Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Old Total Fitness Gym - Clarehall/Malahide Road

Options
  • 16-02-2015 5:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭

Was in Tesco in Clarehall yesterday doing some shopping and I noticed that the car park beside the old Total Fitness gym which closed down a few years ago, is all boarded off, partitioning this from the rest of the car park.

Does anyone know what they are doing with the old gym, possibly re-opening, or with the boarding are they building something else?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,473 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

CPSW wrote: »
    Was in Tesco in Clarehall yesterday doing some shopping and I noticed that the car park beside the old Total Fitness gym which closed down a few years ago, is all boarded off, partitioning this from the rest of the car park.

Does anyone know what they are doing with the old gym, possibly re-opening, or with the boarding are they building something else?

I think Lidl have bought it and are converting it to a store.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,616 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Yes looks like Lidl/Aldi possibly and a gym, I would say more chance of an Aldi as Lidl have a store on the Malahide Road.
    The new development will consist of 3,116 square metres of shopping space on the ground floor and a 1,406 square metre health and fitness club on the first floor.

http://www.herald.ie/news/fitness-club-get-goahead-on-site-of-feesrow-gym-29043633.html

• Registered Users Posts: 20,054 ✭✭✭✭neris

Say tesco will love that a german discounter in the same carpark. Trying to get out of there next christmas in the car should be a whole load of fun

• Registered Users Posts: 6,627 ✭✭✭bren2001

Didn't know Lidl had got their hands on it. Don't think it is particularly needed there, especially considering there is one no more than 5 minutes up the road beside Woodies.

AFAIK FlyeFit are operating the gym side of it.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,351 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

It's been divided up into a few retail units with a smaller gym on site. They lodged a commencement notice to dublin city council a few weeks back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭branners69

Would be very surprised seeing Lidl there, they have Malahide Rd and Baldoyle. Could do with an Aldi but there is meant to be an Eddie Rockets and a Dealz type shop plus the gym going in.

You can see the approval on page 5 here!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,806 ✭✭✭thomasj

I don't think it will be flyefit.

Yep there was a registration for flyefit clare hall but the company registration has since changed to flyefit Georges street.

(Flyefit George's street will be opening in the next few months, signs and up and its highlighted on the flyefit website)

And flyefit tweeted this back in February about the old Tf gym in clare hall
    Yes we tried but they don't want a gym their new application is for retail only..will get another site soon

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭Asdfghjkl987

Eddie Rockets are opening soon on this site. I presume it'll be more than just Eddie Rockets though.

This is what it's supposed to look like:
    http://www.mol.ie/576505/To_Let_Clarehall_Retail_Centre_Clarehall_Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭imme

Just what the world needs, another fast food 'restaurant'.

Are there not enough in the area, McDonalds at Northside SC, Donaghmede SC, Malahide Road; a KFC in Clare Hall SC; a Burger King in Odeon Coolock car park.

imme wrote: »
    Just what the world needs, another fast food 'restaurant'.

Are there not enough in the area, McDonalds at Northside SC, Donaghmede SC, Malahide Road; a KFC in Clare Hall SC; a Burger King in Odeon Coolock car park.

To make matters worse there's also a KFC opening in Northside!!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

They need to update that site, the tesco is not 24 hours a good while now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,233 ✭✭✭deandean

There'll surely be a Starbucks in there too!

You can't buy a proper (barista) coffee anywhere in the Clare Hall campus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

If your prediction of star bucks is true then things won't be improving any time soon!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭imme

deandean wrote: »
    There'll surely be a Starbucks in there too!

You can't buy a proper (barista) coffee anywhere in the Clare Hall campus.

StarDollars and KFC, I feel ill already.
    Can people not think about their health and stop going for these dumps.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭The One Doctor

imme wrote: »
    StarDollars and KFC, I feel ill already.
    Can people not think about their health and stop going for these dumps.

If your idea of a good time lettuce and flaxseeds that's fine, but people can do whatever the hell they want. Why judge people for wanting to go to Eddie Rockets occasionally? I'm sure you enjoy being smug, but I enjoy being happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭Stimpyone

The rumour amongst the School yard Mammy’s is that there’s a Penny’s moving in. There is much excitement.

Not sure myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Khuitlio

OGEwYTg1YWIxZDVmMjg0M2UwNmE4NTlkYzFkNmJmNzJI7pwCDZN6_e6yZH49wNpbaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL21lZGlhbWFzdGVyLXMzZXUvMy8yLzMyYmY5MjZkMzNlMGI0NjBhNDcxY2Q4YTgwZmExNWMyLmpwZ3w3MDB8NTI1fHx8fHxodHRwOi8vd3d3LmRhZnQuaWUvaS93YXRlcm1hcmtfZGFmdC5wbmd8fHw=.jpg

Well these are the tenants confirmed so far. Unfortunately I highly doubt there'll be a Penneys. Tenants are somewhat disappointing to be honest.

Khuitlio wrote: »
    OGEwYTg1YWIxZDVmMjg0M2UwNmE4NTlkYzFkNmJmNzJI7pwCDZN6_e6yZH49wNpbaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL21lZGlhbWFzdGVyLXMzZXUvMy8yLzMyYmY5MjZkMzNlMGI0NjBhNDcxY2Q4YTgwZmExNWMyLmpwZ3w3MDB8NTI1fHx8fHxodHRwOi8vd3d3LmRhZnQuaWUvaS93YXRlcm1hcmtfZGFmdC5wbmd8fHw=.jpg

Well these are the tenants confirmed so far. Unfortunately I highly doubt there'll be a Penneys. Tenants are somewhat disappointing to be honest.

MOL always find the worst tenants no matter what!

CRL Centro??? is that what theyre calling it??

whats beside eddie rockets? the logo is just a brown rectangle and whatever goes in unit 8 looks like it wells out the back and out of the way

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭Stimpyone

So another pet store and another pound shop variant.........

• Advertisement

Has anyone heard of this Star Buys shop before? I'm guessing it's a euro shop but not certain :p

• Registered Users Posts: 6,627 ✭✭✭bren2001

That is the worst group of tenants I've seen in a centre. When I thought it was a Lidl/Aldi, I was delighted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭snickerpuss

That is a grim ol mix isn't it?! Sounds like it would have been better off an abandoned gym :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,233 ✭✭✭deandean

Not an inspiring list! So I wonder are these tenants carefully selected to cater for the local population demographic; or is it anyone they can get?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

deandean wrote: »
    Not an inspiring list! So I wonder are these tenants carefully selected to cater for the local population demographic; or is it anyone they can get?

Carefully selected is my bet :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭branners69

neris wrote: »
    whats beside eddie rockets?

Tanning Shop!

branners69 wrote: »
    Tanning Shop!

Perfect fit then for the "carefully selected to suit the local population" idea above

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Myself and my son (we used to train in TF) went in to Eddie Rockets, we'd two of the worse cheese burgers ever. Best avoided.

Its sickening also that we lose a place of fitness and wellbeing and open a f*cking burger joint in its place.

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭Buckfast W

It's a horrible horrible looking building and should have been torn down and just start from scratch. (Probably would've been quicker) It's just sad there's no fitness center going back into it.

• Advertisement

Buckfast W wrote: »
    It's a horrible horrible looking building and should have been torn down and just start from scratch. (Probably would've been quicker) It's just sad there's no fitness center going back into it.

with building methods and materials now a days it would probably have been quicker to tear it down and do a new build. It was a huge gym compared to these smaller places opening now which seem to be springing up everywhere

Advertisement