Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it worth trying to contact agencies with min 1 year lease?

Options
  • 16-02-2015 6:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭

So, I'm back in the same situation I was in as last year - trying to find a place in Athlone for the summer, for a work placement. Total duration is around 5 months.

There are 4 of us this year, so I reckoned it'd be a piece of cake finding a place. No.

It's frustrating that out of the 20ish available 4-bedroom houses available on Daft, that only 1 has no minimum lease. All of the others have a 1-year minimum lease.

I had assumed that letting agencies would be quite savvy and realise that if they managed to let a place until the end of August, they'd have the perfect opportunity to re-let for the students coming in in September.

Anyways, end rant.

Is there any point contacting letting agencies to see if they would be interested in having us stay, despite their ads specifying that the lease is 1-year minimum?

And, landlords, feel free to let me know if there's a good reason why anything less than a 1-year lease seems to be a fantasy.

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Yes, is is worth asking. Nothing ventured, nothing gained. And it's hardly a tourist mecca over the summer.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,507 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Offer to pay a bit more? Landlords want longer leases because its less hassle and they only register with prtb once. Give em an extra few quid to make it worth their while

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭Eldarion

Just inquire about summer lettings, you might be surprised at the number of landlord's who'd be interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭Cathalog

Thanks everyone.

Looks like it shouldn't be much of a problem so!

Advertisement