Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Toddler refusing to nap

Options
  • 16-02-2015 4:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

For the past few weeks my 17 month old has been refusing her nap. When I put her down to nap she stands up straight away and cries and cries..
    She was never a brilliant napper but had been in a routine of one 1 hour nap per day since 12 months.
    I know she still needs the nap because she is very cranky without it. She does show signs of tiredness such as rubbing eyes etc.
    We have a nap routine of nappy change, story , a little rocking with a song . At the time when I am at the rocking stage she just cries and wrigges out of my arms (she knows what is coming !)
    I have tried alternating the nap times but this doesn 'to seem to help and I want to keep the routine.
    I have tried letting her cry it put for 5/10 minutes but this usually does not work and it breaks my heart...
    If she eventually does nap she will wake up from the nap very upset, inconsolable crying for up to half an hour, which can only be stopped by putting on her favourite cartoon (I do not like to do this but sometimes needs must...)
    If she doesn't nap she can also be inconsolable for much of the afternoon and evening.
    She will nap in the car or occasionally whilst out walking in her pushchair. However my DH has the car on weekdays so this is not an option for me.
    I am really at my wits end and so upset about this every day.
    Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭crazy cat lady

It must be something about the age because my almost 18 month old has just gone through a similar phase.

My little girl would usually nap for between 90 mins to 2 hours at about 11 am, but recently that went out the window. Full on screaming fit as soon as you tried to put her down. She also got bad at night time and wouldn't settle unless I was in the room with her.

She's over it now and is back to napping during the day and going to bed with little fuss. The only difference is that she goes for her nap a little later now at about 12.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Soooky

I think there is a developmental leap at that age - have you looked up the Wonder Weeks? Change in sleep routine is usually the first thing that goes out the window during a leap but it usually all settles down again after a while. Hang in there :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,358 ✭✭✭Into The Blue

Ours took to only napping in her buggy around 18 months.. Also found the louder we are, the quicker she goes down. If we tippy toe around she'll wake at the slightest noise.

Advertisement