Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Old Total Fitness Gym - Clarehall/Malahide Road

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭Buckfast W

Just walked past the old total fatness building and it looks like they've put in turnstiles for the new gym, but it looks like the entrance might be round the back of the building

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

Buckfast W wrote: »
    Just walked past the old total fatness building and it looks like they've put in turnstiles for the new gym, but it looks like the entrance might be round the back of the building

I didn't know they were putting a new gym in?

I didn't know they were putting a new gym in?

Yeah upstairs, think it'll be up and running in march or April, it's been in the pipeline for a good while now

Signs up for new gym, think it's going to be 24.99 a month, entrance is defo around the back of the building.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,054 ✭✭✭✭neris

started work on the new easons store this week. slightly off topic but anyone know whats been built beside the texaco/topaz up at lidl & woodies? cant see anything on the council planning list

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭Stimpyone

neris wrote: »
    started work on the new easons store this week. slightly off topic but anyone know whats been built beside the texaco/topaz up at lidl & woodies? cant see anything on the council planning list

As per Dublin city planning applications

Full Development Description

The proposed development will consist of the construction of a single storey cafe/restaurant, (gross floor area 278 sq.m) south of existing petrol filling station, elevational signage, external bin storage area, revisions to site layout to provide 29 no. car parking spaces, revisions to existing entrances from the Malahide Road (R107) and Old Malahide Road, and all associated site, drainage, landscaping and development works

Planning has also been granted further up the road beside Tesco.

The petrol station, Tyre land and the old Mercedes garage will be demolished and replaced with a two story retail unit, a single story restaurant and a five story nursing home.

That is if they actually act on the planning permission

The other tyre and car garage beside tesco is for sale aswell. Over a million quid with planning for 2 retail units. Sunday business post says its speculated aldi will go into the development on the topaz/tyreland/merc site

• Registered Users Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭markc91

Stimpyone wrote: »
    As per Dublin city planning applications

Full Development Description

The proposed development will consist of the construction of a single storey cafe/restaurant, (gross floor area 278 sq.m) south of existing petrol filling station, elevational signage, external bin storage area, revisions to site layout to provide 29 no. car parking spaces, revisions to existing entrances from the Malahide Road (R107) and Old Malahide Road, and all associated site, drainage, landscaping and development works

Planning has also been granted further up the road beside Tesco.

The petrol station, Tyre land and the old Mercedes garage will be demolished and replaced with a two story retail unit, a single story restaurant and a five story nursing home.

That is if they actually act on the planning permission

Any idea of what brand of restaurant/cafe going in there? Flying up now!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,473 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

markc91 wrote: »

Another KFC I believe! :rolleyes:

Really?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭imme

Sad to see so many new fast food 'restaurants' opening up.

No doubt the owners/franchisees are happy with their fat profits

The site of the 'restaurant' was public land? Does anyone know

No idea. But there was a granted application for a Costa Coffee in the car park of the retail park. Located directly across the entrance road from McDonalds.

Perhaps they moved location slightly.

Meanwhile I believe Stafford Funeral Homes will be moving into the old Tayto factory.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,807 ✭✭✭✭L1011

The euphamism "cafe/restaurant" is most commonly used for McDonalds as a way to try convince people its, well, not one. Can't see how two KFCs that close would survive so if it is, one must be going.

No idea. But there was a granted application for a Costa Coffee in the car park of the retail park. Located directly across the entrance road from McDonalds.

Perhaps they moved location slightly.

Meanwhile I believe Stafford Funeral Homes will be moving into the old Tayto factory.

Would they put a costa there with there being one at the cinema?

• Registered Users Posts: 30,137 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

L1011 wrote: »
    The euphamism "cafe/restaurant" is most commonly used for McDonalds as a way to try convince people its, well, not one. Can't see how two KFCs that close would survive so if it is, one must be going.

A restaurant is not self service! There should be a legal distinction... and corresponding obligations... and should have some sort of liquor licence. I realise that means Eddie's is a restaurant, but hey, bring on the sliders...

