Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

thinking of getting a new phone.

Options
  • 16-02-2015 4:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 563 ✭✭✭

Hi guys just want your thoughts on what phone I might get. I have a Sony ericsson k800i that I got new in Dec 2007. it is a good phone but age is getting to it with the connection between the charger and phone starting to act up. use mainly for calls, texts, some photo and vid. Also use it for music when walking and in the gym.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

So, when asking for a phone recommendations, help us to help you. To get a good recommendation, we will need the following information at a minimum:

What features are important to you in a phone? (i.e. camera, gps, FM radio, Stereo Bluetooth)
    Form factor - i.e. touchscreen, slider, flip phone, etc.
    Internet - is 3G/mobile internet important, or WiFi/EDGE
    Operator - have you an operator preference
    Pre-pay/Bill-pay/SIM-Free - have you a preference for either
    Price range

Add as much as possible. Have you looked at anything recently that you liked?
    A tablet, laptop or PC that you have that you want similar OS?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,342 ✭✭✭✭starlit

For the music, iPhone (ease of use and user friendly, has good features but think they are too expensive for what you pay for, i'd have a few issues with iPhone but that is me being biased as I don't get the novelty of it much prefer Samsung!) or sony experia smartphones be ideal for music. For anything else i'd recommend Samsung or HTC. Depends what you are looking for.

Samsung has slightly better features, and be iphone's competitor. The screens are a bit bigger, bigger keypad on screen. Better phone for business people. Find it has less security issues compared to iphone's, things have improved with them as you need a cloud id for some features. Just think iPhone has unnecessary apps on it and you paying for the memory size while you can add it yourself if you need more on a Samsung.

Weigh up the pros and cons of the phones you like, trial a few in the shop see what suits you best. They all should be able to pick up wifi. Choose wisely, go with what features you want yourself and compare and contrast the smartphones you be interested in. Samsung galaxy mini 3 and 4 are at a reduced price at the moment so might be a suggestion. Be cheaper than the iphones and be similar to some of the latest sony and htc phones. Huawei I'd be mixed on know a few that it doesn't last long.

• Registered Users Posts: 563 ✭✭✭dasa29

hi will look in to that doovdela thanks, here is some more info davy.

Form factor - I think either a touchscreen, or phone with a keypad.
    Internet - is 3G/mobile internet important, or Wi-Fi/EDGE not really I only was it to check the weather and maybe sports scores.
    Operator - I am with Vodafone
    Pre-pay is probably the best choice
    Price range I think between €100 to at most €300.

phone wise either a Sony or a Samsung might do the trick but will look at other makes as well.
    I have a ASUS m32 desktop with win 8.1

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

I would say Samsung.
    Apart from what's been said above already, I recently had to deal with their after sales warranty people for a 17 month old Note 2 that turned itself into a shiny paperweight.
    I still had the receipt, called them and dropped in to their repair centre and they had it back to me in 3- 4 working days with a new motherboard fitted without a single quibble. I can't find fault with that service.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

dasa29 wrote: »

Would you be upgrading 8.1 to W10?

If so it might be worth looking at how the phone would link, universal apps etc so whatever you download on the pc would be on the phone etc.

This gives an idea:> http://blogs.windows.com/bloggingwindows/2015/01/21/the-next-generation-of-windows-windows-10/

The software is not fully launched for the phones yet but if you buy a windows phone now you will be able to update it.

EDIT: Have a look at this and see what you think of it:> http://shop.vodafone.ie/shop/phones/nokia-lumia-830-pay-as-you-go-black

It can be gotten for about €280 sim free so dont look at the vodafone price. If you wanted to change networks at a later date you wouldn't need an unlock code.

• Advertisement

Hi Davy

I have not thought about windows 10 and I will look in to it. The idea of having the phone linked to the computer is an interesting one. The phone does look good and ticks all the boxes but will look at other phones as well before making the final choice.

Hi guys just an update on how I am getting on with this. After a great deal of thought I have decided to get the Lumia 640 with Vodafone the price is €149.99 which is great and you get a one year subscription to MS office personal as well. the phone can be upgrade to windows 10 in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭Asmooh

hi will look in to that doovdela thanks, here is some more info davy.

Form factor - I think either a touchscreen, or phone with a keypad.
    Internet - is 3G/mobile internet important, or Wi-Fi/EDGE not really I only was it to check the weather and maybe sports scores.
    Operator - I am with Vodafone
    Pre-pay is probably the best choice
    Price range I think between €100 to at most €300.

phone wise either a Sony or a Samsung might do the trick but will look at other makes as well.

if you want buttons or a cheaper full touch

No bloatware, 4G, no memory eating, nice updates, good quality, 16GB buildin, 2gb ram, +128gb microsd card support, simlock free.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,006 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Hi guys just an update on how I am getting on with this. After a great deal of thought I have decided to get the Lumia 640 with Vodafone the price is €149.99 which is great and you get a one year subscription to MS office personal as well. the phone can be upgrade to windows 10 in the future.
    I'm considering the Lumia 640 as well, but SIM-free direct from the official Microsoft Store for €180. I did look at the 640XL, but I did a mock-up on paper and it feels a bit too big for comfortable use as a phone. (That extra 0.7" makes more of difference in your hand than I first thought it would.)

Why a Windows Phone? I'm bored with Android now, and Apple devices don't interest me.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

hi Bnt To be honest as to the why I am getting this phone.

1 the battery can be removed from the phone unlike some other phones which means that if the battery fails I don't need another phone.

2 the one year subscription to MS office personal is good as not only is it worth €69 it can be used on 1 PC or Mac, 1 tablet (including iPad and Android tablet) and 1 phone.

3 it seems a good starter touchscreen for a person who still has a phone with buttons given the price.

• Advertisement
Advertisement