Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Landlord sent me Irish Water pack to register

Options
  • 17-02-2015 11:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭

I had enquired about this to my landlord before the deadline....He said he had the pack at the time etc (I don't mind paying towards it as I share with someone but I don't see why I should register especially when I have no *lease where I stay I am there 4 years)

I got the pack in the post today, saying "Sorry its so late, would you mind registering etc".....

*To be honest having no lease suits me....

Just not sure about registering this late (tbh not a thread about rights and wrongs of Irish Water)

Anyone in rental accommodation registered for this? I would prefer to pay towards it than have it potentially follow me around should I move...

Thanks......

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

CorkFenian wrote: »
    I had enquired about this to my landlord before the deadline....He said he had the pack at the time etc (I don't mind paying towards it as I share with someone but I don't see why I should register especially when I have no *lease where I stay I am there 4 years)

I got the pack in the post today, saying "Sorry its so late, would you mind registering etc".....

Just not sure about registering this late (tbh not a thread about rights and wrongs of Irish Water)

Anyone in rental accommodation registered for this? I would prefer to pay towards it than have it potentially follow me around should I move...

Thanks......

If you don't register you don't qualify for the tax rebate and will pay more

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭garhjw

Are the other utilities for the property in your name?

I would treat water the same but as another poster stated if you leave it in the landlords name you can't get the water conservation grant..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

Or the water allowances...

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

There is no late fee and bill may be higher but if/when you register you can still apply for grant and so on.

No incentive to register, no cost to been late or not register at all.

I won't be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 158 ✭✭obsidianclock

Stheno wrote: »
    If you don't register you don't qualify for the tax rebate and will pay more

Same old argument. If you don't register, they don't have your details - if they don't have your details you can't be taken to court.

If you want tax rebate, get a pension plan! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭CorkFenian

Yeah I will have to check it out.....

No problem paying it (like i said its not whether its fair or just, its not) just my own situation....

If i leave the house in a few months, and its not paid will it follow me....Are payments once off or a few times a year?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭boardsuser1

Irish Water? Never heard of them!!!

Just to confirm if i register this week, there is no late penalty etc what happens then in terms of payment etc...

(I didn't expect to get the pack hence asking all these questions dealt with since last year!!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭R P McMurphy

If you register at two different properties do you get two different grants or rebates or whatever it is

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Yeah I will have to check it out.....

No problem paying it (like i said its not whether its fair or just, its not) just my own situation....

If i leave the house in a few months, and its not paid will it follow me....Are payments once off or a few times a year?

If you leave the house- Irish Water have said the bill will follow you.
    If you decline to register- Irish Water are trying to browbeat the PRTB and Landlords- to register you (I can see this one ending up in the courts on data protection grounds- but its not going to stop them trying).

Stated payments schedule- is quarterly in arrears- i.e. you'd get 4 bills per annum.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,571 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

The whole landlord/renter issue with IW has been poorly done.

I received the pack for my rented house. I phoned IW and they said forward it to the tennant as it's their responsibility. However if tey don't pay I'll automatically be liable. So why would a tennant register ??

My current tennants are due to leave around mid year. I'll suck up any water bill they leave behind rather than take it from the deposit as that's not what the deposit is for.

However, the plan is to increase the rent going forward to build in a water allowance to cover any future bill from tennants. I know of a number of landlords doing likewise.

So the poorly implemented policy has resulted in increased rent on tennants.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭Grandpa Hassan

_Brian wrote: »
    The whole landlord/renter issue with IW has been poorly done.

I received the pack for my rented house. I phoned IW and they said forward it to the tennant as it's their responsibility. However if tey don't pay I'll automatically be liable. So why would a tennant register ??

My current tennants are due to leave around mid year. I'll suck up any water bill they leave behind rather than take it from the deposit as that's not what the deposit is for.

However, the plan is to increase the rent going forward to build in a water allowance to cover any future bill from tennants. I know of a number of landlords doing likewise.

I'm doing the same. Seems like the cleanest way to deal with it

They should have just had the household register for it, and pass the increase on to the tenants (I get on ok with landlord if he showed me receipts etc i would have no problem paying him).....Job done....

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Hold this is disgraceful coming from a landlord.

If the bills are the tenants then why would rent have to be increased that is just poor ll liabilities and rights that one would have.

If a tenant leaves owing esb or gas this will follow them to next property.

Its one thing after another in Ireland tax this that and the rest. Rents pushed up.
    No rent relief, having been pushed out of Dublin with huge rents its crazy.

garhjw wrote: »
    Are the other utilities for the property in your name?

I would treat water the same but as another poster stated if you leave it in the landlords name you can't get the water conservation grant..

I'm in a similar situation to the op, shared house, rooms let individually and all other utilities are in the LL's name and we just open the bills and pay them. We wanted to to the same with water but after discussion with the LL we concluded that the water will have to go in one of the tenants names which is a pain tbh.

