Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pancake Tuesday!

Options
  • 17-02-2015 11:38am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭

I thought, since this is basically the National Holiday of C&R'rs I'd start a thread on the dish that many of us are going to be eating our way into a coma with tonight! What kind are you making? Do you not make pancakes at all? How many of these do you think I can eat before exploding? Did you forget it was Pancake Tuesday and have a panicky wobbler when you saw the thread title? Can I see loads of photos of the pancakes you make and does everyone always mess up their first one? I'm a bit over excited about this.

We're starting out with crepes stuffed with ham and possibly rice (I haven't decided if rice is a healthy, sensible addition or a useless filler taking the space of MORE PANCAKES) and baked in a gruyere sauce and then moving on to a dessert pancake. Which will either be red velvet or a stack of rainbow pancakes.

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Didn't even know it was pancake day. Can't remember when I last marked it

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

My annual excuse (like I need one) for Okonomiyaki - noodles fried into an egg, topped with anything you like and finished with a pancake lid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭hollster2

Is it today I thought it was the 24th?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭Rosy Posy

We have buckwheat galettes for dinner and pikelets for dessert. I've got a great galette batter recipe.

2cups buckwheat flour
    1 egg
    Tsp salt
    3 cups cider/water mix (I just measure out the bottle of cider then make the rest up with water)

I use the cake mixer and beat it for at least 5mins. It's gluten free so it takes longer to get the batter going. Then leave it for at least an hour in the fridge. I make them with emmenthal, Serrano ham and an egg cracked in the middle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭hollster2

better get myself to the shops ;o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Princess Peach

We're having thin crepes with ham, cheese and egg :D

If I have room I will have a few with sugar and lemon afterwards. I love this day!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,777 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Today is the highlight of The Kids' year. Pancakes are their favourite food cooked by Mrs B (on par with roast chicken dinner cooked by yours truly so they tell me, but I think that is just to keep The Oul' Fella happy ;)).

The lads will be alternating between Nutella & lemon/butter/sugar toppings.

I'm off to Dusseldorf this afternoon, so I'll be forgoing pancakes in favour of Schweinshaxe & some decent German beers. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

Oh galettes! Putting egg in pancakes! I'm possibly going to have to add an extension onto Pancake Tuesday this year and have another go on Saturday night. I'd really like some galettes but probably don't have enough stomach space to have those tonight too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

Was going to make galette for the first time but no buckwheat in local Tesco, so I'll have to settle for normal pancakes. Batter resting in the fridge, waiting for the boy to come home from school later and we'll have a pancake feast. Choices are:
    Banana and Nutella,
    Sauteed mushroom, spinach and parmesan.
    Sardine sambal.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Can't beat Gordon's pancakes. Nice and crispy! :)

• Advertisement

^^^^^

hehehehehe

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

Just plain old chocolate here. None of your fancy business.

https://twitter.com/earlymodernjohn/status/567624518039257088

• Registered Users Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭emc2

Love pancake Tuesday.....

I am going to make a mix of savoury crepes and then some of these http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056573503 with just maple syrup!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭Peig Sayers

• Registered Users Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭Kat1170

I like to keep it simple,

Butter, lemon juice and sugar

or

Spread with jam, rolled up and covered with custard.

Delish' :):)

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭emaleth

Married, as I am for some reason that currently escapes me, to an unbeliever, we're going for pints.

Today used to be the highlight of my year :(

Tesco sell a bag of precooked mini pancakes Emaleth that you could (and should!) bring to the pub with you and eat like crisps while you drink your pint and give your husband the filthiest look he has ever seen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

I just ate five crepes with sugar, nutella & icecream. I'm not one bit sorry :D

• Registered Users Posts: 13,771 ✭✭✭✭JPA

emaleth wrote: »
    Married, as I am for some reason that currently escapes me, to an unbeliever, we're going for pints.

Today used to be the highlight of my year :(

Doesn't believe in pancakes?!

Things worked out a little differently this evening than I thought they would Dinner ended up being a giant but fluffy pancake (or 'cardigan' as I keep typing, for why I know not) with cubes of cheddar and ham in the batter. Was most tasty. Then I made a batch of red velvet pancake batter, which was delicious with syrup & cream cheese but I got bored making pancakes that I was the only one eating. (I couldn't convince my Scandinavian friend that food the colour of barn paint was food) so I popped the rest of the batter into a mini muffin tin and BOOM baby pancake with cream cheese & maple syrup.

ESQWTip.jpg

Pancake Tuesday, Jim, but not as we know it.

I feel a bit bereft now, I have the post pancake blues. Probably should have done crepes & lemon.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Turns out Pancake Tuesday isn't really a thing over here! So instead, I celebrated Mardi Gras :D. Free 'Staff Appreciation' breakfast of a Belgian waffle, strawberries, syrup and whipped cream, with coffee. Lunch was unremarkable, and dinner was buttermilk fried chicken with mashed potatoes and green beans, drizzled with a honey butter sauce (and washed down with a Chestnut Ale ;)). Yay for Fat Tuesday!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭iwantmydinner

I made streaky bacon & maple syrup pancakes (fry the bacon to desired crispiness, pour pancake batter over it, serve with lashings of maple syrup, die and go to pancake heaven) followed by plain fluffy pancakes with an array of toppings. I went for nutella/bananas/whipped cream and then sugar/lemon.

I was cooking for boys, who now love me and my pancake skillz

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭emaleth

JPA wrote: »
    Doesn't believe in pancakes?!

Nope. Will possibly eat them for breakfast if it's the only thing going but otherwise it's a firm nyet from him. And he's American. I sometimes wonder if he was exchanged at birth.

MissF - pancakes located and devoured with Malteser spread for breakfast, post-pints. Merci buckets :D

Advertisement