Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coca-Cola Bikes

Options
  • 16-02-2015 7:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭

Does the organisation running the bikes advise customers how to use the bikes correctly? I saw a customer cycling on the footpath near Finns Corner and then proceed to cycle down the cycle lane in the wrong direction?

How/who allowed these bikes to end up taking parking spaces on South Mall and opposite College of Commerce? The city centre will be dead in a few years.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,314 ✭✭✭thomil

I8A4RE wrote: »
    Does the organisation running the bikes advise customers how to use the bikes correctly? I saw a customer cycling on the footpath near Finns Corner and then proceed to cycle down the cycle lane in the wrong direction?

Yep, they do advise that on the website of the Cork bike scheme. There is a safety tab on that page, which quite clearly states that you should not cycle on footpaths. It will be interesting to see how that works out with the stations on Grand Parade and Patrick Street, as well as Emmet Place, but you cannot simply blame Coke Zero Bikes Cork for the stupidity of their users.
    I had a similar issue by the way, when I was returning from Bishop Street to the station at Camden Quay on Saturday, when another system user with his bike cycled up the wrong way on the counterflow bike lane in South Main Street. Got a few unkind words from me.

How/who allowed these bikes to end up taking parking spaces on South Mall and opposite College of Commerce? The city centre will be dead in a few years.

Cork City Council as far as I know, and rightly so. Cork isn't built for cars, though some people still refuse to accept that fact. We have the road network of an early 20th century city, woefully inadequate for todays standards, even if every driver strictly adhered to the rules of the road, which is something that won't happen any time soon. Therefore, providing alternative transport options is simply prudent, Besides, judging from the stations at Coburg Street, and the CIT School of Music, that's just 4-6 parking spaces that are lost in each case, that wouldn't make a big change in the scheme of things.
    As far as the city being dead in a few years, that risk is that much greater if there is no way at all to move around the city. With the road infrastructure being inadequate, nowhere near enough park&ride facilities or multilevel garages, and public transport a joke, a system like Coke Zero Bikes might just be the only thing that keeps the city centre from dying due to clogged transport arteries.

Sorry, didn't mean to waffle so long, but that topic really gets me going.

Good luck trying to figure me out. I haven't managed that myself yet!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

It's your attitude and people like you that will contribute to the death of your city, as you put it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,651 ✭✭✭Milly33

I was just going to say jesus they are bikes not landrovers...I do agree people can be utterly silly with bike lanes, and cycling down the wrong way on one way streets but in fairness it is a really good scheme... I don't think people need an explanation on how to cycle a bike

And sorry parking spaces!! really

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭I8A4RE

Effects wrote: »
    It's your attitude and people like you that will contribute to the death of your city, as you put it.

How so? If you have statistical evidence please do show me!

"People like me" - Hard working family,who wishes to bring his family into town and spend it in the city centre but now I am discouraged to. As I don't rely or trust bus services, and the fact there is no bikes for families. Yes I am contributing to the death of Cork City......

I wonder who will be making money off the interest from the deposits?

• Advertisement

Milly33 wrote: »
    And sorry parking spaces!! really

Yes where am I supposed to park?

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭Going Strong

I saw two people taking bikes opposite UCC yesterday afternoon and then cycling off towards town along the northside pavement of Western Road.

Did you park in any of these spots before they put them in.. Really your sounding a bit high and mighty even trollish tis a fairly daft statement you are making..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

Are there not about 4-5 multi storey car parks all over the city?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Viper_JB

"People like me" - Hard working family,who wishes to bring his family into town and spend it in the city centre but now I am discouraged to. As I don't rely or trust bus services, and the fact there is no bikes for families. Yes I am contributing to the death of Cork City......

There's always the park and ride service, I hate driving and parking in town and it's only like a 5er at most for the day, not having a go or anything - just always has been a good option for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,571 ✭✭✭cgcsb

Did you consider the possibility that the person on the bike has no other safe way of going due to non-existent cycling facilities?

International experience the world over shows that cars kill cities with congestion and suburbanisation, with L.A being the key example. Cycles bring vibrancy to cities, see Amsterdam.

Take a bus into town if there is no parking.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,571 ✭✭✭cgcsb

At home

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭The_Banker

The park and ride system in the Black Ash is an outstanding set up...
    Park all day for €5...

Thats great value...

