Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Old Total Fitness Gym - Clarehall/Malahide Road

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭Stimpyone

Brought the kids up to Eddie Rockets last night, and in fairness it wasn't bad. It was packed but they had a ton of staff.

In other gym news I hear that fly fit are opening up beside woodies. I assume it's in the furniture liquidation place. Which is great news.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Anybody know which one of the pound shop's is going in here...?

Dub13 wrote: »
    Anybody know which one of the pound shop's is going in here...?

Star buys

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Stimpyone wrote:
    Star buys

Never heard of them, have they many shop's here..?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,032 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

Is this the Star Buys in question? http://starbuys.co.uk/
    Looking forward to buying the Houses of Parliament wall hanging with LEDs. Classy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,344 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Unfortunate to see a couple of posters couldn't resist snide digs at the locals.

On topic...disappointed nobody moved in to take advantage of the very good pool facilities that were there. Gyms pop up everywhere but very few with good pools.

If I remember correctly Eddie Rockets is now where the large jacuzzi was and StarBuys roughly where the pool was. Is it a difficult process to "reclaim" these for floor space or just a case of pouring in a few tons of concrete?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

branners69 wrote: »
    Tanning Shop!
    neris wrote: »
    Perfect fit then for the "carefully selected to suit the local population" idea above

Yes, an Ugg boot shop next door and you'd mistake it for Foxrock then.

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭Asdfghjkl987

Buckfast W wrote: »
    It's a horrible horrible looking building and should have been torn down and just start from scratch. (Probably would've been quicker) It's just sad there's no fitness center going back into it.
    Mason Owen & Lyons done the exact same thing in the Omni park Santry when building the new Nandos, instead of knocking the building they completely gutted and put a new front in it. It looks awful.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 bestie1981

The Starbuys is a variant of B&M Bargains in the UK from what I've heard. It's run by Hickeys/Home Focus and the stock supplied by B&M bmstores.co.uk

Descriptions are something like 'Dealz on Steroids.' Lots of low price, high value products but not just limited to the €1.50 price point like the poundshops. Electricals, curtains, cushions etc as well as the normal grocery & household stuff.

Think it will be very good and will do very well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 bestie1981

No, see my reply to another query on the store.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭Buckfast W

Pass by the place everyday going to work and it still looks like it's gutted inside, how long does it actually take, they've been at it for ages now and it seems no closer to being ready, funny thing is there's always seems to be someone working on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

Is that not eddie rockets now? Or a different building?

Is that not eddie rockets now? Or a different building?

Same building subdivided. Eddie Rockets is the only one visible from Malahide Road. I live close by and couldn't even tell you if anything else is open apart from them

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭TarfHead

The rumour I heard is that TK Maxx are opening. And a H&M/Zara was mentioned too, but that may be just wishful thinking.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

TarfHead wrote: »
    And a H&M/Zara was mentioned too, but that may be just wishful thinking.

I very much doubt it!

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭Asdfghjkl987

It's taking an awful long time for these shops to open! AFAIK it's only Eddie Rockets open so far!

• Registered Users Posts: 12 labelleshell

deandean wrote: »
    There'll surely be a Starbucks in there too!

You can't buy a proper (barista) coffee anywhere in the Clare Hall campus.

The Natural Bakery do a damn good coffee. You should try one. Flat white comes in a small cup without asking. The bakery is savage too

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭Arbiter of Good Taste

Collie D wrote: »
    Same building subdivided. Eddie Rockets is the only one visible from Malahide Road. I live close by and couldn't even tell you if anything else is open apart from them

Nope nothing open yet. But lots of work going on

In fairness the frontage onto the road could do with some work, complete eyesore. Since they cut down the trees and bushes it looks very bare, and those railings look vicious.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 418 ✭✭Confucius say

I'm still gob-smacked that the giant Tesco there was ever given planning permission. Talk about an eye sore. Garish doesn't do enough to describe it.
    I would imagine pound land type stores or salons will open there. I used to love that gym when it was open, apart from the time my motorbike was stolen from outside or they shot a guy who worked out there in the car park who was a member of a nearby "community"!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,351 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Stimpyone wrote: »
    In fairness the frontage onto the road could do with some work, complete eyesore. Since they cut down the trees and bushes it looks very bare, and those railings look vicious.

They have to tidy that whole area up. The landscape plan submitted as a planning compliance proposal still has to be implemented.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 418 ✭✭Confucius say

kceire wrote: »
    They have to tidy that whole area up. The landscape plan submitted as a planning compliance proposal still has to be implemented.

Funny how it's ok for certain people around there to have the shells of cars on top of shipping containers outside their premises

• Registered Users Posts: 20,054 ✭✭✭✭neris

Funny how it's ok for certain people around there to have the shells of cars on top of shipping containers outside their premises

But its "part of their culture"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Less of the Traveller bashing guys.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

A friend was saying penneys were looking in to open up there.

They would absolutely rake it in, if so.

A friend was saying penneys were looking in to open up there.

They would absolutely rake it in, if so.

Heard this rumour a few times but doubtful

the tenants going in were mentioned earlier and two of them are already setting up shop in 2 of the biggest units so no chance of pennys

slightly off topic but gym related: i see theres a flyfit going into one of the units down beside woodies on the malahide road, says it,ll be open 24 hours

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

I'm still gob-smacked that the giant Tesco there was ever given planning permission. Talk about an eye sore. Garish doesn't do enough to describe it.
    I would imagine pound land type stores or salons will open there. I used to love that gym when it was open, apart from the time my motorbike was stolen from outside or they shot a guy who worked out there in the car park who was a member of a nearby "community"!

They already have all those things in the shopping centre :P I don't agree its an eye sore though, I like it.

• Advertisement

They already have all those things in the shopping centre :P I don't agree its an eye sore though, I like it.

Gotta love the Darndale Opera House :)

It is a **** shopping centre bar the Tesco though. Even the Kay's Kitchen doesn't open until 9am. Would have thought it would be worth their while to open an hour earlier even for a passing trade in coffee.

Advertisement