Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moderator Question

Options
  • 16-02-2015 8:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭

I want to purchase a moderator for my 243. Do I need to fill out a firearm application form and mark all the firearm questions as N/A as well as permissions and references (since they have them already on file), or, do I simply write a letter to the super asking for the 'S' citing my 'reasons'?

I've read some of the threads and the legislation. In particular the following from the Garda guidelines November 2014:

"The S.I, as amended, further defines all silencers, except ‘those capable of being used only with long rifled firearms’, to be restricted firearms. Silencers will not ordinarily be subject to certification. However, under section 7 of the Firearms and Offensive Weapons Act, 1990, a silencer must be authorised by a superintendent of the Garda Síochána providing that the applicant is in possession of a firearms certificate for the firearm to which it is to be fitted."

http://www.garda.ie/Documents/User/Commissioner's%20Guidelines%20-%20Firearms%20Licensing%20-%2012th%20November%202014.pdf

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭cookimonster

I submitted a letter to the Garda dealing with the firearms in my local station. I outlined the following reasons:

The use of the firearm around livestock and bloodstock.
    The need not to alarm people in the vicinity.
    Unsafe practice of wearing suitable hearing protection while stalking / hunting
    Protection of personal hearing
    Improved accuracy therefore humane dispatch due to reduced recoil etc
    Ideal for vermin control.

I was granted the permisson and a new license issued without a further fee being paid. Mind you I have heard some lads where made fork out for the cost of a new license.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭Wonky Knees

Thanks for the advice. I'll follow something similar and see what happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,219 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

I was refused a Moderator at time of buying my rifle, which was a pain as it came as a package deal. (second hand outfit)
    Tried a letter outlining most of the above points, but still refused.
    Local Sergeant advised at this stage, to leave it (Mod) in the Shop, and take the rifle & sights.
    He advised to wait till the next licence renewal (this was a change of gun, halfway through the 3 year license period) and then apply again, otherwise I would have to pay another fee.
    He also hinted that there would possibly be a change of Super in the meantime......

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭Wonky Knees

Wonder if you can appeal a mod refusal? Appears hit and miss. I don't understand the logic of granting a licence for a 308, for example, and refusing the mod. Anyway, I'll follow the advice of Cookimonster and see how it goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,024 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Add as well EU noise reduction directives requiring noise to be reduced at source ,[same law and directives as GS stopping noisy boy racer cars for decibel checks] as well as H&S law if you are doing this shooting in a pro or semi pro capacity.

Also,you might want to point out that all of the above reasons given by cookie monster have been found acceptable by AGS current head of ballistics[Det Sgt J Cummins] and stated so in a written response to a fellow CS in Limerick in a court case evidence last Oct. If they quiery it,PM me and I'll gladly send you the redacted statement.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭1shot16

When i applied for my silencer i wrote a letter with three points saying why i needed it when i handed in my sub for .22lr last year when i was 17.
    Surprised i got the silencer so easily as other have problems getting silencers granted!Super up here is dead on :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,736 ✭✭✭hexosan

Anyone have a link to the section of the European directive on sound reduction at source. I'm putting together a list of reasons for requiring a mod.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,024 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

http://www.ncte.ie/environ/noise.htm
    http://alt.roedale.de/epages/schalldaempfer.htm A very good site that explains it from a German context,where its virtually impossible to get a silencer.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 1,736 ✭✭✭hexosan

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    http://www.ncte.ie/environ/noise.htm
    http://alt.roedale.de/epages/schalldaempfer.htm A very good site that explains it from a German context,where its virtually impossible to get a silencer.

Thanks grizzly exactly what I was looking for, the German piece is spot on.

Advertisement