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Steve_hooo

How so? If you have statistical evidence please do show me!

http://arrow.dit.ie/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1010&context=comlinkoth

wrote:
    The perception of many city centre retail businesses is that a significant share of their customer base arrives to the city centre by car. In support of this assumption many store owners frequently lobby for the provision of greater road access and more parking in the city centre. On the contrary, increasing car priority can restrict overall access as well as disrupting the environmental quality of the city centre. This is a sensitive issue as retailing is a business vulnerable to competition from other locations and channels.

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭FrStone

cgcsb wrote: »

Take a bus into town if there is no parking.

How do you suggest those of us living in Donoughmore, Whitechurch, Berrings and the surrounding hinterlands take a bus? The bus service is non existent or extremely limited in many areas of the countryside yet a large amount of the population commute into town for work.

L.A. is a lovely city to work and live in by the way. The commute for many is better than a commute in Dublin. The city invested in its road networks substantially, they have synchronised their traffic lights completely. They didn't cheap it out and try to force those who aren't rich to hop on a bike, for most it is possible to commute by car in L.A.

Hthe fact there is no bikes for families. Yes I am contributing to the death of Cork City......
    There is something wrong with you if you think you are entitled to drive into the city and bikes should be banned.

Try this:
    family-bikingjpg-7310ed643b4f8ee4_large.jpg

or maybe try one of these

7PersonBike2.jpg

FrStone wrote: »
    They didn't cheap it out and try to force those who aren't rich to hop on a bike.
    That makes no sense.
    I'm rich and I cycle as much as I can, especially if I'm going into the capital city.
    No ones trying to force you onto a bike, you are being given an option. Don't blame the city for you not making an adequate living.

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭FrStone

That makes no sense.
    I'm rich and I cycle as much as I can, especially if I'm going into the capital city.
    No ones trying to force you onto a bike, you are being given an option. Don't blame the city for you not making an adequate living.

Oh I'm not saying its gotten to that yet, the fact is most people who work a job can drive in and out to work in the city centre and park for a reasonable price. I'd hate to see the place become like London where the cheapest cars you see are Mercs, Audis, BMWs and the like. While the rest of the population are forced to bike it or tube it or bus it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 372 ✭✭TINA1984

How do you suggest those of us living in Donoughmore, Whitechurch, Berrings and the surrounding hinterlands take a bus? The bus service is non existent or extremely limited in many areas of the countryside yet a large amount of the population commute into town for work.

No one forced you to live in an area with limited public transport.
    L.A. is a lovely city to work and live in by the way. The commute for many is better than a commute in Dublin. The city invested in its road networks substantially, they have synchronised their traffic lights completely. They didn't cheap it out and try to force those who aren't rich to hop on a bike, for most it is possible to commute by car in L.A.

LA is a model for urban planners the world over in how NOT to develop a city. Even they, belatedly, have kind of come around to the idea that public transit options need to be fast tracked.
    ...I'd hate to see the place become like London where the cheapest cars you see are Mercs, Audis, BMWs and the like. While the rest of the population are forced to bike it or tube it or bus it.

Imagine it, Cork having the same level of fast, efficient public transit options that London has. The horror!

There is something wrong with you if you think you are entitled to drive into the city and bikes should be banned.

Try this:
    family-bikingjpg-7310ed643b4f8ee4_large.jpg

7PersonBike2.jpg

I am entitled to drive into the city centre. What's wrong with that?

Did I say anything about banning or use the word banning in the city centre? Please re-read my posts more accurately.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

he is entitled to drive into the city if he wants to.

However, his desire to drive should not take precedent over other forms of transport. if he wants to drive into town, drive around looking for a space, pay for parking, use discs and watch the clock etc, let him. The days when the car had priority are gone though. A cyclist has as much right to be on the road as him, and is as bound to the rules also.

the loss of a couple of spaces wont impact a bit, & and as previously stated, the bike stands are usually in places where you couldn't park anyway. Saw another one going in at the back of the circuit court house, Grattan street?

In fact, i used to be a bit like him, driving everywhere.
    some kind of epiphany one day on my 4th lap of Cork looking for a parking space, kids going nuts in the car etc., when i said "f**k this". Buses, park and ride, cycle etc. from then on. still the muppets on the footpath, but there'd be these without the bike scheme.

its a fantastic scheme, and one unreported benefit of the scheme is there's more bikes now with lights around UCC rather than ninja cyclists on stealth bikes.

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭clerk

l see the negative reaction to your post but there are another circa 10 parking spaces gone on the South Mall, it will be nearly impossible to get parking down there now.

