Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cluain Fada, Headford Road.

Options
  • 17-02-2015 1:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭

Hi all,

I'd like to ask about Cluain Fada on the Headford Road and what it's like in general as a place to live.

A friend of mine has been offered a property there but they would first like to get some feedback on the area.

Would Cluain Fada be a reasonably safe place to live?

Is there many burglaries in the area or instances of anti social behaviour?

If they were to take the property it would be very long term, so they want to make sure that the area is Ok and a safe place to live.

Unfortunately they don't know anyone in Galway who would be familiar with the area who could advise and I know next to nothing about that part of town myself either other than its close to town!

If anyone is familiar with this particular estate or indeed, of similar properties on the Headford Road they would love to hear any feedback, general pros and cons of living in that area etc..

Any replies would be much appreciated.

Thanks all.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,957 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

OP, we don't usually like to criticise areas on this board - because even Galway's areas worse still have a majority of decent people in them, and are nothing like the troublesome parts of Dublin.

That said, you haven't seen a lot of people saying "I live there and it's great", which might make you pause for thought.

There aren't a lot of community facilities in the area - in fact it's one of the few parts of the city where I' struggled to find enough "interesting places" to make a neighbourhood map for. I did one eventually - http://www.galwaytransport.info/2014/07/ballinfoyle-bothar-choiste-neighbourhood-map.html - but AFAIK the community centre is still a building site, not open yet (20+ years after it was first talked about). There is a Men's Shed out there, though, which I believe is quite active.

Hope that helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭Gingganggooley

That whole general area of Ballinfoyle has a little bit of a poor reputation that is unwarranted.

I lived there several years ago and have friends who still do. It has become very quiet over the years and the yobs who caused trouble back in the nineties are long gone.

My only advice is to take a close look at your immediate neighbours and if they are among the 99% of decent folk, all should be well.

Advertisement