Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

dog poo

• 16-02-2015 8:45pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭

hi folks,im all for cleaning up my dog mess,was out with my babies today for walks,a lad passed me on one of those horse drawn buggies,about 10 yards up the road the horse let loose a right dump,i seen no one getting out a bag to clean it up,fair or not??

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,728 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Horse shíté from a healthy horse has no risks to human health, so they aren't obliged to pick it up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭sniperman

Horse shíté from a healthy horse has no risks to human health, so they aren't obliged to pick it up.
    and you know all horses are healthy?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,728 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

I don't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Knine

sniperman wrote: »
    and you know all horses are healthy?

They eat grass & hay/hard feed. What comes out the other end cannot be compared to a big dog turd & those who don't bother cleaning up probably don't worm too often either. I know which I would rather step in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,686 ✭✭✭Pretzill

OP I have to agree - and yes manure is pretty natural stuff and good for the roses but where I live, a keen equestrian area, the manure is never cleaned off the road and there's lots of it! Trouble is, like cow dung, it rots the tarmac adding to the potholed walkways.

But still I'd feel a bit odd asking the riders to dismount and kick it into the hedgerow! So I sympathise but also contemplate collecting it for the garden.

• Advertisement

Knine wrote: »
    They eat grass & hay/hard feed. What comes out the other end cannot be compared to a big dog turd & those who don't bother cleaning up probably don't worm too often either. I know which I would rather step in.
    sh*t is sh*t,and should be cleaned up form public walkways,or roads, no matter what animal it comes from,responsible ownership means just that,responsable,have you ever looked closely at horse dung?how do you know its so clean?parasites and bacteria live in all animals guts.

sh*t is sh*t,and should be cleaned up form public walkways,or roads, no matter what animal it comes from,responsible ownership means just that,responsable,have you ever looked closely at horse dung?how do you know its so clean?parasites and bacteria live in all animals guts.

Well I don't look at it closely, but I trust the word of corpologists who do, so that's how I know.

While I would agree it should probably be cleaned, it isn't practical due to the amount and size.

Can you suggest a practical solution?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭MrWalsh

Collect it and sell it as fertiliser.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

What particularly annoys me about horse poo is that one of my dogs is particularly inclined to roll in it, and when we go to the beach there's always piles of it from the local horses that run out in the morning. :mad:

While it isn't necessarily practical to clean up, it is just as much of a nuisance as dog poo tbh. Particularly if they've gone in the dunes paths on the way up or down to the beach, it's really hard to avoid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,686 ✭✭✭Pretzill

What particularly annoys me about horse poo is that one of my dogs is particularly inclined to roll in it, and when we go to the beach there's always piles of it from the local horses that run out in the morning. :mad:

While it isn't necessarily practical to clean up, it is just as much of a nuisance as dog poo tbh. Particularly if they've gone in the dunes paths on the way up or down to the beach, it's really hard to avoid.

I don't think it's that impractical to clean it up, if you live near the area you walk your horses (which is my case) - even just a once weekly shovel/brush into the verges - It would do wonders for the wild plants! On a beach though it would be hard to shift it - My dogs like to sniff at it, the odd roll but nothing compared to fox doo, which takes the smell factor off the charts!

• Advertisement

Well I don't look at it closely, but I trust the word of corpologists who do, so that's how I know.

While I would agree it should probably be cleaned, it isn't practical due to the amount and size.

Can you suggest a practical solution?
    ever watch a programme called steptoe and son?well they cleaned up after their horse using a small bucket and shovel,if dog owners have to carry round doo bags,a small plastic shovel and bag would not be too much for horse owners to carry round,as for disposal,well theres lots of bins around.;)

Keep in mind that a horse can produce over 20 kilos of crap a day. It would probably have to be a community effort to clean up after horses in an area frequented by horses, rather than the individual rider doing it themselves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

ever watch a programme called steptoe and son?well they cleaned up after their horse using a small bucket and shovel,if dog owners have to carry round doo bags,a small plastic shovel and bag would not be too much for horse owners to carry round,as for disposal,well theres lots of bins around.;)

Not many of the horses round here have a cart attached to their horse ;) and I've never once seen a rider dismount or even give a second glance backwards at what comes out of their equines. I'm trying to imagine where they'd have the small shovel attached to on their saddle or person so unless they carry a backpack it would be a non runner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭muddypaws

Lol that was a comedy about two of the stingiest men you would ever meet, of course they picked it up, they probably sold it. :p

all very good answers folks,thanks,whether or not it will ever be law to clean up after a horse like it is with dogs,its not very nice just left there,i think so anyway.

Advertisement