Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Complete rebuild of wastwater/sewerage

Options
  • 16-02-2015 4:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭

I registered early our home for a sewerage/waste water inspection.

I registered early as our 25yr old rural home has always had wastewater issues and i wsh to have it ressolved once and for all even though i forked out several thousands over the past 15yrs to basically "cowboy builders".

So last October our home was tested by Offaly Co. Co. and the entire system failed on all counts. We were issued a letter and given until 1st April 2015 to fix it.

Last October i contacted a local company and they came out and made two site assessments. I had to submit ot the Council a drawing of the proposed project and i did this on my pc and they would not accept that so i had to get a draftsman to draw same and submit. The Council responded and said this proposal were not adequate and so i went back to the local company and to this day they are dodging me and seems like they are not really interested in the job despite they have a good reputation on new builds. The company did tell me i am the first client to contact them in relation to the new jobs for failed systems in relation ot the new rules etc.

To this day nothing productive is done, not even a new percolation test and i am reliably informed by Offaly Co. Co. that i must carry out site peercolation tests. The council wont advise me on who to get for the jobs or who can advise me on what job is best etc.

Its very frustrating and time is running out. I also found out that if i hire the local autrority to do percolation tests that this costs €550 and there is a 4 week wait on that.

Any tips/advice would be greatly appreciated.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 41,592 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

did the council tell you why the proposals were not adequate?

you need to push the company on this, because they have supplied you with site assessments not fit for purpose.
    its actually THEY who should be contacting the council to find out what exactly they are looking for, or why the report isnt adequate.

ill just say that IF they did a site assessment without a percolation test, they are chancers.

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭CJmasgrande

The council told me the type of percolation was not favoured.

Funny the company was to contact council last week to establish hat was wrong. I got frustrated waiting so I called council and th company still never rang them.

The company wanted €10,000 from me upfront also :(

I spoke to my brother who works in construction and he said the same that a spec and cost can't b determined until the required size of percolation is established.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭PaleRider

Hi
    Check out attached site assessors.com - they should have names of qualified local site assessors.

There should be grants available? The advisory notice should be useful for getting proposed work to proceed. Ask for an extension of time allowed to undertake works.

http://www.siteassessor.com/db/offaly-percolation-test-1706.html

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭Larry Bee

You may have done so already, but I would approach the council and tell them the difficulties you are having trying to resolve the issues. Bear in mind that you do not have to meet 2015 standards as your house is 25 years old, but it will have to function properly.

Also, the April 1st deadline is most likely moveable, as there is no specific timeframe set down in the legislation.

Can you contact a different company - local authorities are not really allowed recommend some companies over others, but perhaps you can get a recommendation from somewhere like boards.

Good luck

Advertisement