Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Q. PC build - cannibalizing old PC?

Options
  • 16-02-2015 9:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,252 ✭✭✭

How all

I hope i'm 1. in the right place and 2 have this right.

I've never been good with numbers nor power figures but I'm wondering do the current parts i have in any way match-up

I recently picked up a Dell Optiplex GX520, in full running order (not the greatest s of machines but it was cheap) also a Coolmasters K380 mid tower, an 78m-E45 motherboard and an AMD A-series A10 7700K processor.

My simple question is, Is it possible to cannibalize the Dell parts and make a running PC or am I still short parts?

Thanks Shane

1. What is your budget? [€xxx]

2. What will be the main purpose of the computer? Gaming

3. Do you need a copy of Windows? No

4. Can you use any parts from an old computer? Dell optiplex GX520

5. Do you need a monitor? No

5a. If yes, what size do you need.

5b. If no, what resolution is your current monitor and do you plan to upgrade in the near future? Yes

6. Do you need any of these peripherals?No

7. Are you willing to try overclocking? No

8. How can you pay?

9. When are you purchasing?

10. If you need help building it, where are you based? Lmerick

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,009 ✭✭✭Wossack

you have a working pc already :)

but no, you're short parts Im afraid. The Dell box has DDR2, and your AMD board needs DDR3 at a glance

The Optiplex power supply is probably not suitable either (unlikely to be ATX compliant, probably short cables, and is only 230W)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Hard drive is also tiny (80gb) and SATA1, so it'll be incredibly slow - and you've no graphics card. So you're really not going to be doing a lot of high quality gaming with just integrated graphics on an A10 chip.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,252 ✭✭✭Sterling Archer

Hard drive is also tiny (80gb) and SATA1, so it'll be incredibly slow - and you've no graphics card. So you're really not going to be doing a lot of high quality gaming with just integrated graphics on an A10 chip.

Cheers for that, a graphics card is planned, just not at the moment, I was gathering parts bit by bit, but got offered the Dell and a great price (basically free), and was curious if I could build a running PC,
    and now I know thanks to yourself and Wossack

Advertisement