Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help with computer

Options
  • 16-02-2015 8:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭

I bought a new computer at christmas and it has locked up and wont do anything. The mouse moves around but the icons wont click. Does anyone know how I might fix this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

mail wrote: »
    I bought a new computer at christmas and it has locked up and wont do anything. The mouse moves around but the icons wont click. Does anyone know how I might fix this?

Press f10 or 12 and start in safe mode and return to a previous session.

P
    Quite possible a virus or just crashed .

Have you tried restarting

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭mail

I tried the F10 and turning it off no joy. The mouse moves around but the windows 8 icons wont do anything. The shut down button, sleep and restart wont do anything either. I think I will be bringing it back to the shop. I am typing this on my old laptop which is five years old and it is much faster in responce than the new one.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,687 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Did you accept any installation prompts from popup windows while on the web?

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭mail

No, I have Norton security installed and i do not download anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭IrlMonk

First temporarily disable Norton security software and check. If it works then its your security software causing the issue.

Else, try the following and check if it helps.

1. Hit ctrl+shift+escape to open Task Manager.

2. On the processes tab , locate explorer.exe and select it,

3. then click 'end process' .

This should clear the desktop save the background.

4. Now move to the applications tab and click on 'new task'.

5. Type in explorer.exe and click OK to reload the desktop.

6. Try clicking on some icons and check if it works fine. If so, then you have something
    loading at boot that is interfering with the desktop.

If the issue persists, check in Clean Boot as there could be some third party software interfering:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,304 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

Have you run Windows Update on the machine? Make sure that the operating system is fully up to date. I've solved some very weird issues on Windows 8/8.1 machines just through running Windows Update.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 203 ✭✭AndersLimpar

Is there a restore to Default option on the computer? This should return it to the factory state (you will lose anything you have saved onto it) but if it's a software fault then this should get rid of it.

Advertisement