    Mostly the judges would not have much confirmation training so they are looking for nice healthy dogs who trot around well on their lead. A child holding the lead helps too. Enjoy, they are good fun.

Thanks.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Lol, I've judged a few of these shows in my time :o
    I'd imagine it's a very individual thing, but I always looked for the dog looking healthy and well-groomed, on either a flat collar or harness and lead (choke chains an absolute no-no for me), reasonably well behaved (indicating some level of training), friendly (to me), and upon interviewing the handler, there were always bonus points for dogs that lived inside the house, and where the handler could tell me something funny or endearing about their dog that indicated they had a clear bond with their dog :)
    As knine said, kids and teenagers always worked too :D
    What royally peed me off were people who entered these fun shows with their pedigree show dogs, getting them into a perfect show stance and often lording it over everyone else. Now, I realise that some if them had young, novice dogs and were trying to get them used to the whole thing in an informal setting, and they were okay, but not the people with their flippin been-around-the-block show dogs... they always looked peeved when not placed too :o

• Advertisement

my 2 terriers are in great condition ther black and tan which you would rarely see. Ther coats are really shiny and there teeth are snow white. There house dogs and really friendly

• Registered Users Posts: 37 maireadH

It's also helpful if your dog doesn't roll in cow poo and then proceed to trip up the judge, as one of mine did!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Sending kids in with the dog is a gripe of mine - they always get the sympathy vote!! :p Although we beat them when Bailey won happiest dog at the IKC Pet Expo one year lol!! The judge was Niamh from Fair City :pac: My friend's OH was livid that they didn't win - he even tried to sabotage us shouting "ooooh oooh Bailey look at me" etc etc as we were talking to the judge! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

Coco made a holy show of me at the last local show I went to. It was run by our local rescue and Coco & Benson were in different categories (Benson was in the rescue group). I was in the ring with Coco and she was rightly annoyed as she was beside a Newfoundland (it's one breed she particularly doesn't like!) and then OH stood to the side with Benson who started his screetchy bark as soon as he spied Coco and wanted to come in to the ring. So of course she wouldn't walk straight and only wanted to head over to her Benson:o.

Although Cocos behaviour (which was probably only embarrassing to me) was completely overshadowed when the Newfoundland and the Bullmastiff he was standing beside started fighting as they walked out of the ring, and with the size of both of them, their owners were really struggling to hold both and in the process a woman was knocked over by one of them :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

a woman was knocked over by one of them :eek:

I was at a social hour with Bailey and Lucy and an old man was knocked down by a lab... I was :eek::eek: when I was putting my two in the car and the owners walked out with the lab and his guide dogs lead :p

I was at Pet Expo a few years ago and just as I was about to leave roped into a loose lead walking demo to make up numbers.. Grand until Bailey wee'd where some other dog had gone and then a few mins later had a poo in front of everyone. He was then recognized out in the carpark at the dog who poo'd in the ring! :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

tk123 wrote: »
    I was at a social hour with Bailey and Lucy and an old man was knocked down by a lab... I was :eek::eek: when I was putting my two in the car and the owners walked out with the lab and his guide dogs lead :p

I was at Pet Expo a few years ago and just as I was about to leave roped into a loose lead walking demo to make up numbers.. Grand until Bailey wee'd where some other dog had gone and then a few mins later had a poo in front of everyone. He was then recognized out in the carpark at the dog who poo'd in the ring! :p

I remember you said that before :D, and it always reminds me of a couple of years ago at crufts when an agility dog stopped for a poo during his course!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oo7Q8A60yTM

Advertisement