I actually agree with you. Try cycling home with a microwave or something. I've no issues with the bike scheme but bikes aren't for everybody, the elderly, babies etc. etc.

Taking away a load of spaces with no plan B is poor business for the City.

Mahon Point is mobbed every weekend. I was in the City on Sunday afternoon and it was dead.

I know the bike scheme is too cool for school at the minute but the lack of parking ( apart from mad expensive parking multi's ) is easily enough to keep thousands out of town every weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭Subpopulus

I wouldn't suggest that you do. I grew up in the wilds of east Cork and the only practical way to visit the city was by car. And this is they way it is for most rural dwellers.

The point here is that there are far too many people in built-up areas driving into the city and clogging it up for the people who have little option but to drive. No one is suggesting completely excluding cars from the city, but rather they're saying that the roads should be used more efficiently, and given over in part to other road users. The city centre has been at full traffic capacity for about two decades now. Traffic is not going to get better by building more road capacity or continuing with the status quo. We can however, reduce congestion by prioritising public transport and active travel.

How do you suggest those of us living in Donoughmore, Whitechurch, Berrings and the surrounding hinterlands take a bus?

Are you mad, sure cycling in from Donoughmore, Whitechurch, Berrings in the pissing rain is great for your health. You can then buy a buy a TV in town and cycle home with it which will be even more exercise and sure the 2 kids can sit in a basket on the front of the bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭Subpopulus

clerk wrote: »
    I actually agree with you. Try cycling home with a microwave or something. I've no issues with the bike scheme but bikes aren't for everybody, the elderly, babies etc. etc.

Buy a cargo bike.

And cycling can be for everyone.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xSGx3HSjKDo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 372 ✭✭TINA1984

clerk wrote: »

Mahon Point is mobbed every weekend. I was in the City on Sunday afternoon and it was dead.

I know the bike scheme is too cool for school at the minute but the lack of parking ( apart from mad expensive parking multi's ) is easily enough to keep thousands out of town every weekend.

Given on street parking is free on Sundays, then surely there must be another reason the CC was 'dead' on Sunday, like the fact that it was a cold and wet February afternoon.

Or maybe you're right, the loss of a handful of parking spaces to the bike scheme is in fact the tipping point for the CC going into irretrievable decline....

Subpopulus wrote: »
    Buy a cargo bike.

And cycling can be for everyone.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xSGx3HSjKDo

interesting clip...can see the strong benefit in it for people that need to use those vehicles. There's actually a neighbour of mine who uses one. Might see him whizzing down Patrick Street yet. :D

TINA1984 wrote: »
    Given on street parking is free on Sundays, then surely there must be another reason the CC was 'dead' on Sunday, like the fact that it was a cold and wet February afternoon.

Or maybe you're right, the loss of a handful of parking spaces to the bike scheme is in fact the tipping point for the CC going into irretrievable decline....

l'm not being smart but it wasn't actually wet at all for the hour or two I was there and it was mild enough too for February. I then went straight up to Mahon Point and had to park in the overflow car park. Town was dead though - hardly my fault, l was in there buying some stuff. :)

As for the parking spaces my point is the lack of a plan B, it was only recently that on another thred someone was telling me that there was plenty or parking of South Mall for the new development on the Beamish site. There's very limited parking on South Mall and now there's even less. l'm waiting for someone to tell me we're all going to cycle into the event centre now. :)

I actually cycled to college for 4 Years back in the Day and l've no issues with bikes per se. In fact l avoid Patrick street in the car like the plague due to the very Cork tradition of trying to ram your car with their bodies. Hell - l might even use these bikes the odd time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,314 ✭✭✭thomil

I am entitled to drive into the city centre. What's wrong with that?

The problem? The city itself, the road network from the 17th to 19th century that is nowhere near adequate for the amount of traffic going into it. Even the dozen or so parking spaces taken up by docking stations or cycle paths won't change that situation. Unless you're willing to flatten half the city to build additional garages or parking lots, that situation will actually only get worse.
    So, what's the alternative? Barring the investment of tens of millions of Euros in a complete revamp of the public transport network in Cork (Which is pitiful at the moment), systems like Coke Zero Bikes are the only real way forward. In fact, I'll go out on a limb here and say that the bike system is the ONLY transport system in Cork that is representative or fit for the 21st century.

Good luck trying to figure me out. I haven't managed that myself yet!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭Lekrub

Try this:

7PersonBike2.jpg
    What the hell is this??:eek: The size of a car but the danger of bike, sounds top class!

Advertisement