Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Replacement 2TB drive.

Options
  • 16-02-2015 6:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭

As per the title I'm looking to replace my *storage* drive for my PC. Already have the operating system and some key programs on an SSD and another SSD ready to go in. By storage I mean the one where I throw all my heavy programs and games on to, the drive itself is regularly used.

My 2TB seagate drive has given me nothing but problems since day 1 and now appears to be on its way out. To that end I'm looking for a replacement drive.

Preferably looking for a Western Digital, Amazon have them for around €80 for green and €133 for black. Any sites cheaper out there by any chance?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭bpmurray

About 6 months ago I bought a Seagate 4TB Desktop SSHD SATA 6GB/s 64MB 3.5" 8GB SSD Cache for €168 from dabs.ie. It's big and fast (the SSD cache helps) and I'm very happy with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Steviemoyne

Yeah, not going near Seagate anymore. Had both an external and internal drive fail on me now a short time into their lifespan.

I'll try a western digital or some other brand and see if it's more reliable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭Baked.noodle

What kind of problems have you had? My platter drive started disappearing under heavy workloads, but it turned out to be a bad SATA cable in the end. I've heard you should stay away from green drives if you want more than just media storage as they spin down after a short period to conserve power, so they are slow to come to life.

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Steviemoyne

What kind of problems have you had? I've heard you should stay away from green drives if you want more than just media storage as they spin down after a short period to conserve power, so they are slow to come to life.

Probably best to just quote my previous post from Computers & Tech. The outcome of which I decided to just keep my current drive until it started to fail, which it is now. Booted up this morning and a program tried to write data to it. Event Viewer listed about 10 errors saying that the drive was not ready and then the drive appeared to just die. It's working at the moment but for the sake of not having to download 1.2TB of data I'll grab a new drive.

Didn't see a red at that price that's a good price. Will either grab that or a black.
    Said I'd post and see what people think, it's not a critical problem just extremely annoying.

Since I built my own pc (many thanks to the lads over at PC Building & Upgrading) I've had problems with one of the harddrives I bought.

At the minute I run a samsung 120gb SSD (OS on this) and a Seagate Barracuda 2TB drive (specifically model ST2000DM001 Barracuda located and bought from Amazon.co.uk here). The Barracuda houses all my data from applications to games, I've about 1TB taken up by games alone with about 900+MB free (I've had the below problems even when the drive was near empty out of the box).

I face two problems, the drive itself stutters regularly. What I mean is if I'm playing a game or using an application installed on the drive it will make a "chirp" as if doing a sudden spin up from standstill. It will then freeze the game / application for between 1-8 seconds. It normally only does this every few minutes.

The second problem is that files on the drive keep becoming corrupt which causes check disk to run on the drive almost 5 times a week, every week. It normally causes me to be unable to delete certain files and folders until check disk recovers them. I have never had a case where a file has failed to be recovered, but it keeps "recovering orphaned files", no files are on bad sectors as the drive has no bad sectors according to check disk.

I was thinking of scrapping the drive and getting a Western Digital Blue drive instead, never had any luck with Seagate drives.

Background info:
    I built that computer for gaming and software development (full specs here except with 8gb ram and not 4).

I relocated the "My Documents" or anything resembling a "Documents" folder (due to the mass amount of games saving there) and the Downloads folders to the drive.

I don't have any complex folder structure, the drive contains a mixture of everything, none of which is ordered. Steam is there, any non steam games, Origin games, any application that doesn't benefit from running on an SSD eg: Open Office is there...so on so forth.

• Advertisement
Advertisement