Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Landlord question

Options
  • 16-02-2015 8:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 812 ✭✭✭

Hi, just a quick question, my girlfriend lives away for college, she shares with 5 other girls they all have there own room and enSuite bathrooms the only thing they share is the kitchen and hallway.
    Now here's the thing the landlord lets himself in without any notification whatsoever he comes in for no reason at times, she has told me they all feel a bit intimidated by this now he only comes into the kitchen or hallway my question is, us he legally entitled to enter their kitchen without notice?
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,517 ✭✭✭Dave0301

Nope!

Notice must be given.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,536 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Are they renting the rooms individually IT have they rented the whole house ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 812 ✭✭✭wildfowler94

Individual rented rooms.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 812 ✭✭✭wildfowler94

Individual rented rooms.

However no notice given to any of them

• Registered Users Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

Chances are the landlord has retained the right to access the communal areas as they do not rent the property in its entirety. Quite common in purpose built student accommodation, which considering each room has an ensuite, this property is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭Grandpa Hassan

Dave0301 wrote: »
    Nope!

Notice must be given.

I doubt that is correct. If they have all signed a joint lease for the whole property, you'd be right. But seems like they are each independently renting rooms. The LL likely retains access to the communal parts of the house

Advertisement