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

If Im reading this right... Tesco blocked ALDI's planning permission on the site next to it?
    http://www.independent.ie/business/irish/tesco-in-bid-to-halt-aldi-irish-expansion-35511510.html

odyssey06 wrote: »
    If Im reading this right... Tesco blocked ALDI's planning permission on the site next to it?
    http://www.independent.ie/business/irish/tesco-in-bid-to-halt-aldi-irish-expansion-35511510.html

Hopefully they lose there appeal, would like to see an Aldi up that neck of the woods

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Hopefully they lose there appeal, would like to see an Aldi up that neck of the woods

There is one just down the road in Coolock in fairness... and a Lidl closer again.

whiskeyman wrote: »
    There is one just down the road in Coolock in fairness... and a Lidl closer again.

I find the one in Coolock a pain in the hole, especially with the parking so I'd avoid it , I like Lidl but fook me its like the queues never end. I usually do the weekly shop in Tesco, their click and collect is brilliant, only takes about 5 mins and you're done.

That being said we all know that Tesco aren't blocking Lidl out of genuine concern for traffic in the area or public transport links they're doing it to protect profits, hopefully Aldi get in and add a bit more competition into the immediate area.

Another thing that annoys me about Tesco is that their store in Balbriggan is actually cheaper than the one in Clarehall. :mad:

I find the one in Coolock a pain in the hole, especially with the parking so I'd avoid it , I like Lidl but fook me its like the queues never end. I usually do the weekly shop in Tesco, their click and collect is brilliant, only takes about 5 mins and you're done.

i avoid that aldi like the plague, hate the place. Theres a Lidl up in Artane which is usually nice and quiet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

That being said we all know that Tesco aren't blocking Lidl out of genuine concern for traffic in the area or public transport links they're doing it to protect profits, hopefully Aldi get in and add a bit more competition into the immediate area.
    :

May be profit reasons, but traffic / area is a concern.
    Take East Wall Road as an example.
    When Aldi moved in, not much of an impact.
    Since Lidl moved in opposite, they had to have a signaled junction to account for greater flow of traffic.
    This has blocked up East Wall no end during peak times.

whiskeyman wrote:
    May be profit reasons, but traffic / area is a concern. Take East Wall Road as an example. When Aldi moved in, not much of an impact. Since Lidl moved in opposite, they had to have a signaled junction to account for greater flow of traffic. This has blocked up East Wall no end during peak times.

I know what you're saying but I dunno if traffic concerns have been taken into account for anything around the area lately, look at the blocks of apartments they're building opposite Belmayne and all the other new developments.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,807 ✭✭✭✭L1011

odyssey06 wrote: »
    A restaurant is not self service! There should be a legal distinction... and corresponding obligations... and should have some sort of liquor licence. I realise that means Eddie's is a restaurant, but hey, bring on the sliders...

McDonalds abroad sell drink, as do the BKs in the airport - we could have that yet...

McD's always call themselves "restaurants", and the "cafe" bit is used to refer to their coffee options and make it seem less obviously a takeaway

There's no way that junction can handle Tesco and Aldi.
    Aldi would have to have their own entrance and car park with direct access from the Malahide Road - unlikely.

But on previous form e.g. allowing LIDL into Santry Omni, and Aldi and Lidl across the road from each other in East Wall - Tesco will need to object on more than traffic grounds.

Where exactly are they planning on building it? Down beside the old folks home or on the wasteland beside Belmayne?

Where exactly are they planning on building it? Down beside the old folks home or on the wasteland beside Belmayne?

where the petrol station is, between there and the "ethnic" minority. theres an old mercedes garage in behind the hoarding thats there

neris wrote: »
    where the petrol station is, between there and the "ethnic" minority. theres an old mercedes garage in behind the hoarding thats there

Ah right, in the grand scheme of things that's not a bad spot to have it. Even if it did require access from the Malahide road it would be further up on the Tesco side so I couldn't see it blocking the junction at Northern cross anymore than it already is on a normal day. Any traffic that was exiting would have to turn left towards the Darndale roundabout in order to head back in that direction (I'd assume) but how would they address the issue of traffic coming down the Malahide road in the Malahide direction, would they have to put in a new junction, because the junction for getting into Tescos is strictly no u-turns.

Would they put a costa there with there being one at the cinema?

Yep, not a Costa Coffee, according to the sign erected in the petrol station it's a Supermacs.

Yep, not a Costa Coffee, according to the sign erected in the petrol station it's a Supermacs.

Supermacs right beside Mc Donald's jeez

• Advertisement

Another supermacs closer than the one up near Bewleys or whatever that is? Where?

Advertisement