Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

changing address on microchip

• 17-02-2015 12:32am

My cat is microchipped - I intend to move house, and want to change her address. How does one go about this?

The plot thickens though - I have concerns that present housemates may try to take the cat, hide her and keep her. If they attempt to change microchip details, will I be notified? Is it possible to report a cat as stolen?

Thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Is it your name that the microchip is registered to? And yours alone?
    If registered to your name, you're the only one who can change it (although the microchip companies work with trusted rescue groups to change ownership, but it is a relationship on trust built over years... and they know where we live :D)
    If there are multiple names registered to the chip, you could be in a bit of bother.
    If the cat is stolen, you report this to the microchip database, who then red-flag the cat so that if it shows up somewhere and it's chip scanned and entered into the system, the microchip company are onto it. a person cannot change the microchip details too easily, and even if they do, the original owner's name is always kept on the database, so once you report the cat as missing/stolen, they will not change the details under any circumstances, without your say-so.
    If the cat is stolen, you'd also be well advised to contact the guards.
    Considering your previous posts about their complete disregard for the cat's care, is it really likely they're going to steal her?
    And if you really think this is a possibility, would you not be tempted to get her out of there asap nice and quietly, and put her into a cattery for a few nights? It'd be a lot cheaper than trying to get her back by th elegal route :(

Been thinking about a good exit route for the cat, yes. Problem - I never got her inoculated. No cattery can take her.

I think they'd take her because they think she's the cool pet and stuff, they don't realise how much she costs to feed and keep, because I'm doing it behind the scenes! But they would possibly take her because at this stage, they'd take my own mother if they could (they already tried to break me and my boyfriend up!)

I need to get her out safe yes, but I need to do it quietly and secretly.

On the microchip thing, I am her owner, and there is another name and number on there for a woman who I know who works for the <snip>. She got my cat chipped for me and put both her and my names on it. I can't imagine the guards giving a second to a stolen cat. I'd think it's wasting their time, too, to be honest. The only way I'd get her back, on the chance they steal her, is if she's on some sort of database, and they bring her to a vet.

Your housemates sound delightful!
    I'm only saying to contact the guards so the there is a clear and indisputable record that you've logged the cat as stolen. I didn't mean for you to think they'd put any effort into finding her :)
    Another reason to record her theft to the guards is to offset the 366 day finders-keepers law... If you don't register her theft, and the housemates keep her, they could claim her as theirs after 366 days.
    Having her chipped, even if they don't bring her to a vet, is a pretty good way of proving ownership of a cat, so if she were to turn up anywhere and you knew about it, you could prove you're the legitimate owner.
    I'm taking it that she's registered on the PetTrace database given where you said you got her chipped? If this is the case, I'd urge you to urgently register her with fido.ie, as this is the database that most rescues and vets work with and turn to when finding a chip number and it is a more user-friendly system.
    Hopefully someone can help you out for the couple of weeks, it really is quite a bizarre situation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Knine

Your best option is to get your cat her shots asap & then put her in a cattery. Would you have a timeframe to do this?

About ten days - and her shots need to be done in two installments? Just recall that from getting my old cat his shots.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭cerastes

I viewed this thread to see how the replies were to change details on a microchip,

but reporting cats as stolen to the gardai????????????
    cmon
    I hope they laugh out loud or at least snigger as they go back into the back as you then hear bellows and howls of laughter, Im sure it will make their day, but really the Gardai have better things to be doing and I say that as the public need the Gardai to be doing better things than following up "stolen cats".

I think you may see above the reason for reporting the cat as stolen; is not so that the guards can follow it up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭Arbiter of Good Taste

cerastes wrote: »
    I viewed this thread to see how the replies were to change details on a microchip,

cmon
    I hope they laugh out loud or at least snigger as they go back into the back as you then hear bellows and howls of laughter, Im sure it will make their day, but really the Gardai have better things to be doing and I say that as the public need the Gardai to be doing better things than following up "stolen cats".

Why, there were over 100, including the Garda helicopter allocated to a funeral yesterday. Makes me feel warm and fuzzy to see how our taxes are spent.

Anyway, back on topic....OP, what kind of maniac housemates do you have!!!!!

Why, there were over 100, including the Garda helicopter allocated to a funeral yesterday. Makes me feel warm and fuzzy to see how our taxes are spent.

That's what I'm asking myself too, and why I'm moving ;)

Anyway, I know now how to change the cat's microchip details, so that's grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭daUbiq

cmon

Stolen property is stolen property... and they may have better stuff to do but they ain't doing it very well if at all. :mad:

• Advertisement

As much as its wasteful of resources, it seems necessary, and I'm one thats willing to point at the flaws of the Gardai as an organisation, that's not their fault, that fault lies elsewhere. I think the people living locally feel its a good use of resources and Id be happy to support that and see a heavier hand to deal with those that this was for, the waste of resources lays at their feet.

Anyway OP I suggest with reopening the case on Macavity, I'd like to see him taken to task.

cmon

Did you not read the thread before you went off on your dismissive little rant, no?
    If you had, not only will you see that I clarified that I did not mean it to be interpreted that AGS would go all CSI to find the OP's cat, you'll also see that I clarified that it is, in fact, really important to have an official record that an item of your property, whether it's a cat, a wallet, or a pair of gloves, has been stolen, if the poo should hit the fan. As the OP has been at pains to say, there appears to be every chance that the poo could hit the fab big-time in this case.
    I'll post said post below here, just to make it easy for you to familiarise yourself with what was actually said before you chose to be so dismissive:
    DBB wrote: »
    I'm only saying to contact the guards so the there is a clear and indisputable record that you've logged the cat as stolen. I didn't mean for you to think they'd put any effort into finding her :)
    Another reason to record her theft to the guards is to offset the 366 day finders-keepers law... If you don't register her theft, and the housemates keep her, they could claim her as theirs after 366 days.