It's going to be very messy when someone moves out and others in between water bills (there is a bit of a turn over of people in the house) or if I decided to move with water in my name getting it transferred to another tenant and not being stuck with the full bill etc etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Water charges aren't going away

register yourself

pay the bill

done.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

I'm in a similar situation to the op, shared house, rooms let individually and all other utilities are in the LL's name and we just open the bills and pay them. We wanted to to the same with water but after discussion with the LL we concluded that the water will have to go in one of the tenants names which is a pain tbh.

It's going to be very messy when someone moves out and others in between water bills (there is a bit of a turn over of people in the house) or if I decided to move with water in my name getting it transferred to another tenant and not being stuck with the full bill etc etc.

water charges are fixed till 2018 is it. For the moment just take 160 (the charge after the grant, and divide it by the number of people in the house. put the bill in someones name and they take that amount off each person , every month , bill or not. stops issues with turnover etc… simples.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

I registered but as I will be leaving my current accommodation in September I decided not to give them any bank details at all. I'll pay at the post office and I won't be leaving a forwarding address with my current landlord when I move out.

I registered but as I will be leaving my current accommodation in September I decided not to give them any bank details at all. I'll pay at the post office and I won't be leaving a forwarding address with my current landlord when I move out.

Sounds good I will look into paying at post office as well.....Cheers... :D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

On the IW website currently the say that the landlord won't be responsible for your unpaid bill, so if you register it's up to you to pay or not, but if you leave it with the landlord, as in they keep the utility in their name like some landlords do with electricity and gas, then I imagine you'd owe the landlord if they pay it, like any other utility, and you won't qualify for the rebate. Best to keep control of the situation and put it in your own name.

They're apparently framing legislation to deal with non-payment, but I can't imagine it will be exceptionally different to what happens currently with any other utility; i.e. it will be the non-payment section of the contract you agree with any other utility in legislative form.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

listermint wrote: »
    Pay nothing, Its all going to come crashing down this year. But sure some people already know this.

Toothless organisation, toothless regulator, reckless implementation. This thread is a prime example of how reckless it has been rents increasing to cover it.

It would all be a big laugh if it wasnt such a serious waste of our taxes.
    As the OP said this isn't a question about the rights and wrongs of IW, it's to do with the landlord-tenant relationship and payment.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,571 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Agreed.
    Lumbering landlords with this charge if tennants don't pay is crazy. They could have easily used the ESB style system where the tennant has an account with the utility and the bill follows them.
    Were adding a monthly charge to the rent, if a bill remains well have it to pay the bill.

I fully support the water charges but this angle wasn't well thought out well as it allows people to run up a bill and then walk away expecting someone else to pay.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

I never got a pack at all. Must ring to register then I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

Folks just a reminder of where you are posting - this is Accommodation and Property.
    I don't care what side of the IW debate you fall on, but this is not the place to post pro/anti charges propaganda or have a discussion on the politics behind the move.

If you can't post on topic, then please do not post at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Thanks......

See if it can follow Mickey Mouse around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

If a landlord has a big big house/building with only one water meter and several flats/units inside how is the charge paid? The LL has nothing to do with it but the tenants cant open multiple accounts all for the same meter?

How are Irish Water registering people now who have not received a water pack with their meter code on it?

Without this code they are unable to match your account to your meter!

So many unanswered questions spells a massive con job by the water company and the government!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭JCDUB

_Brian wrote: »

The poorly implemented policy has not resulted in increased rent on tenants, you have.

Way to sting the tenant again. Why would you increase your rent as a precautionary measure against a bill you can't be charged for?

This is the responsibility of the tenant and not the landlord, something you would be aware of if you cared about the welfare of your tenants.

Alas, all you care about is how much you can squeeze out of your properties.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

JCDUB- you haven't been listening to any of the Irish Water representatives on the radio lately? They disagree with pretty much every single point you've made. They have also stated unequivocally- that they expect any unpaid water bills to be deducted from property deposits, over and above any other costs that may be deducted from the deposit (aka- they want first dibs on tenant's deposits.......) This is Irish Water- not the landlord.........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

IW say a lot of things, many of which are not true yet.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

JCDUB wrote: »
    The poorly implemented policy has not resulted in increased rent on tenants, you have.

Way to sting the tenant again. Why would you increase your rent as a precautionary measure against a bill you can't be charged for?

This is the responsibility of the tenant and not the landlord, something you would be aware of if you cared about the welfare of your tenants.

Alas, all you care about is how much you can squeeze out of your properties.

That the LL will or won't be responsible hasn't been officially clarified.

I'd agree that its too early to take preventative measures. But it was predictable outcome of the disinformation in the media by a variety of parties.

The point of a business is usually to get the maximum return. Its like trying to criticize a shop for charging for milk.

Advertisement