Furthermore, owners of insured pets must log the theft of their pet with the Guards, in order to claim their insurance pay-out... just like people have to do if any item of their property is stolen.

Did you not read the thread before you went off on your dismissive little rant, no?
    If you had, not only will you see that I clarified that I did not mean it to be interpreted that AGS would go all CSI to find the OP's cat, you'll also see that I clarified that it is, in fact, really important to have an official record that an item of your property, whether it's a cat, a wallet, or a pair of gloves, has been stolen, if the poo should hit the fan. As the OP has been at pains to say, there appears to be every chance that the poo could hit the fab big-time in this case.
    I'll post said post below here, just to make it easy for you to familiarise yourself with what was actually said before you chose to be so dismissive:

Furthermore, owners of insured pets must log the theft of their pet with the Guards, in order to claim their insurance pay-out... just like people have to do if any item of their property is stolen.

I wasnt dismissive, but you are being, its an honest appraisal, if the Op thinks their cat will be stolen, then they better keep it secure rather than waste Garda resources, on top of that, I am suprised you suggest that theft can be covered or that pay outs are possible for animals that wander readily, maybe for pedigree breeds, but the Op never mentioned insurance whatsoever, so I must have missed that.
    I dont see how the poo could hit the fan? especially not big time? I dont get that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭muddypaws

I wasnt dismissive, but you are being, its an honest appraisal, if the Op thinks their cat will be stolen, then they better keep it secure rather than waste Garda resources, on top of that, I am suprised you suggest that theft can be covered or that pay outs are possible for animals that wander readily, maybe for pedigree breeds, but the Op never mentioned insurance whatsoever, so I must have missed that.
    I dont see how the poo could hit the fan? especially not big time? I dont get that.

You really should read the thread. You also obviously have absolutely no concept whatsoever about pet insurance.

The op has explained that her housemates may steal her cat.
    If they do so, and the op does not register the theft of her property with AGS, the housemates could say nothing, play innocent, and then claim the cat as their own after 366 days.
    If the op does register the theft of her property with AGS, the 366 day rule can never kick in, and the op can claim her cat back at any time in the cat's lifetime.
    But I explained that above.
    The bit about insurance was put in at the end of my post as another, additional thing for any owner (not necessarily the op) to bear in mind if their insured pet goes missing, that registering the theft in the AGS stolen property logbook (there's one in every station), is an important step. I felt the need to explain this following your laughing at the thought of someone registering their stolen property with AGS just because it's a cat... A perfectly normal, and potentially very necessary thing to do.

The op has explained that her housemates may steal her cat.
    If they do so, and the op does not register the theft of her property with AGS, the housemates could say nothing, play innocent, and then claim the cat as their own after 366 days.
    If the op does register the theft of her property with AGS, the 366 day rule can never kick in, and the op can claim her cat back at any time in the cat's lifetime.
    But I explained that above.
    The bit about insurance was put in at the end of my post as another, additional thing for any owner (not necessarily the op) to bear in mind if their insured pet goes missing, that registering the theft in the AGS stolen property logbook (there's one in every station), is an important step. I felt the need to explain this following your laughing at the thought of someone registering their stolen property with AGS just because it's a cat... A perfectly normal, and potentially very necessary thing to do.

Taking what you are posting as serious, surely they could only report the cat missing, registering a theft when you dont know if someone stole it might be construed as a false accusation, not much use without proof, unless they saw one of their housemates drive up in a van, slide back the sidedoor and catnap the feline in question. Seems like it may not be taken seriously or that the reportee might be taken as having misplaced a few screws.
    Cats by their nature wander, and seem to attach themselves to a place as much if not more than people in many cases. Im not sure how such a thing could be proved unless they found the cat in a cage in one of their housemates rooms.

All the while, real crimes go unattended due to lack of resources.

I wouldnt say I lol'd so much as raised an eyebrow, maybe a slight chortle.

The cat's in my ma's house, and I have found a new place to rent, which we move into in 11 days.

All the while, real crimes go unattended due to lack of resources.

Lol, I really do wonder, like other posters, whether you're reading the same thread as everyone else :D
    I am being serious yes, I'm not sure if you do too, but amongst other things, I work within the legal system for pets and their owners, and I'm professionally familair with how the law works when animals are stolen and missing, amongst other legal aspects of pet ownership. So, I have a fair bit of experience working with owners in positions not dissimilar to the OP. PErhaps you do too, but our experiences have been divergent?
    Other than the above quote, I'm not going to bother with the rest of your post, because you've backed yourself into a corner with your strawman arguments due, it seems, to not being prepared to admit that you were wrong to suggest the OP shouldn't go through the correct channels to report her property as missing/stolen, just because it's a cat.
    From the above quote, you also seem to want to persist with the insinuation that the Gardai should down tools to look for the OP's cat, when both I and the OP have confirmed to you that this is not what was meant.
    No, we're not talking about "real crimes going unattended due to lack of resource". We're talking about the OP going into their local Garda station, asking to report a missing/stolen item of property (which given the OP's fears were well founded), waiting a minute for the Guard on duty to write it into their little book (that's the desk Garda's job), then the OP can go home and have themselves a nice cup of tea. Happily, it seems none of this will be necessary now. :)

OP, I'm very pleased to hear your mam could help you out, I'm sure it's a huge weight off your mind to know she's safe

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

Well done OP, thrilled to read that!

Advertisement